Academy/Pace operations.....

My first choice would be to get the Pace Nova Classics, then shop around for used equipment. Maybe west coast buses such as Los Angeles, San Diego, or the Bay area where the equipment is in much better shape.

If 1950's gillig school buses can still run on the road, then why the heck not? :P

I would agree with you, whole-heartedly.

I haven't seen the lot in almost 4 years, but do you guys still have the other transit buses (other than Orions--I'm thinking they were neoplans)?

If 1950's gillig school buses can still run on the road, then why the heck not? :P

I would agree with you, whole-heartedly.

I haven't seen the lot in almost 4 years, but do you guys still have the other transit buses (other than Orions--I'm thinking they were neoplans)?

Yes, we still have the ex-Houston Metro Neoplan artics there. A bunch of other ex-Pace Orions are there, although last month one of the 35ft Stroger Shuttles was wrecked, the whereabouts are unknown at this time. We have a couple of ex-Galesburg Transit gillig Phantoms there, most of the older MCI buses are either from NJ Transit or the Dallas Dart system. We have three GMC RTS buses, two 40 and one 35 foot bus that came about two months ago, I dont recognize the system they came from but ill check on that. But we do have an interesting collection of buses in the lot either OTR or transit buses, Ive been with Colonial for over a year and I still enjoy looking around the yard. I do wish some west coast buses would make their way to Chicago.

Yesterday evening, I was riding #2297 on Rt. 606 to Rolling Meadows (Meijers) and Back to Rosemont. But on my way back, when got on I-90, we was stuck in traffic for over an hour around 11pm because of the flip up car accident on eastbound by All State Arena, we was supposed to be at Rosemont at 10:58, but didnt get there until 12:15am, the Last one (Orion#2301) which are behind us got to Rosemont on time at 12am which it beat us because last one didnt travel on I90, it followed the route 223 way to Rosemont after notice from dispatcher/ driver I was with. I dont know yet, if the driver of the flip up car was killed or not, does anyone else know any updates about this??? By the way #2297 is still a good runner :).

Yesterday evening, I was riding #2297 on Rt. 606 to Rolling Meadows (Meijers) and Back to Rosemont. But on my way back, when got on I-90, we was stuck in traffic for over an hour around 11pm because of the flip up car accident on eastbound by All State Arena, we was supposed to be at Rosemont at 10:58, but didnt get there until 12:15am, the Last one (Orion#2301) which are behind us got to Rosemont on time at 12am which it beat us because last one didnt travel on I90, it followed the route 223 way to Rosemont after notice from dispatcher/ driver I was with. I dont know yet, if the driver of the flip up car was killed or not, does anyone else know any updates about this??? By the way #2297 is still a good runner :).

You must have had one of the newbie drivers. Weve had a bunch of new drivers coming in, I had trained three of them on Routes 696 and 699. The more experienced drivers know to take the bypass route.

I don't have any information on the accident but I did not see any news items about it so hopefully it wasn't too terrible. So what would the procedures be for something like that? I wonder if it happened just after an exit if the driver could jump off and loop around to the destination. I hope the bus you were on didn't have a bunch of people standing, that would be miserable standing for an extra hour!

Off topic but I wish we had Meijers up here in MN.

I don't have any information on the accident but I did not see any news items about it so hopefully it wasn't too terrible. So what would the procedures be for something like that? I wonder if it happened just after an exit if the driver could jump off and loop around to the destination. I hope the bus you were on didn't have a bunch of people standing, that would be miserable standing for an extra hour!

Off topic but I wish we had Meijers up here in MN.

No it wasnt no one standing, just maybe 4 seats avalible, At least we wasnt on a NABI 6600, that would be disaster. I believe it was a drunk driver that hit the media upside down, the car was smashed completely, I could've died if I was in there, I really have no clue because both 2 of those cars were newer models (like usual), felt sorry for them had to spend a high gas money to fill up before they ended up in that situation.

Off topic but to add to this: Yeah I grew up on Meijers back in Michigan where the store is based at which is my hometown Grand Rapids MI, Seems that Minnesota is busy on Super Target, it would be a good state for Meijers, not in city of Chicago LAMO!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a pic I took today of some 1991 TMC RTS buses aquired from (BAT) Brockton Area Transit of suburban Boston sitting at Academy's yard. Two 40ft. RTSs #9101, 9110 and a 35ft. RTS #9204.

post-158-1215660107_thumb.jpg

So do these RTS buses still run? What are they used for? Its nice that you got a good collection of stuff where you work.

I dont know if these RTS buses will be used for anything but its cool to see equipment from other systems make their way to Chicago. We also have three exHouston Metro artics in their original paint as well. Some of the equipment have been painted in Colonial's colors, you can still see traces of the original system the bus came from, mostly from Dallas Dart and NJ Transit.

I dont know if these RTS buses will be used for anything but its cool to see equipment from other systems make their way to Chicago. We also have three exHouston Metro artics in their original paint as well. Some of the equipment have been painted in Colonial's colors, you can still see traces of the original system the bus came from, mostly from Dallas Dart and NJ Transit.

