Academy/Pace operations.....

• 2 months later...

This morning I see that we now have a Gillig Phantom #909, in service at Colonial. It is currently being used on the Stroger Hospital Shuttle. It looks like were not using the ex-Pace Orions. Ive always wanted the chance to drive the Phantom. Now I finally might get a chance to.

This morning I see that we now have a Gillig Phantom #909, in service at Colonial. It is currently being used on the Stroger Hospital Shuttle. It looks like were not using the ex-Pace Orions. Ive always wanted the chance to drive the Phantom. Now I finally might get a chance to.

Sweet! What year is that Phantom?

Sweet! What year is that Phantom?

Its probably a late 80s/early 90s model. It is a 35ft model, Detroit 6V92, sounds similar to the Pace Orion Is, not sure what system it may have come from. But it did sit in Colonials yard for some time if I remember. I thought it was being parted out but apparently they were saving it as a replacement for a retired Orion. Anyone driving around Stroger or Damen/Roosevelt areas you should see it operating on the free shuttle. I will get pics when I get a chance.

Its probably a late 80s/early 90s model. It is a 35ft model, Detroit 6V92, sounds similar to the Pace Orion Is, not sure what system it may have come from. But it did sit in Colonials yard for some time if I remember. I thought it was being parted out but apparently they were saving it as a replacement for a retired Orion. Anyone driving around Stroger or Damen/Roosevelt areas you should see it operating on the free shuttle. I will get pics when I get a chance.

I believe the one you're speaking of... You've had it for quite some time. It was acquired along with Ohare Keeshin in '03 and used to run the employee shuttle lot. As a matter of fact... see this. Kind of Handles like a Flyer D901.

I believe the one you're speaking of... You've had it for quite some time. It was acquired along with Ohare Keeshin in '03. As a matter of fact... see this. Kind of Handles like a Flyer D901.

That model I believe was one of the Galesburg Transit buses.

• 3 weeks later...

It continues to be a rough ride at Academy. No pay for weeks, we the drivers continue to come in to work, for free!, No union rep. no labor relations, no communication! nothing! We need help there!

If you all don't have enough guts to stand up for yourselves and fight back how do you expect anyone to help you, are you living in your homes for free, or getting your gas, and light for free, what the hell is wrong with you people.

Yeah, Leonard Id like to see you walk into Jerry's office and sound off the same way you just did here. All thats gonna happen is what happened to you! Get yourself fired! Theres other ways of handling it!

Theres other ways of handling it!

Well, that's true. The proper approach is to file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Labor.

However, word is that IDOL is busy prosecuting complaints against state contractors who themselves have not been paid.

Even in a nonunion shop, there is no obligation to show up for work if you are not being paid, nor have a good commitment that you will be. If enough drivers do that, Academy won't be able to staff its runs, and then Pace will have to do something about it, more than likely cancel the contract and give the remaining work to Northwest.

If it is a union shop, a grievance should be filed, in addition.

I know you like driving buses, but unless you intend it as a hobby, I would suggest not reporting until you are paid.

This is getting far too personal. If you have an issue with each other send personal massages. 5750 I know what your going through. And, yes Flyer you guys should act. Notifying labor board ,per Busjack, can be done anonymously. But let's not 'sling hash' about personal stuff that some people keep personal. Yes I know quitting is a last resort in todays economy. But making some calls and getting job applications won't hurt.

• Upvote 1

I agree with twy about getting too personal. The exchange between 5750 and NF certainly is. Apparently, you 3 guys know each other.

However, in case anyone wants to do anything legal about this mess, the Illinois Department of Labor is the place to file the unpaid wage claim.

The National Labor Relations Board is where one would file a claim relating to something coming out of a collective bargaining situation. Since Academy/Colonial is private, the NLRB would have jurisdiction, but usually a grievance has to be filed first with the union (if any).

And since twy points out not to get personal, and no one is paying me for legal advice, I'm not going to second guess what New Flyer said.

Also, twy's statement about job applications makes sense, in the sense of that if this is like in Evanston or Hammond in the early 70s (unions went on strike for either nonpayment of wages or in a contract dispute over wages, and the companies stopped transit service). Again, I don't know what the exact contract relationship between Academy and Pace is, but if this continues much longer, Academy is going to be in default or go out of business, and Pace will take over the service. Thus, as a practical matter, Academy may have constructively discharged 5750 already (by making conditions impossible to work, even though you have not received a pink slip), so quitting may be moot. Again, this advice is worth what you paid for it.

• Upvote 1

No, its not personal between NF and me. Weve worked alongside together at Academy and we all made a good team, we got the job done! Im gonna leave it be! But of course somethings gonna have to give here as far as Academy is concerned. Its not over by no means. Movin on!! :)

I agree with twy about getting too personal. The exchange between 5750 and NF certainly is. Apparently, you 3 guys know each other.

However, in case anyone wants to do anything legal about this mess, the Illinois Department of Labor is the place to file the unpaid wage claim.

The National Labor Relations Board is where one would file a claim relating to something coming out of a collective bargaining situation. Since Academy/Colonial is private, the NLRB would have jurisdiction, but usually a grievance has to be filed first with the union (if any).

And since twy points out not to get personal, and no one is paying me for legal advice, I'm not going to second guess what New Flyer said.

