Academy/Pace operations.....

Thanks for confirming, although this also confirms that my guess in response to rotjohns was wrong. At least I was right in concluding that Academy would lose about 10 buses as a result of Feb. 7-- from your report 13--and that it looks like NW wasn't getting any NABIs.

Am I correct for taking from your report that Academy is keeping any 6600 over 6634--from your last list, 6635, 6636, 6641, 6642 6645, 6646 6664, 6681 ?

Also, since you indicate that the 6600s (or some of them) are going to West, does the rumor mill indicate that some West 6200s are going to Academy, since they asked for 40 footers?

This morning I drove Nabi #6632/6634 out to Inland Diesel in Carol Stream from there they will be assigned to Pace West Garage. In addition I found out today we will begin shipping out buses #6604 thru #6631. The Orions for now will stay put. Academy is trying to get more Pace 40 footers. I also took a trip to Pace North Shore/Evanston. Took a pic of a Nova Classic #2392, I will post asap.

For the past weeks, I checked the webwatch and for the North Shore Routes: I've never seen any Novas on any of their routes, how many are them Novas left at NS?

For the past weeks, I checked the webwatch and for the North Shore Routes: I've never seen any Novas on any of their routes, how many are them Novas left at NS?

I think there are 4 or 5, but they seem to be used mostly as spares. Usually 626 is being run with NABIs,* and Novas might show up occasionally on 421 or a 63x, both being rush hour routes, but even then not very frequently. The last time I saw one on 422 must have been at least 3 years ago. Cruising around WebWatch today confirms that I don't see any, while I still see the 35 foot Orions and a lot of 6200s on NS routes. Maybe a better reading of the Shuttle Bugs will be around 5:00 p.m.

Having said that, I pull out the next bit of speculation: While the Pace budget says 22 new 40 footers, that might be BRTs for the 3 routes it says might be converted to ART in 2012. Admittedly wild speculation on my part. However, with the losses resulting from the service cuts announced yesterday, and the 58 stimulus buses to come, I can't see any high floor lasting very long, which I know you don't want to hear.

*Note to rotjohns: 6256 just showed up on 626, so that really is the end for them in Joliet.

post-14-12656676424878_thumb.jpg

I think there are 4 or 5, but they seem to be used mostly as spares. Usually 626 is being run with NABIs,* and Novas might show up occasionally on 421 or a 63x, both being rush hour routes, but even then not very frequently. The last time I saw one on 422 must have been at least 3 years ago. Cruising around WebWatch today confirms that I don't see any, while I still see the 35 foot Orions and a lot of 6200s on NS routes. Maybe a better reading of the Shuttle Bugs will be around 5:00 p.m.

Having said that, I pull out the next bit of speculation: While the Pace budget says 22 new 40 footers, that might be BRTs for the 3 routes it says might be converted to ART in 2012. Admittedly wild speculation on my part. However, with the losses resulting from the service cuts announced yesterday, and the 58 stimulus buses to come, I can't see any high floor lasting very long, which I know you don't want to hear.

*Note to rotjohns: 6256 just showed up on 626, so that really is the end for them in Joliet.

post-14-12656676424878_thumb.jpg

Thanks Busjack, I was wondering what happened to 6256. In response to Novas, I know 2393 is still there, I saw it last week on Webwatch on the 626 during a.m. rush hour. 2390 was still there as of a month ago, but I don't know what's happened to it. Don't look for them on shuttle bugs, those have been mostly Orions and 35-foot Nabis (also Eldos).

Thanks for confirming, although this also confirms that my guess in response to rotjohns was wrong. At least I was right in concluding that Academy would lose about 10 buses as a result of Feb. 7-- from your report 13--and that it looks like NW wasn't getting any NABIs.

Am I correct for taking from your report that Academy is keeping any 6600 over 6634--from your last list, 6635, 6636, 6641, 6642 6645, 6646 6664, 6681 ?

Also, since you indicate that the 6600s (or some of them) are going to West, does the rumor mill indicate that some West 6200s are going to Academy, since they asked for 40 footers?

