Academy/Pace operations.....

2324 showed up on a NW route.

Can you be more specific what route you saw it on? I doubt it was any of Academy´s routes, every Orion we lose gets replaced by NABI from Elgin.

NW is Pace Northwest Division, not to be confused with Academy.

Does South Division still has #2309 and 2325 active, you know? I've been to Harvey TC and rode 364- 159th from Hammond to Orland Park and never saw any. One of them two was usually on #364 everyday. I was thought that 6629 could've went to South to replace one of them 2.

When I was at Hammond to tried to get a Nova RTS on Tri City Route, but I was just founded out that GPTC just got the new 35ft Gillig Advantage #7001 operating on that route, pretty nice bus. Maybe they replaced their couple 1991 TMC RTSes or 1994 Flxible Metros.

Okay heres a bus type question: I was on a Pace bus back in '05 going back to the La Quinta by Northwest Transit Center. This was before I really started knowing a lot about bus makes and models so I have no idea what type of bus I was on. Here is what I remember about it,

• ribbed (aluminum?) sides
  • The rear door was set into a flat opening which was a little wider than it, but the rest of the body seemed rounded.
  • It had humps on the roof over the doors.
  • Had the Pace livery with the wrench and white/blue/yellow.
  • tan shell seats with blue? solid color inserts
  • it sounded really old and ready to fall apart
  • I'm sure it was on 600 since we went nonstop from Roesmont CTA to NWTC
  • I think the heater/ac vent cover in the back was tipped out towards the front instead of flat.
  • The farebox accepted my CTA transfer and seemed pretty modern from what I remember.
  • definitely standard floor BTW.

So any ideas? In a way it makes me think of a Pace Nova Classic but I'm sure a Nova would have run way better in early '05 than that one was and Pace Novas have commuter seats right? I know the other two buses (CTA) I was on were RTS and Nova LFS. If one of these details doesn't fit I could also be remembering another bus at NWTC as well but I think the one we were on was the same as the one in the space in front of us.

EDIT: I tried looking through some pictures of Pace buses but nothing seemed to ring a bell yet. I did however find this picture. What kind of bus or van was that!!??

Okay heres a bus type question: I was on a Pace bus back in '05 going back to the La Quinta by Northwest Transit Center. This was before I really started knowing a lot about bus makes and models so I have no idea what type of bus I was on. Here is what I remember about it,
  • ribbed (aluminum?) sides
  • The rear door was set into a flat opening which was a little wider than it, but the rest of the body seemed rounded.
  • It had humps on the roof over the doors.
  • Had the Pace livery with the wrench and white/blue/yellow.
  • tan shell seats with blue? solid color inserts
  • it sounded really old and ready to fall apart
  • I'm sure it was on 600 since we went nonstop from Roesmont CTA to NWTC
  • I think the heater/ac vent cover in the back was tipped out towards the front instead of flat.
  • The farebox accepted my CTA transfer and seemed pretty modern from what I remember.
  • definitely standard floor BTW.

So any ideas? In a way it makes me think of a Pace Nova Classic but I'm sure a Nova would have run way better in early '05 than that one was and Pace Novas have commuter seats right? I know the other two buses (CTA) I was on were RTS and Nova LFS. If one of these details doesn't fit I could also be remembering another bus at NWTC as well but I think the one we were on was the same as the one in the space in front of us.

EDIT: I tried looking through some pictures of Pace buses but nothing seemed to ring a bell yet. I did however find this picture. What kind of bus or van was that!!??

Obviously none of what you say above adds up.

For instance, the wrench logo was not on any of the old buses, at that time, except perhaps on a wrap. Then, you wouldn't have seen the yellow or blue.

As to what you found, that is a Chance RT-52, on the Niles Free Bus until June, 2007. Obviously, no fare box.

There is a slight chance that one appeared on route 602, but according to Chicago Transit and Railfan, that would have been between 2000 and 2004. Since 2004, it has been run with paratransit equipment, by the paratransit contractor, and doesn't even go by the NWTC anymore.

Unless whoever the contractor was threw something of its own fleet out there in an emergency, the only things that normally ran on route 600 in 2005 were more of the same type of Orion Is that run there now.

As 5750 notes, Colonial has some Neoplans and an array of other secondhand stuff. Whether that might have been that 3 years ago is a possibility, but it certainly wasn't Pace equipment.

Obviously none of what you say above adds up.

For instance, the wrench logo was not on any of the old buses, at that time, except perhaps on a wrap. Then, you wouldn't have seen the yellow or blue.

As to what you found, that is a Chance RT-52, on the Niles Free Bus until June, 2007. Obviously, no fare box.