Also, twy's statement about job applications makes sense, in the sense of that if this is like in Evanston or Hammond in the early 70s (unions went on strike for either nonpayment of wages or in a contract dispute over wages, and the companies stopped transit service). Again, I don't know what the exact contract relationship between Academy and Pace is, but if this continues much longer, Academy is going to be in default or go out of business, and Pace will take over the service. Thus, as a practical matter, Academy may have constructively discharged 5750 already (by making conditions impossible to work, even though you have not received a pink slip), so quitting may be moot. Again, this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Were still continuing to work but patience is wearing thin, very thin at Academy!!

Were still continuing to work but patience is wearing thin, very thin at Academy!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't "Academy" have a history of not paying or bouncing checks? I would certainly check with Colonial drivers whether they be charter or contract drivers (hospital shuttle) to see what their situation is at this point.

If those drivers are having problems as well, then it speaks to a very grim financial situation over there. If the Colonial drivers are being paid, then it seems that Colonial has decided that the Pace contracts are money losers and possibly are trying to get from under them. Or perhaps the mechanical issues with the Pace buses is depleting the revenue it gets from Pace and you guys are getting the short end of the stick.

Because Colonial and Academy are really two separate entities, Academy actually has to "pay" Colonial for any services Colonial provides (i.e maintenance, fuel, bus washing, etc). Since these contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, there is very little profit margin for the contractor if everything goes perfect. Major issues will cause the company to lose money. Perhaps Colonial doesn't have enough charter and contract work to prop up the Academy operation.

Honestly this will be coming to a head shortly. I wouldn't be surprised if Pace isn't already monitoring the situation and gauging restructuring North and Northwest route assignments to absorb the remaining routes you have. Be prepared for the day that you come to work and Academy will be no longer because Pace has taken over those routes. Two possible companies that might be asked to complete this contract would be Mid America and Chicago Classic Coach, since both companies are located in the Elk Grove, Mt Prospect area. Or if they can find a school bus company in the area, that could be another possibility. In any event, if Pace is still hiring, you should apply directly with them ASAP.

Because Colonial and Academy are really two separate entities, Academy actually has to "pay" Colonial for any services Colonial provides (i.e maintenance, fuel, bus washing, etc). Since these contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, there is very little profit margin for the contractor if everything goes perfect. Major issues will cause the company to lose money. Perhaps Colonial doesn't have enough charter and contract work to prop up the Academy operation.

Honestly this will be coming to a head shortly....

I don't have the information (i.e. corporate books, contracts), but what you say makes sense. I had asked earlier what the relationship between Colonial and Academy was, but if Academy was formed simply to shield the Pace contract from Colonial's other operations, it is conceivable that just Academy could file for bankruptcy, and those directly employed by Academy would be out of luck, unless the bankruptcy trustee could trace money (sort of like what is happening in the Tribune case).

As far as what could be causing the losses, one probably has to consider that Academy may have budgeted based on having twice the Pace business it now has, or whether Pace is paying its vendors. The latter thought is based on some news reports that vendors with the State who are not being paid are not renewing their contracts. However, since Pace has made cuts (especially on Academy routes), I doubt that the latter is happening.

As to whether this will be coming to a head shortly, I wonder if anyone from Pace monitors this forum or rides the 606 bus to work and received an earful from a driver. I doubt either, though.

I don't have the information (i.e. corporate books, contracts), but what you say makes sense. I had asked earlier what the relationship between Colonial and Academy was, but if Academy was formed simply to shield the Pace contract from Colonial's other operations, it is conceivable that just Academy could file for bankruptcy, and those directly employed by Academy would be out of luck, unless the bankruptcy trustee could trace money (sort of like what is happening in the Tribune case).

As far as what could be causing the losses, one probably has to consider that Academy may have budgeted based on having twice the Pace business it now has, or whether Pace is paying its vendors. The latter thought is based on some news reports that vendors with the State who are not being paid are not renewing their contracts. However, since Pace has made cuts (especially on Academy routes), I doubt that the latter is happening.

As to whether this will be coming to a head shortly, I wonder if anyone from Pace monitors this forum or rides the 606 bus to work and received an earful from a driver. I doubt either, though.

When I last rode the 606, there were several Pace employees getting off at the HQ stop so know the facts before speaking, I think Pace staff does a great job with what they have to work with.

When I last rode the 606, there were several Pace employees getting off at the HQ stop so know the facts before speaking, I think Pace staff does a great job with what they have to work with.

You missed the "and got an earful" part of the sentence.

• 1 month later...

Although it's obviously a little late now to mention, I will since it was on my mind. Apparently, there were some fleet or body shortages at Academy about a week in a half to two weeks ago...they were sending out Northwest division extra board operators with maps to run trips on the 600 606 and 616. One of the girls told me the passengers guided her thru the 616, otherwise who knows where she'd be. :D

Although it's obviously a little late now to mention, I will since it was on my mind. Apparently, there were some fleet or body shortages at Academy about a week in a half to two weeks ago...they were sending out Northwest division extra board operators with maps to run trips on the 600 606 and 616. One of the girls told me the passengers guided her thru the 616, otherwise who knows where she'd be. :D

Very simple answer. Not too many drivers left at Academy because of the ongoing problems that plague the company. There are barely enough drivers left to cover all of our runs. Its in a downward tailspin!!!

Very simple answer. Not too many drivers left at Academy because of the ongoing problems that plague the company. There are barely enough drivers left to cover all of our runs. Its in a downward tailspin!!!

Have you talked to any Colonial drivers to see if they are in a similar sitation, or is it just Academy drivers? Are you guys unionized and Colonial drivers nonunion? How many, if any, drivers are left over from the Keeshin service acquisition?