Academy/Pace operations.....

Looks like for now that's all. It appears SW has buses all the way up to 6109 as of this morning's rush hour. They probably just had overflow now that the El Dorados have taken about 1/3 of their routes. Still trying to find Academy's former buses.

Academy's buses could possibly still be sitting in the yard until Pace decides where to send them.

Looks like for now that's all. It appears SW has buses all the way up to 6109 as of this morning's rush hour. They probably just had overflow now that the El Dorados have taken about 1/3 of their routes. Still trying to find Academy's former buses.

Looks like NW also picked up #6042 - #6046 at least from west. #6048 is still at west. Don't know where #6047 is.

While at West Div.today,I saw former Academy NABI's 6631,6664,6681.I'm not sure of the rest,there were to many to keep track of.

That makes absolutely no sense those buses are at West when you have older buses that are in desperate need of retiring. Especially what's left of the 93 Orions that are in Waukegan and Evanston. What in the world is Pace doing?

That makes absolutely no sense those buses are at West when you have older buses that are in desperate need of retiring. Especially what's left of the 93 Orions that are in Waukegan and Evanston. What in the world is Pace doing?

There could possibly be more shifting of equipment.

You folks are forgetting that about 13 months ago, 5750 had pictures that NABIs in the under 6634 range had been dropped off at West. A couple of weeks later, you said that some of them were at Westmont. Hence, West must be the closest place to drop them off and inspect them.

Because of some Orion VI shifts (although I see that West got those in the 6040 range back), I suppose that West will get some. Other places, I'm not betting at the moment.

The other interesting thing was that I mentioned 6111 and 6112 at NW (both visual and virtual), it looks from Webwatch like 386 is mostly to all ElDorados (all at the moment).

Anyway, with school out, Pace surely has more than enough buses at the moment (I'm referring to no S runs, and thus no need for North to haul out the 2300s, for instance).

Here is a picture I took last fall of 6061,on the left,and 6040 at West Div.6061 is currently at S.Holland.

Don't know why they didn't put it on the for sale list, like 6040 and 6047, but at least you confirmed the number.

• 2 weeks later...

It is down to the last week of contract work at Coach USA. My source tells me that Aries Charter is lining up to take over their work, but still no word if that is inclusive of Pace. I guess we will have to see if a Pace Passenger Notice comes up at the end of next week, similar to the one that announced the carrier change for the former Academy routes. The questions are would Pace allow another carrier such as Aries to do their work, and if so, would that carrier do it for the amount agreed upon between Pace and Keeshin/Coach USA. There hasn't been any RFPs on Pace's website, and Coach wants out of the contract for sure. But can they really get out of this one, considering they are just a year into the 5 year contract.

I remember when Greyhound had the contract for Rt 855. The buses they used had the Pace logo located near the Americruiser 2 lettering.

The questions are would Pace allow another carrier such as Aries to do their work, and if so, would that carrier do it for the amount agreed upon between Pace and Keeshin/Coach USA. There hasn't been any RFPs on Pace's website, and Coach wants out of the contract for sure. But can they really get out of this one, considering they are just a year into the 5 year contract.

The pertinent part of that contract (and it is that contract) is:

7. Assignments-The Contractor agrees that neither this Contract nor any of the monies due from this Contract may be assigned without the prior written consent of Pace. Any successor or assign under this Contract will be required to accede to all of the terms, conditions, and requirements of this Contract as a condition precedent of such succession or assignment. Assignment of any portion of the work by subcontract must be approved in advance by Pace, in writing.

So, either that happened or it didn't. If it did, there wouldn't be any need to readvertise.

Supposedly, the same happened when Keeshin O'Hare went out of business and Colonial took over its work.

Getting back to Colonial, I'm surprised that Pace taking over their routes did not show up in the May or June Minutes. Maybe it was something that the staff could approve alone.

My source tells me that Aries Charter is lining up to take over their work, but still no word if that is inclusive of Pace.

Having posted above on the legalities, the more important question Deep Throat should answer is the logistics of any takeover. If one looks back at such things as 6652 being assigned to River, the Pace takeover of Colonial routes was in the works a couple of months before it was leaked here.

Yet, Aries says that its motor coaches are not handicap accessible, but the contract requires that they be. Looking at the schedules, 8 buses are needed (and probably two spares). Pace said it didn't order the 11 OTRs, so whoever would have to come up with the 10 buses and have them inspected before taking over the service.