This also tells me that West doesn't need that many 40-footers, they are clearly monitoring ridership at that facility and not too many are standing room only compared to CTA. I'm still curious as to why those Nabis don't head up to Waukegan considering how horrible the Orions are up there? I guess they are content to stick it out at least until the end of the school year, then go from there. Academy needs more 40-footers, 3 of them won't cut it for the 606, especially during rush hour.

Thats a good question, it could be possible that we may just settle for a trade off, 35ft for 40ft. which make sense and they are still needed at Academy. Buses #6635 and up as well as the Orions will remain as far as I know. I signed on to work thurs. after I get off from the firehouse in the event additional buses need to be transferred out or in. Hopefully I can bring back a 6200 bus if thats the plan!. To everyone reading this, Ill tell you it was an eerie feeling coming in to Academy this morning and not seeing many drivers coming in and out for their assigned runs, the bus transfers and on top of it finding out some drivers and a dispatcher were either let go or quit altogether, sure felt a bit isolated there. A couple of good friends I had there I found out had left. Here are some pics I shot today. A shot of #6250 at Academy, Nabi #6634 prior to leaving for Inland Diesel/Carol Stream, the two Nabis I drove there, #6632/6634 to Inland, Nova Classic #2392 at Pace NS. I wanted to dump the BlueBird I was driving and grab that beautiful Nova and take her to Academy and have my way with her!! :) lol!! With regards to CTA, I think the GMC Fishbowl from beginning to end was the coolest bus in the history of the fleet. At Pace, In my opinion I think the Nova Classic was the coolest looking bus in the history of the Pace fleet! It really stands out!!

post-158-12656725205138_thumb.jpg

post-158-12656725722534_thumb.jpg

post-158-12656726062061_thumb.jpg

post-158-1265672633109_thumb.jpg

post-158-1265672660587_thumb.jpg

I spotted three Novas there at North Shore, the one outside and two sitting side by side inside the garage. Other buses I spotted there were Nabi #6240, #6670, Orion #2278, Nova #2390.

Thats a good question, it could be possible that we may just settle for a trade off, 35ft for 40ft. which make sense and they are still needed at Academy. Buses #6635 and up as well as the Orions will remain as far as I know. I signed on to work thurs. after I get off from the firehouse in the event additional buses need to be transferred out or in. Hopefully I can bring back a 6200 bus if thats the plan!. To everyone reading this, Ill tell you it was an eerie feeling coming in to Academy this morning and not seeing many drivers coming in and out for their assigned runs, the bus transfers and on top of it finding out some drivers and a dispatcher were either let go or quit altogether, sure felt a bit isolated there. A couple of good friends I had there I found out had left. Here are some pics I shot today. A shot of #6250 at Academy, Nabi #6634 prior to leaving for Inland Diesel/Carol Stream, the two Nabis I drove there, #6632/6634 to Inland, Nova Classic #2392 at Pace NS. I wanted to dump the BlueBird I was driving and grab that beautiful Nova and take her to Academy and have my way with her!! :) lol!!

Is Janko still there?

I wanted to dump the BlueBird I was driving and grab that beautiful Nova and take her to Academy and have my way with her!! :) lol!!

If the Bluebird you were driving was anything like the old MVTA ones you were either crazy or being a very good employee not too! :lol:

Nice pictures :)

Really i'm surprised that Pace isn't sending a couple Novas to Academy to retire a couple Orions. I would think a bus from '95 with a series 50 like the NABIs have would be better to keep than a '93 with 6V92TA. Although I guess if they have plans to just retire all the standard floors soon anyways there's no sense in shuffling stuff around. Maybe by keeping the Orions at Academy running longer it increases the average fleet age enough to qualify for something.

I spotted three Novas there at North Shore, the one outside and two sitting side by side inside the garage. Other buses I spotted there were Nabi #6240, #6670, Orion #2278, Nova #2390.

So 2390 IS still running! That means 2390, 2392, and 2393 are still around at the very least. That's probably all though at NS, the rest of them are at SW.

