Academy/Pace operations.....

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been out to Lisle lately, but did see that 2272 and 2288 formerly on that contract were sitting in the South Holland yard. So, that's a possibility, as well as 6649.

6681 came from Joliet, but with the restructuring there, it looks like they need about 3 fewer buses.

I guess you give us something to look for, but with routes dropping off the Webwatch map (again with the Joliet restructuring, and most of the feeders not there), it will be tough to get an instant reading, unless, as you say, they turn up at West.

Saw 6254 on 606 this week. What's the story??

• 2 months later...

Pace has updated its information on the changes that take place next month. Pace is eliminating the #699. Pace Route #696 has been revised. There is a new routing from Harper College to Woodfield. The #696 will cover a very small portion of the #699 along Roselle Rd. The Woodfield to Randhurst Mall portion remains unchanged. The #696 service hours are revised as well. Pace route #326 will have its midday service eliminated.

Pace has updated its information on the changes that take place next month. Pace is eliminating the #699. Pace Route #696 has been revised. There is a new routing from Harper College to Woodfield. The #696 will cover a very small portion of the #699 along Roselle Rd. The Woodfield to Randhurst Mall portion remains unchanged. The #696 service hours are revised as well. Pace route #326 will have its midday service eliminated.

I sort of figued that out from the Passenger Notices, but it there any net effect on employment (i.e. people getting laid off, part timers getting less time, or just positions need no longer be filled)?

I sort of figued that out from the Passenger Notices, but it there any net effect on employment (i.e. people getting laid off, part timers getting less time, or just positions need no longer be filled)?

It is a possiblity. We lost #855 and the #1012 will soon be eliminated. It has had an effect on the amount of work drivers have been getting. With hardly any tours or charters during the winter months, some of the drivers shift over to the Pace operation. I myself have experienced less work lately because of new drivers being hired which apply for full time positions and it dosent leave much for part timers like myself. There are only six or seven part timers working the Pace operation.

I just checked the new 326 and 696 timetables and it says that the routes will be operated by the Northwest Division. Is this true or just a typo?

Good eye! I didnt spot that on the back of the new timetable. Ill have to ask my supervisors abut this. Thanx!

I just checked the new 326 and 696 timetables and it says that the routes will be operated by the Northwest Division. Is this true or just a typo?

I just confirmed it with my supervisor at Academy and we are losing #696 and #326 to

Pace Northwest Garage. Probably the the #326 will be interlined with Routes #223,230, or the #610. Our loss is your gain!

I just confirmed it with my supervisor at Academy and we are losing #696 and #326 to

Pace Northwest Garage. Probably the the #326 will be interlined with Routes #223,230, or the #610. Our loss is your gain!

At least this lets me rearrange in my head where the stimulus ElDorados are going. NW doesn't need 2 existing 2700s for 690. I can't see running any of these routes with Orion VIs

Apparently, though, it wasn't a typo, and Academy gets restricted to 600 and 606, like before the cuts were threatened.

At least this lets me rearrange in my head where the stimulus ElDorados are going. NW doesn't need 2 existing 2700s for 690. I can't see running any of these routes with Orion VIs

Apparently, though, it wasn't a typo, and Academy gets restricted to 600 and 606, like before the cuts were threatened.

Don't forget the 616 should still be ran by Academy. But it does bring up an interesting question. Will the 1993 Orions at Academy officially be finished or will they get moved again? And also, is there a possibility that some Nabis get moved since all of these routes are being cut or moved to Pace NW? Also as a follow up to what Busjack was saying about the 2700s running route 690. Since 326 doesn't show up on Webwatch, I'm guessing either Nabis or Orions run this route currently. Wouldn't it make sense to send Eldorados to this route, especially since it will be rush hours only? I can't imagine this route to be all that crowded.

Don't forget the 616 should still be ran by Academy. But it does bring up an interesting question. Will the 1993 Orions at Academy officially be finished or will they get moved again? And also, is there a possibility that some Nabis get moved since all of these routes are being cut or moved to Pace NW? Also as a follow up to what Busjack was saying about the 2700s running route 690. Since 326 doesn't show up on Webwatch, I'm guessing either Nabis or Orions run this route currently. Wouldn't it make sense to send Eldorados to this route, especially since it will be rush hours only? I can't imagine this route to be all that crowded.

Youre absolutely correct the #326 should most likely be run with ElDorkos. There isnt much passenger traffic on the #326. A 30ft can handle the route both morn.and afternoon. Its possible we may lose a few buses. I would imagine the Orions would go first than the NABIs. Unless we inherit more NW routes but I dont see that a possiblity. If we stick with the three remaining routes at Academy then the fleet may be reduced. Im starting to wonder how long it will be before all the routes at Academy are gone.

My estimate on buses is that 8 were assigned with 696-699, and 2 usually are on 326, so that's 10 fewer.