There is a slight chance that one appeared on route 602, but according to Chicago Transit and Railfan, that would have been between 2000 and 2004. Since 2004, it has been run with paratransit equipment, by the paratransit contractor, and doesn't even go by the NWTC anymore.

Unless whoever the contractor was threw something of its own fleet out there in an emergency, the only things that normally ran on route 600 in 2005 were more of the same type of Orion Is that run there now.

As 5750 notes, Colonial has some Neoplans and an array of other secondhand stuff. Whether that might have been that 3 years ago is a possibility, but it certainly wasn't Pace equipment.

Opps my bad :lol: I thought the older "Pace" logo had a wrench thing on the P. Again though it was three years ago so my memory is really hazy on it. I'm pretty sure it was white/blue/yellow with the lettering anyways. I'm also sure it had tan shell seats and ribbed sides like a Fishbowl. Now I'm wondering if I'm remembering a square window on a Fishbowl... But Fishbowls weren't on 600 in '05. I'm guessing it was some freak replacement by the contractor like you said. Unless there was an Orion I with tan shell seats? I wish I could remember more though, I guess it will just be a mystery.

That Chance RT 52 is neat looking, I bet the El Dorados are nicer though.

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT: Looking at CTA5750's pictures of the Orion I's again I see they have a hump over the front door, so thats probably what I remember. Just those tan shell seats...

EDIT: Looking at CTA5750's pictures of the Orion I's again I see they have a hump over the front door, so thats probably what I remember. Just those tan shell seats...

Again, if it was Pace equipment, the shells would have been black, and the inserts blue and grey stripes. That has been consistent since at least the 8700s.

Again, if it was Pace equipment, the shells would have been black, and the inserts blue and grey stripes. That has been consistent since at least the 8700s.

Thats what mystifies me :lol: BTW I realize the combination sounded weird, thats why I couldn't figure it out. It would be like someone saying they were on a MVTA bus with blue shell seats and black inserts. Oh well, I guess that will just be an unknown bus to me. Just thought I would mention it since maybe someone cold make a positive ID. At least I'm better at picking out brands now. It used to be I only recognized New Flyer, Bluebird and Gillig. Now I know most brands and I'm learning more like Champion, Van Hool, and GilligNeoplan.

Webwatch is showing 6681 on 606. Get something from Joliet (via NS and HP)?

I also see 6608 on 616. Back from the dead already?

Ive been off from Academy for two weeks, we were hurting for equipment lately so Im not surprised to find #6608 back in service so fast and #6681 was not on our roster when I left so that will be interesting to see when I go back monday. The last bus we recieved before I went on vacation was #6664. I will get a count of how many Orions on our roster, not many left. I now have to see which ones are gone.

So our NABI fleet looks like this as of today 8-15-08....

6604 to 6612

6664 as of 8/08

6681 as of 8/08

Total: 19 NABIs in Academy's fleet

I saw #6681 this morning at Rosemont and shot some good pics of it, it was spotless, rims bright silver, clean all around, Ill post pics asap.

Total: 7 Orions left at Academy

So that will leave us with 7 Orions left. Im sure our last ones will be 2289-2290.

Who knows where the remaining 6600 NABIs are assigned currently?

Other Pace news, I was told the last two Orions in service south are dead #2309 and #2325.

Who knows is virtually impossible, but to take a stab at it:

South has 6629, 6653-6660, 6662, 6663, 6677, 6678.

Joliet has 6624-6628, 6665-6675, and 6680.

6630 and 6661 still show up in Elgin.

Lisle probably still has 6615-6617, 6619-6623, 6636, 6652 and 6676

North probably has 6600-6603 and 6682-6684

West has 6618, 6679, and whatever Elgin ones (6630s through 6651) that you and others mentioned above don't.

6649 was showing up in Elgin, but hasn't lately, or anywhere else on Webwatch.

One might still be in Aurora.

Strangely, the only two divisions that have close to their original allotment are South (6653-6660) and Joliet (6666-6675).

The South ones seem more concentrated around Chicago Heights (357, 358, 366, 367) and feeders (362, 450s, 750s), although not exclusively.

Of course, Webwatch isn't the exhaustive source, since not all routes are on the map, and most of the restructured ones (Aurora, North Shore) haven't been updated.

With you saying that a lot of Orions are dead (although they still seem to turn up a lot at Northwest and North Shore), and about 6 Ikaruses still showing up at West, it looks like Pace is going to have to get some more capital pretty quick.

....Other Pace news, I was told the last two Orions in service south are dead #2309 and #2325.

