3300's On Green Line

trainman8119

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the exact number of cars Kimball can hold? I remember reading a track map years ago saying 144 cars was the limit. I'm wondering if the cta plans to add another track or two as the 5000-series enters service. I can see the Brown Line having up to 180 cars assigned to it- up from the current 156.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the exact number of cars Kimball can hold? I remember reading a track map years ago saying 144 cars was the limit. I'm wondering if the cta plans to add another track or two as the 5000-series enters service. I can see the Brown Line having up to 180 cars assigned to it- up from the current 156.

I think your numbers are correct. I also think that CTA isn't going to condemn huge swaths of land in the center of Albany Park to expand the yard.

This came up about 10 years ago when Adam Kerman had his association to, in essence, fight the Brown Line expansion, at which time he posted on a Yahoo group that he was told that the Kimball Yard was not going to be expanded.

In essence, that's why you had Ravenstons (Howard yard trains), and now have Brownages (Brown Orange interline from Midway yard). In fact, the 54 yard can hold 108 cars, but reports are that it has only 44 for the Pink Line. Thus, if service on the Brown Line is ever expanded,* the more likely answer is Brink trains than any expansion at Kimball.

_________

*Kerman's other contention was that the Brown Line expansion was only to get longer trains, but decrease frequency, while the indication at that time was that out of the 406 car order of what became the 5000s, about 60 were to meet additional capacity requirements for the Brown Line expansion. Given, though, that frequency was cut to get trains through 3 track, the Feb. service cuts, and the production order of 5000s still not being authorized, it appears that Kerman may have turned out to be correct, not that anyone on this board would want to admit that.

I think your numbers are correct. I also think that CTA isn't going to condemn huge swaths of land in the center of Albany Park to expand the yard.

This came up about 10 years ago when Adam Kerman had his association to, in essence, fight the Brown Line expansion, at which time he posted on a Yahoo group that he was told that the Kimball Yard was not going to be expanded.

In essence, that's why you had Ravenstons (Howard yard trains), and now have Brownages (Brown Orange interline from Midway yard). In fact, the 54 yard can hold 108 cars, but reports are that it has only 44 for the Pink Line. Thus, if service on the Brown Line is ever expanded,* the more likely answer is Brink trains than any expansion at Kimball.

_________

*Kerman's other contention was that the Brown Line expansion was only to get longer trains, but decrease frequency, while the indication at that time was that out of the 406 car order of what became the 5000s, about 60 were to meet additional capacity requirements for the Brown Line expansion. Given, though, that frequency was cut to get trains through 3 track, the Feb. service cuts, and the production order of 5000s still not being authorized, it appears that Kerman may have turned out to be correct, not that anyone on this board would want to admit that.

That makes total sense, but the other thing to take into consideration is what equipment these lines will have once the 5000-series are fully delivered. The concept of Brown and Pink lines forming a through-route for the extra equipment needed on the Brown Line during the rush hour sounds reasonable- given all that extra space the 54th yard has. Plus, the Pink Line will not be able to borrow Blue Line trains anymore if the Blue Line will be covered by the 5000-series.

That makes total sense, but the other thing to take into consideration is what equipment these lines will have once the 5000-series are fully delivered. The concept of Brown and Pink lines forming a through-route for the extra equipment needed on the Brown Line during the rush hour sounds reasonable- given all that extra space the 54th yard has. Plus, the Pink Line will not be able to borrow Blue Line trains anymore if the Blue Line will be covered by the 5000-series.

If that were to happen, the Brown-Pink through route would be equipped with mostly 2600s while most if not all of the Brown Line's 3200s would be transferred to the Green Line. But this, as well as any future equipment moves, is pure speculation.

If that were to happen, the Brown-Pink through route would be equipped with mostly 2600s while most if not all of the Brown Line's 3200s would be transferred to the Green Line. But this, as well as any future equipment moves, is pure speculation.

I just meant for the extra one or two rush hour runs on the Brown Line, like the Ravenstons, not permanently. I think there is something else in store for the Pink Line.

I thought I saw a 3200 series train deadheading west Sunday morning on the Green Line.

I did see a 2600 series train on the Green Line today. Cars 3109-10,3151-52,3015-16. Have yet to see 5000s on Pink Line.

If you look at the article 5000's arrive someone said they are on the Pink Line now and are running 6 instead of 4 cars trains. But I personally cant wait until they put the 2600's back on the Green Line, dont get me wrong I like the 2400's and will miss them when theyre gone but it's something about those 2600's they used to run on the Green Line along with the 2000 series when I was a kid and I've always enjoyed them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the past 2days I've seen a set of 2600's on the Green Line but still haven't seen any of the 3200 series though. I wounder are they still on or off the Green Line.

Last weekend, some 3200s were laid up in the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line. However, the Green Line will press them into revenue service only if that line is short on operable 2400-series cars.

• 1 month later...

Once again I've seen a set of late 2600's on the Green Line heading to Harlem. This definitely sounds like they were borrowed from the Pink Line but I can't help but wonder is this a permanent switch for the 2600's and will they soon bring more of the 26's to the Green Line. considering the arrivals of the 5000's??

Once again I've seen a set of late 2600's on the Green Line heading to Harlem. This definitely sounds like they were borrowed from the Pink Line but I can't help but wonder is this a permanent switch for the 2600's and will they soon bring more of the 26's to the Green Line. considering the arrivals of the 5000's??

They were actually from the Blue Line. I rode a set Tuesday evening, in the mid 3100s (Pink Line starts at aabout 3159 or so).

• 1 month later...

So today I was on the snow flake tour of 2011 and as we were pulling into Ashland/63rd stop I noticed at least 2sets of 3200 series cars laid in the yard one set was a 6 car or 3200's and right next to that set was another 2 or 4 car series of 32's does anybody know why are they on the Green Line? Some one wrote not too long ago on another topic about a 8car set of 3200's on the Green Line heading towards Harlem just wondering. It was pretty cool seeing them on the Green Line I must admit as well as riding a 6 car set of 2200's too.

Last night Laramie I saw an EB 3200 series train (8 cars) deadheading. There were no interior lights on, and it was hard to get the car numbers as both that train and my WB train were moving. Then when I exited at Harlem around 11p.m., there was another 3200 series train (8 cars) sitting in the station and it immediately pulled out, even though a Green Line train pulled out of Harlem about 2- 3 minutes earlier. The latter 3200 was a set that came from the Orange Line.

Last night Laramie I saw an EB 3200 series train (8 cars) deadheading. There were no interior lights on, and it was hard to get the car numbers as both that train and my WB train were moving. Then when I exited at Harlem around 11p.m., there was another 3200 series train (8 cars) sitting in the station and it immediately pulled out, even though a Green Line train pulled out of Harlem about 2- 3 minutes earlier. The latter 3200 was a set that came from the Orange Line.

It may be true that the #3200's are being used on the weekend for Green line service. (The #2400's may be just that bad.) Although I didn't see any evidence of that last weekend when I travelled the green line. Interesting sighting though.