Academy/Pace operations.....

I suppose you'll have to get more inside poop to know what was indicated for August. The only thing that is a contractor job that needs that many buses is Naperville. With regard to NW contracting out any work, union contracts usually prohibit that.

I see that the Lisle contract is still in play, so maybe Academy put in a bid on that, but that's 15 buses.

I haven't read anything in the forum (or i'm just not looking hard enough). Awarded bid page says First Student got Lisle.

CTA 5750 had posted "This morning I was told by my supervisor that we may be getting 28 more buses in August!" which gave rise to the speculation.

My conclusion then and now is that if it had any substance, it probably wasn't for Pace, because Pace didn't have a contract job that big in play, and the only contract job that size was Naperville. As you point out, the Lisle contract is now on the awards page to First Student.

Since both of you work or worked for Academy, and I don't, you'll have to sort it out among yourselves.

CTA 5750 had posted "This morning I was told by my supervisor that we may be getting 28 more buses in August!" which gave rise to the speculation.

My conclusion then and now is that if it had any substance, it probably wasn't for Pace, because Pace didn't have a contract job that big in play, and the only contract job that size was Naperville. As you point out, the Lisle contract is now on the awards page to First Student.

Since both of you work or worked for Academy, and I don't, you'll have to sort it out among yourselves.

Thats all I was told by my sup. I dont know if it was Lisle they were referring to or what. If it was, then I guess we lost out!

So that leaves Northwest with- 2315, 2321, 2324, 2351, 2352, 2354, 2358, 2360, 2363, 2365, 2366, 2368-2370, and the 35 footer 2378.

North Shore still has seven 35 fts.- 2278-2282, 2284, and 2285, and six 40 fts.- 2339, 2341, 2344, 2345, 2349, and 2350.

Academy still has 2290 and 2293, but do they still run any routes?

Did I miss any buses on these lists?

Northwest should still have #2371, #2318, #2319 and possibly #2328. I don't know if #2342 is still at North Shore. Then there should still be a few at North I know #2297 is there and i think I have seen #2332 and #2333 lately on Webwatch. #2336- #2338 could also still be around at North. Then if we follow the list Pace 834 has provided, Lisle could still possibly have #2316, #2317, #2274, #2276, #2277, #2283 and #2305.

Northwest should still have #2371, #2318, #2319 and possibly #2328. I don't know if #2342 is still at North Shore. Then there should still be a few at North I know #2297 is there and i think I have seen #2332 and #2333 lately on Webwatch. #2336- #2338 could also still be around at North. Then if we follow the list Pace 834 has provided, Lisle could still possibly have #2316, #2317, #2274, #2276, #2277, #2283 and #2305.

Orion I #2319 is now@S.Holland.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like 616 is on the Public Hearing chopping block again.

Interesting that the Public Hearings are not showing up in the route descriptions.

If this route gets cut, that means only the 757 will run to the NW Point Park & Ride, which won't help anyone that needs to go to Rosemont without having to go through a hassle. However, the fact the entire route is in trouble doesn't surprise me. I used to work in the areas along that route and I've never seen those buses ever be heavily crowded. There are times I see at least 5 buses at one time during rush hour on Webwatch. How many times is it possible to have more than 5 people on any of those buses? And the Itasca Metra Station has always taken a hit over years. It used to have at least 1 other route to go there before it got cut (I believe it was a shuttle bug of some sort). The economy has drastically changed and there just isn't as many people working in areas like these anymore. And I am sure there are other options to get to Rosemont CTA. My opinion, if there is a company that is thriving in this area, then they should provide their own shuttle service to a stop along the 606 or 223 to go to Rosemont.

By the way, it states the Chancellory Park-n-Ride is not owned by Pace. Who owns it? And what would happen to it if 616 bites the dust? Also, we'll probably be wondering what happens to the 6600s that now would become overflow at Academy.

One would assume whomever owns The Chancellory Business Park or the Westin Hotel. It then becomes a parking lot for someone else. One must assume that the owner gave Pace the right to pull in there, sort of like the debate over Yorktown restricting Pace's access to its private property.

The announcement seemed a bit ambiguous in that it said "to discontinue unproductive weekday rush hour trips due to continued low ridership" instead of "all service." I guess that, as usual, we find out what they cut after the hearing.

One would assume whomever owns The Chancellory Business Park or the Westin Hotel. It then becomes a parking lot for someone else. One must assume that the owner gave Pace the right to pull in there, sort of like the debate over Yorktown restricting Pace's access to its private property.

The announcement seemed a bit ambiguous in that it said "to discontinue unproductive weekday rush hour trips due to continued low ridership" instead of "all service." I guess that, as usual, we find out what they cut after the hearing.

As long as I can remember, it has been a rush hours only route. At least for most of its life, it has interlined with the 326 and/or 600/606. Frankly, I'm surprised the route has survived this long. Basically no one rides between Northwest Point and the Chancellory, the ridership between there and the Itasca Metra is nonexistent, and there was very little ridership between Itasca Metra and Spring Lake or Spring Hill or whatever that business park is near Irving Pk and Rohlwing Rd.

As long as I can remember, it has been a rush hours only route. At least for most of its life, it has interlined with the 326 and/or 600/606. Frankly, I'm surprised the route has survived this long. Basically no one rides between Northwest Point and the Chancellory, the ridership between there and the Itasca Metra is nonexistent, and there was very little ridership between Itasca Metra and Spring Lake or Spring Hill or whatever that business park is near Irving Pk and Rohlwing Rd.