Glad I was able to ride an Orion I that was running well last time I was in town. Sounds like they will be scarce next time. I did like the Orion VI's though. I wonder if Academy will ever get any of those? After you get Nova Classics of course :)

With you saying that a lot of Orions are dead (although they still seem to turn up a lot at Northwest and North Shore), and about 6 Ikaruses still showing up at West, it looks like Pace is going to have to get some more capital pretty quick.

If no capital comes through I wonder if they will have to reduce service? I could see it now, an Orion passes by for one route, then a string of minvans and cutaways for another :lol:

Glad I was able to ride an Orion I that was running well last time I was in town. Sounds like they will be scarce next time. I did like the Orion VI's though. I wonder if Academy will ever get any of those? After you get Nova Classics of course :)

The Orion Vis ride very nice but Im not too crazy about the look of the bus, I never really took to the the Orion low floor. The newer Orion model they have I do like, I rode one in Niagara Falls.

If no capital comes through I wonder if they will have to reduce service? I could see it now, an Orion passes by for one route, then a string of minvans and cutaways for another :lol:
The RTA annual report says that Pace requires "584 vehicles in use during peak periods," while a newsletter indicates that it has 705. Thus, while I am not sure whether this reflects the most recent ElDorados and a few of them having been assigned to feeders formerly run with school buses, I don't see it getting to the extent you surmise. However, it does seem that Pace needs a disproportionate number of spares, in that a typical contract operation would be for 8 buses and 2 spares. (Academy may be 3 times that.) Smaller divisions also need a number of spares, but maybe that is why we are seeing buses shifted about.

However, having about 90-100 buses of 1992-1993 vintage does entail some risk.

The Orion Vis ride very nice but Im not too crazy about the look of the bus, I never really took to the the Orion low floor. The newer Orion model they have I do like, I rode one in Niagara Falls.

Yeah, they are a bit chunky on the outside. I like the spacious interior they have since there is fewer seats. Maybe not the best case for a Pace bus but here they would work well on the 445/446.

The RTA annual report says that Pace requires "584 vehicles in use during peak periods," while a newsletter indicates that it has 705. Thus, while I am not sure whether this reflects the most recent ElDorados and a few of them having been assigned to feeders formerly run with school buses, I don't see it getting to the extent you surmise. However, it does seem that Pace needs a disproportionate number of spares, in that a typical contract operation would be for 8 buses and 2 spares. (Academy may be 3 times that.) Smaller divisions also need a number of spares, but maybe that is why we are seeing buses shifted about.

However, having about 90-100 buses of 1992-1993 vintage does entail some risk.

So according to those numbers there are 121 spares roughly, 90 - 100 of those could be '92 - '93 vintage. Hmm, they're definitely going to need to do something in the next few years. Hopefully it won't get to the point of using minivans BTW, just a funny idea thats all :D

So according to those numbers there are 121 spares roughly, 90 - 100 of those could be '92 - '93 vintage.
Nope, the spares are not distinguishable from anything else that garage has, thus, if a contractor has ElDorados, it has 9 of them, although 7 are needed to cover the route.

Nope, the spares are not distinguishable from anything else that garage has, thus, if a contractor has ElDorados, it has 9 of them, although 7 are needed to cover the route.

Oops :o I meant to get to the point that if 90 - 100 buses dropped that would not leave many spares. Sorry about that. Although most unlikely if 90 buses did suddenly kick the bucket I sure wouldn't want to be Pace's fleet manager :) Especially if the NABI's started to act up :D I definitely see now why its a bad idea to keep lots of buses past 12 years.

Ive been off from Academy for two weeks, we were hurting for equipment lately so Im not surprised to find #6608 back in service so fast and #6681 was not on our roster when I left so that will be interesting to see when I go back monday. The last bus we recieved before I went on vacation was #6664. I will get a count of how many Orions on our roster, not many left. I now have to see which ones are gone.

So our NABI fleet looks like this as of today 8-15-08....

6604 to 6612

6664 as of 8/08

6681 as of 8/08

Total: 19 NABIs in Academy's fleet

I saw #6681 this morning at Rosemont and shot some good pics of it, it was spotless, rims bright silver, clean all around, Ill post pics asap.

Total: 7 Orions left at Academy

So that will leave us with 7 Orions left. Im sure our last ones will be 2289-2290.

Other Pace news, I was told the last two Orions in service south are dead #2309 and #2325.

So does know how many high floor Orions are left? I didn't know that the south division had 2 and now none! It seems Pace NW has the most high floor Orions still in service. Seen at least three or four parked outside the Cubs game for the express service, among others on various pace NW routes.