If its anything I have learned, and considering I have family working for Colonial (I've been to the yard plenty of times since I was younger--the last time was in 2002), seeing the buses on the lot would always be the reason to even go over there.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics I took today of my bus, Orion #2289. This is the Colonial/Academy yard NW of Chicago. #2289/2290 are 35ft. Orions, #2293 is a 40ft. model, plus you see the Nabi 35ft. LF buses. I also included an interior shot of #2289 for those who have never seen the inside of one of our Pace Orions.

post-158-1216867301_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216867401_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216867484_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216867602_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216867770_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216868067_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216869527_thumb.jpg

Pace has sent to Academy another NABI #6664 with ad wrap. This bus arrived yesterday. As of two days ago I saw NABI #6608 towed onto a flatbed truck and taken away for major engine work. I also got a shot two days ago of NABI #6679 leaving Rosemont in one hell of a hurry. I also took a shot of #6631 which is the bus I drove today on Route 696.

post-158-1217472162_thumb.jpg

post-158-1217472481_thumb.jpg

post-158-1217472969_thumb.jpg

post-158-1217476745_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures :) Do you know what they do when its time to take the wrap off? I don't know if it just peels off like Saran Wrap or if they use chemicals. Also it looked like the seats are a bit more plush, better than the plastic shells anyways. I like the look of the NABI LFW's but I cannot comment on whether I think it is a good bus or not until I have ridden a few. BTW how is the stock of 40ft Orions holding up? Is 6664 replacing one or is it a spare for 6608?

Pace has sent to Academy another NABI #6664 with ad wrap. This bus arrived yesterday.
Looks like they are clearing them out of Elgin fast. 6662 and 6663 showed up on WebWatch on South Division routes. At the moment, the only ones unaccountable in that manner, and possibly still in Elgin, are 6629, 6630, 6649, and 6661.

I'm also surprised that they didn't remove the Spanish newspaper wrap from it before moving it from Elgin, since one would figure that the newspaper would have less demand in NW Cook County. Maybe it shows that the transfer was a rush job.

Also it looked like the seats are a bit more plush, better than the plastic shells anyways.
The full bench seats are found in all 6162 to 6322 and 6600s (2003 and 2005) NABIs. Actually costs two seats compared to the shell ones in the 1999 NABIs.

Nice pictures :) Do you know what they do when its time to take the wrap off? I don't know if it just peels off like Saran Wrap or if they use chemicals. Also it looked like the seats are a bit more plush, better than the plastic shells anyways. I like the look of the NABI LFW's but I cannot comment on whether I think it is a good bus or not until I have ridden a few. BTW how is the stock of 40ft Orions holding up? Is 6664 replacing one or is it a spare for 6608?

I know when they peel off it occasionally takes off a bit of paint too. The seats are the same as the rest of the models. As for vehicle performance it varies from bus to bus. Some NABIs run ok while others run better. The bus I drove today #6631 was a very good bus. As for our 40ft Orions they are all on their last legs, it wont be long before the entire Orion I fleet is retired. We have about ten left at Academy. I have an Orion assigned for tomorrow, #2302. As for #6608 it will be down for some time and we havent recieved a spare to cover it.

Looks like they are clearing them out of Elgin fast. 6662 and 6663 showed up on WebWatch on South Division routes. At the moment, the only ones unaccountable in that manner, and possibly still in Elgin, are 6629, 6630, 6649, and 6661.

I'm also surprised that they didn't remove the Spanish newspaper wrap from it before moving it from Elgin, since one would figure that the newspaper would have less demand in NW Cook County. Maybe it shows that the transfer was a rush job.

The full bench seats are found in all 6162 to 6322 and 6600s (2003 and 2005) NABIs. Actually costs two seats compared to the shell ones in the 1999 NABIs.

Im certain that the remaining Elgin NABIs will be reassigned to Academy in the near future.

I know when they peel off it occasionally takes off a bit of paint too. The seats are the same as the rest of the models. As for vehicle performance it varies from bus to bus. Some NABIs run ok while others run better. The bus I drove today #6631 was a very good bus. As for our 40ft Orions they are all on their last legs, it wont be long before the entire Orion I fleet is retired. We have about ten left at Academy. I have an Orion assigned for tomorrow, #2302. As for #6608 it will be down for some time and we havent recieved a spare to cover it.

Hope 2302 runs a bit better than 2301 was running when I was on it :lol: I wonder how much maintenance affects the NABI's? Post Edited because of going OT.

Now with the Orions are those just being scrapped as they bite the dust? I'm glad I was able to ride a couple last time I was in town, since it sounds like they'll be gone soon. I wonder if Pace could have any of the good CTA Flx's or TMC's reassigned to them for a couple years instead of just sending them to the scrapper. Thats what they are doing here with a couple '98 buses.

....The full bench seats are found in all 6162 to 6322 and 6600s (2003 and 2005) NABIs. Actually costs two seats compared to the shell ones in the 1999 NABIs.