With Northwest taking over the 326, this route shouldn't be interlining with the 326 any more. 600 & 606 I could see. I'm not even 100% why there is even a park and ride at NW Point. Where does the riders go? The 757 is the only other bus that goes there and I can't see riders getting on that bus to go back to Forest Park in the morning. Seems backwards to me.

There isnt enough ridership on the #616 to keep the service running, I could see the route being discontinued. Too bad for the rude, snobbish, self centered, arrogant passengers I pick up on this route! :) If it is eliminated, I could see us losing the remaining routes as well from Academy.

There isnt enough ridership on the #616 to keep the service running, I could see the route being discontinued. Too bad for the rude, snobbish, self centered, arrogant passengers I pick up on this route! :) If it is eliminated, I could see us losing the remaining routes as well from Academy.

How much do you wanna bet those rude, snobbish, self-centered, arrogant passengers attend the meeting to try and save the route... :lol: I know Busjack pointed out that it said "unproductive" routes, but I'm inclined to agree with you 5750, I can't see the route continuing at all unless the above people make a real strong pitch to save it.

How much do you wanna bet those rude, snobbish, self-centered, arrogant passengers attend the meeting to try and save the route... :lol: I know Busjack pointed out that it said "unproductive" routes, but I'm inclined to agree with you 5750, I can't see the route continuing at all unless the above people make a real strong pitch to save it.

That might happen (and I know about other types of people attending other public hearings), but I wonder how quickly Pace will come back with "Vanpool may be an alternative for some passengers," as it usually posts.

Also, at such hearings, Pace usually pulls out the IBS data, and it is hard to argue with that.

Also, this does not seem to be the college students, who had some equity with respect to 696 and 714. Is the Daily Herald going to publish "Snobbish riders at the Chancellory decry cutting bus route?" Is Itasca willing to pony up some of the deficit (as is usually required these days, such as to save 554 and 714)?

I would assert that some trips do have the ridership (i.e. the last two runs from Rosemont in the Morning), but the goal in this case is to take out what doesn't work. The hearing doesn't mean that the route could be discontinued, but some trips might be affected as a result.

Amending my prior posts, the Passenger Notices are now up, and the one for 616 refers to the "proposed elimination of select weekday rush hour trips." So, DSorrell's interpretation is correct.

If there are ANY routes cut at all, Academy will have an overflow of buses. How many depends obviously on how many routes are cut. Since there are no more Orions at Westmont, look for more 6600s heading West if this happens.

If there are ANY routes cut at all, Academy will have an overflow of buses. How many depends obviously on how many routes are cut. Since there are no more Orions at Westmont, look for more 6600s heading West if this happens.

Not necessarily. For instance, cutting off the last run on 626 each way didn't have any effect on North Shore's bus requirements, nor according to the 2010 budget, on ridership. It depends on which runs and whether they return for another trip.

I have come to learn that until one sees the final schedule, one can't make predictions about this.

I think if we lose #616, our Pace contract is done. Little by little they have been picking away piece after piece.

I think if we lose #616, our Pace contract is done. Little by little they have been picking away piece after piece.

Like Busjack says, it sounds like only selected trips would be trimmed/cut. I doubt you'll be seeing service go to Itasca Metra anymore. There may be a few trips cut. Sounds to me like they want to decrease frequencies. The #616 may start looking more like the #606 as far as crowding is concerned when it pulls into Rosemont. As far as losing the pace contract, would NW be able to handle 16 more buses or would it overcrowd the yard. That may be one of the reasons they contract these out to Academy. One negative I see as far as Academy losing the contract is all these Eldos showing up at NW. That is making more space in the garage to possibly overtake these routes in the long term. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

Like Busjack says, it sounds like only selected trips would be trimmed/cut. I doubt you'll be seeing service go to Itasca Metra anymore. There may be a few trips cut. Sounds to me like they want to decrease frequencies. The #616 may start looking more like the #606 as far as crowding is concerned when it pulls into Rosemont. As far as losing the pace contract, would NW be able to handle 16 more buses or would it overcrowd the yard. That may be one of the reasons they contract these out to Academy. One negative I see as far as Academy losing the contract is all these Eldos showing up at NW. That is making more space in the garage to possibly overtake these routes in the long term. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

[/quote

Thanks very much! :) I could probably see the service cut back from Spring Lake. Almost every trip Ive made there in three yrs. working at Colonial, Ill usually have either an empty bus or maybe two or three persons riding to or from Spring Lake to the Metra Station. I have seen a trip to Spring Lake that has at least 5 or more passengers aboard, so that trip could possibly be retained. If anythin Id like to see an increase in service just maybe at different times or intervals. Ive noticed most passengers ride to and from NW point, Arlington Hts. Rd./Devon or One Pierce Place. After Pierce, its pretty much empty until Itasca Metra.

My goodness, I just looked at the current schedule. Look at all the morning trips. You serious? This compared to the evening runs? They absolutely need to trim.

In that the bus does run bidirectionally, it appears that, at least in the morning, the schedule is based on the assumption that most ridership is from Rosemont to Itasca. Thus, the only question presented by the schedule is whether there is enough employment in Itasca to support starting service at 5:50 a.m. instead of at, say 6:50 a.m. It seems like the westbound p.m. service peters out pretty quickly to either Northwest Point or Devon.

Basically, I am sure that only the IBS knows.

Update: From what 5750 says, I'm sure that Spring Lake will be told to organize a vanpool. This seems to be the kind of route where various types of passengers still don't add up to a productive load.