If that's the case, I believe it was said earlier that there are less than 10 Orions left at Academy. CTA5750 can confirm, but I'd wonder if all of them will be gone, either retired or if they still have some life left, sent somewhere else to take out Orion buses that's on their last legs.

I believe the worst Orions (2290 and 2301, notably) would be gone first. I think the [new] schedule is designed for 3 buses at most on the rush (2 non-rush), whereas 7 or 8 prior to the change. There should be enough shifts to get rid of the Orions (system-wide), whether the ElDorkos are involved or not.

At Colonial today there was the official letter that Academy is losing Routes #326, 696, 699. No fleet reduction or reduction in manpower as a far as I know. Also on the letter it states that Academy is pursuing to operate other Pace routes. Im wondering what routes we could end up getting. I dont want us getting #223 east or west routes.

I wouldnt mind getting the #226 Oakton, it terminates not too far from Colonial's yard on Busse Rd. And we would get to operate to Jefferson Park CTA. Ill keep everyone posted.

At Colonial today there was the official letter that Academy is losing Routes #326, 696, 699. No fleet reduction or reduction in manpower as a far as I know. Also on the letter it states that Academy is pursuing to operate other Pace routes. Im wondering what routes we could end up getting. I dont want us getting #223 east or west routes.

I wouldnt mind getting the #226 Oakton, it terminates not too far from Colonial's yard on Busse Rd. And we would get to operate to Jefferson Park CTA. Ill keep everyone posted.

I previously mentioned to trainman that there is no indication that work in Pace divisions will be contracted out; history has been to the contrary, with virtually nothing inherited from the 4 big companies (Nortran, West Towns, Suburban, and South Suburban Safeway) being contracted out, and 887, 888, 626, 610, and now 326 and 696 coming back from the contractors. I wonder if the union contracts in those divisions would prevent it. The only kind of contracts in division territory have been when routes were turned over to paratransit (510 and 602).

I think you also mentioned to a CTA driver maybe to apply to Pace. There are some PTO postings in the divisions, but it appears mostly in ones that aren't taking the cuts. NW seems to balance out, in that, while losing 637, 690, and some weekend work, they are picking up 326 and 696.

Keeshin has the expressway work (supposedly on a 5 year contract).

Maybe they are thinking about bidding on some DuPage feeders, but the incumbents seem pretty entrenched. I don't know on what else they could bid. Maybe if ICE results in some new routes, but that money is supposedly tied up in ADA paratransit this year, and, from the stories on the front page, the RTA is going even deeper into hock.

Perhaps Colonial will buy an Orion or 2 to use for shuttle services. There are a few old Orions running a shuttle for Stroger Hospital. Perhaps get a few to use in addition to its old coaches on McCormick convention shuttles?

The hammerheads seem too beat up (17 years old, compared to about 12 to 14 for the 8700s-8800s when they did go into that kind of service, as RIPTA indicated). In trying to nurse a few to the end, Academy knows what it would get. I'm fairly sure that the few left at N, NS, and NW probably aren't too much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on if Academy is picking up any routes or will it end up being 600, 606, and 616?

Any word on if Academy is picking up any routes or will it end up being 600, 606, and 616?

For now just the three routes left. Academy is hoping to aquire more Pace routes but we have to see what happens there. We lost both #855 and #1012, now the #696 and #326. Hopefully we can get more routes soon. Im probably gonna be off for a while after tomorrow. Once again, too many drivers and not enough work.

For now just the three routes left. Academy is hoping to aquire more Pace routes but we have to see what happens there. We lost both #855 and #1012, now the #696 and #326. Hopefully we can get more routes soon. Im probably gonna be off for a while after tomorrow. Once again, too many drivers and not enough work.

Stinks man, I hope things pick up for you soon.

Stinks man, I hope things pick up for you soon.

Thanks very much, I hope so!. Ive been at Academy for three years now and I enjoy every minute Im there drivng the Pace Routes. Even nicer getting to be an extra driver so everyday is different. For the last few months Ive been assigned Run #119 on the #699. I got so accustomed to it, I know the entire run paddle by memory from start to finish! including the IDOT trip I would make at 07:20am. Now tomorrow will be the last run on this route, I will miss it! Met a lot of nice people on that route, I had a lot of fun driving it. Hopefully a new beginning if we get new routes. I dont plan to leave Academy because of this, I will stick with it unless theres no more Pace contract. For now it will be only #600, #606 and #616.

This morning I drove Nabi #6632/6634 out to Inland Diesel in Carol Stream from there they will be assigned to Pace West Garage. In addition I found out today we will begin shipping out buses #6604 thru #6631. The Orions for now will stay put. Academy is trying to get more Pace 40 footers. I also took a trip to Pace North Shore/Evanston. Took a pic of a Nova Classic #2392, I will post asap.