If the Bluebird you were driving was anything like the old MVTA ones you were either crazy or being a very good employee not too! :lol:

Nice pictures :)

Really i'm surprised that Pace isn't sending a couple Novas to Academy to retire a couple Orions. I would think a bus from '95 with a series 50 like the NABIs have would be better to keep than a '93 with 6V92TA. Although I guess if they have plans to just retire all the standard floors soon anyways there's no sense in shuffling stuff around. Maybe by keeping the Orions at Academy running longer it increases the average fleet age enough to qualify for something.

Well originally I was given permission to take Nabi #6250 which was running. But then a supervisor told me to take the BlueBird which was parked out front instead.

Well originally I was given permission to take Nabi #6250 which was running. But then a supervisor told me to take the BlueBird which was parked out front instead.

From my experience, Bluebirds are absolute junk. I test drove a "new" one for a demo for the company I was employed with and that thing was terrible. Needless to say Bluebirds were not purchased by them. They may make decent school buses (maybe) but bad transit buses and bad coach buses.

From my experience, Bluebirds are absolute junk. I test drove a "new" one for a demo for the company I was employed with and that thing was terrible. Needless to say Bluebirds were not purchased by them. They may make decent school buses (maybe) but bad transit buses and bad coach buses.

Our models are 30ft.medium size buses used for Central DuPage Hosp. Shuttle. I particularly dont care for them. Im not much a BlueBird fan!. :)

This morning, took a trip to Pace West Division for a parts run. Got a chance to see our Nabis that were reassigned to West, Orion #2289 is also there. Here are some pics I took today. Bus #844 ex-Dallas Area Rapid Transit MCI #8206, a couple of Orion VI wrecks too. Also tossed in a pic of me and my little girl and my other "bus", taken over the weekend. Only four Orions left at Academy, #2290,2293,2301,2372. Nabi's assigned, #6635,6641,6642,6645,6646,6664,6681,6249,6250,6254.

post-158-12663501104844_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663501516265_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663502917775_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663503310862_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663504059126_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663504318322_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663505412954_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663504982681_thumb.jpg

post-158-1266350368413_thumb.jpgpost-158-12663522228346_thumb.jpg

post-158-12663504693287_thumb.jpg

Too bad that the Orion VIs don't have visible numbers on the front, but blowing up the pictures, it appears that the one on the left has the license plate for 6040 (M126040). It seems that at least 3 wrecked at West (2 here and the burned one at South Holland). Apparently Pace can't afford to haul these two down to South Holland.

Also, blowing up the picture for 6607 indicates that the sign on the windshield is "Not In Service, Do Not Move this Bus." I guess one can assume that one won't see them on WebWatch this afternoon, and apparently West doesn't trust how Cook County School Bus and Academy treated them.*

Also, behind the picture of 844, there appear to be a Chance (understandable) and an RTS. Was that in the Pace lot, and if so, do you have any idea why they would have the RTS?

*BTW, my hunch is that 2289 is there for the next advertisement of surplus equipment for sale, to be viewed at the West Division, rather than to go out on any West route.

Too bad that the Orion VIs don't have visible numbers on the front, but blowing up the pictures, it appears that the one on the left has the license plate for 6040 (M126040). It seems that at least 3 wrecked at West (2 here and the burned one at South Holland). Apparently Pace can't afford to haul these two down to South Holland.

Also, blowing up the picture for 6607 indicates that the sign on the windshield is "Not In Service, Do Not Move this Bus." I guess one can assume that one won't see them on WebWatch this afternoon, and apparently West doesn't trust how Cook County School Bus and Academy treated them.*

Also, behind the picture of 844, there appear to be a Chance (understandable) and an RTS. Was that in the Pace lot, and if so, do you have any idea why they would have the RTS?

*BTW, my hunch is that 2289 is there for the next advertisement of surplus equipment for sale, to be viewed at the West Division, rather than to go out on any West route.