The shell seats seem alright for shorter trips, but on the longer ones the extra padding is nice. I'm guessing Pace probably doesn't get vandals since they put the nicer seats in. I would think if Pace had any reason to buy cheaper seats they would have.

Now with the Orions are those just being scrapped as they bite the dust? I'm glad I was able to ride a couple last time I was in town, since it sounds like they'll be gone soon. I wonder if Pace could have any of the good CTA Flx's or TMC's reassigned to them for a couple years instead of just sending them to the scrapper. Thats what they are doing here with a couple '98 buses.

Why would Pace want 17 year old buses from CTA that cost loads of money just to keep running and are barely holding together even among the best of what's left in these last months of service? That's not a smart use of the increased tax dollars that are coming from my and everyone else's pockets.

Why would Pace want 17 year old buses from CTA that cost loads of money just to keep running and are barely holding together even among the best of what's left in these last months of service? That's not a smart use of the increased tax dollars that are coming from my and everyone else's pockets.

If they are all toast and expensive to maintain then never mind. I was just thinking if there were a couple that still had a few months of service left and ran well they could try to get it out of them instead of scrapping if they needed a couple substitutes. Also I forgot the ages on them, I thought they were '95 not '91 :lol:

If they are all toast and expensive to maintain then never mind. I was just thinking if there were a couple that still had a few months of service left and ran well they could try to get it out of them instead of scrapping if they needed a couple substitutes. Also I forgot the ages on them, I thought they were '95 not '91 :lol:

Even if they were 1995 buses, they would still need to be replaced soon because they'd still be beyond the FTA recommended bus life span of 12 years. Holding on to buses beyond that time span is a practice that I and other members have been saying needs to stop among the Chicago area transit providers (especially CTA). That's why the TMCs and Flxible 5300s are being scrapped. Half the 6000s and all the New Flyer 5800s are also set for retirement soon. To get back to topic at hand, shifting older buses from the CTA to Academy that are the same age or older isn't doing any favors for Academy but quite the opposite. Given the CTA's network is more extensive in terms of routes per square mile, and the buses on average operate on smaller time intervals than at Pace, CTA puts more mileage on more of its buses than Pace does. Yes there was the lease of former Pace Orions to CTA to replace the CTA's TMC 4900s, but that was because as stated the buses had a smaller mileage on average than a lot of CTA's buses of the same age. The reverse of that deal from CTA to Pace for Academy would not work out the same.

...To get back to topic at hand, shifting older buses from the CTA to Academy that are the same age or older isn't doing any favors for Academy but quite the opposite. ...

Maybe getting even close to the topic, I wonder how the engine in a fairly lightly used 5 year old bus (6608) is already dead. But, I suppose there is no answer to that.

Also, 2600 (an Aurora bus) showed up on WebWatch in Elgin today, so Pace must be really scrambling equipment.

Okay, thanks guys. Just an idea but I see it would be rather high stakes to try to keep a bus, especially a CTA one, past 12 years. (Although if they haven't already CTA should at least send a Flx and a TMC to a Museum or something.)

EDIT: Sorry I deleted part of the post jajuan, thinking about it it seemed off topic after I posted it. If I knew you were replying I would have left it :)

Okay, thanks guys. Just an idea but I see it would be rather high stakes to try to keep a bus, especially a CTA one, past 12 years. (Although if they haven't already CTA should at least send a Flx and a TMC to a Museum or something.)

Back to the subject at hand: If buses are supposed to be replaced every 12 years then that means right now the Ikarus's and all the Orion I's should be gone, and the Nova's should be gone by next year. In 2011 all the 2400 NABI's should be gone as well. To the best of my knowledge Pace does not have an RFP out for new buses currently, hmm...

Even thought CTA, Pace, and Metra got new funding for operations, their capital funds are all but nonexistent. That's why you see no documentation for Pace looking to get new buses. There is a capital bill being debated here in Illinois, but it's been stalled for a few months because our dysfunctional state legislators and governor can't agree on where the money should come from to pay for it along with the usual idiotic squabbling that Chicago will get more than the suburbs or the Chicago region as a whole will get more than downstate Illinois. In other words, it's the same tired political rhetoric from both parties as usual in Illinois.

Even thought CTA, Pace, and Metra got new funding for operations, their capital funds are all but nonexistent. That's why you see no documentation for Pace looking to get new buses. There is a capital bill being debated here in Illinois, but it's been stalled for a few months because our dysfunctional state legislators and governor can't agree on where the money should come from to pay for it along with the usual idiotic squabbling that Chicago will get more than the suburbs or the Chicago region as a whole will get more than downstate Illinois. In other words, it's the same tired political rhetoric from both parties as usual in Illinois.
Although it is not clear how much of what is needed for buses would come from a state capital bill, or from FTA 5307 funds that are supposedly no longer needed for operating after the tax hike. Throwing in that Pace has other off budget sources for buses, one can't really tell what will happen until it does.