I didnt want to get too close, cameras around the back of the garage. Theyre reworking the Nabi's. Youre right they probably didnt trust how they were maintained. You probably wont see them on WebWatch anytime soon. As for the picture of #844, this was taken at the Colonial Coach yard, behind #844 is one of the old Niles Chance buses. The RTS, Im not sure what city it is from, it is a 35ft. bus. Also in that row youll find other buses such as ex-Dallas DART RTS, Brockton (Mass) Area Transit (BAT). A couple of ex-Pace 8700 Orions. Heres another pic I didnt post, a Neoplan 60ft Artic from Houston Metro. Theres a "W" designation in the Neoplan's window just like CTA's garage letters. This tell me the bus was assigned to Metro's Westheimer Operating Garage. As for #2289 it isnt coming back to Academy. It probably will be put up for sale.

post-158-12663571653486_thumb.jpg

Assuming the two Orion's have been out of service for some time the only Orion's I haven't seen on West routes in the last three months are 6040, 6061 and 6069

HA, I remember of seeing those Blue Birds back in 1995 on Roosevelt Rd in Glen Ellyn operating #747, West Division must of had them until they got replaced by Nova Classics in 1996-97. And to be honest, Blue Birds does make the best School buses, I like them as my favorite especially the Pushers like the ones that operates at Hammond Public Schools..

I didnt want to get too close, cameras around the back of the garage. Theyre reworking the Nabi's. Youre right they probably didnt trust how they were maintained. You probably wont see them on WebWatch anytime soon. As for the picture of #844, this was taken at the Colonial Coach yard, behind #844 is one of the old Niles Chance buses. The RTS, Im not sure what city it is from, it is a 35ft. bus. Also in that row youll find other buses such as ex-Dallas DART RTS, Brockton (Mass) Area Transit (BAT). A couple of ex-Pace 8700 Orions. Heres another pic I didnt post, a Neoplan 60ft Artic from Houston Metro. Theres a "W" designation in the Neoplan's window just like CTA's garage letters. This tell me the bus was assigned to Metro's Westheimer Operating Garage. As for #2289 it isnt coming back to Academy. It probably will be put up for sale.

post-158-12663571653486_thumb.jpg

On a side note:

Niles kept one of those Chance RT-52 buses blink.gif it's still inside the old maintence shop behind the police station.When I lived in Niles,I rode them allot and they were only 5 years old at the time.Never liked the "hard-stiff" ride they had.Unlike some on this board,I enjoy the Eldorkostongue.gif

Dave

HA, I remember of seeing those Blue Birds back in 1995 on Roosevelt Rd in Glen Ellyn operating #747, West Division must of had them until they got replaced by Nova Classics in 1996-97. And to be honest, Blue Birds does make the best School buses, I like them as my favorite especially the Pushers like the ones that operates at Hammond Public Schools..

I remember seeing some sort of school bus conversion on 715. While painted in Pace colors, they were owned by the contractor, presumably Vancom. Chicago Transit and Railfan has a picture of one, which corresponds to what I remember on 715.

While I wasn't around there at the time, I doubt that West operated any. Either it was while 747 was still being run by a contractor, or since you say it was in Glen Ellyn, on Roosevelt Road because one of the contractors was located there.

I remember seeing some sort of school bus conversion on 715. While painted in Pace colors, they were owned by the contractor, presumably Vancom.

I've saw an school bus conversion on one of Glendale Heights Routes operated on 653 on Glen Ellyn Road back in 2006 at Downtown Glen Ellyn.

I've saw an school bus conversion on one of Glendale Heights Routes operated on 653 on Glen Ellyn Road back in 2006 at Downtown Glen Ellyn.

I used to live in Glendale Heights, right along the route and caught those school buses to the train station. Absolutely hated it! Pace sign on the top, old 653 sign on the bottom of the window. There was simply no reason for them, I just didn't understand why they didn't put reg. Pace buses on those routes. The ride was so bumpy and in the summer time, forget the AC. Until the recent 657 route was cut, those were still being operated by school buses. Now only the 711/715 run close to those areas.