Academy/Pace operations.....

We finally recieved all our backpay last week. But it took a lot of hard work by Local 1028 and our represenative.

They did a phenomenal job in making sure we got our issue resolved. Its a shame that it has to end like this, but those of us who worked there know it all came crashing down for one reason! Incompetent, greedy and selfish management at Academy!.

I don't know the owners there personally, so it would be hard for me to agree with that assessment, but it is certainly hard to disagree. As I stated earlier, I think the bigger Colonial operation (Pioneer too?) is having financial difficulty, and cutting Academy reduces costs of maintaining Pace equipment, paying drivers', Colonial mechanics, etc. I guess we will have to see if Colonial "downsizes" even more, considering the stiff competition from the likes of Windy City Limousine, Chicago Classic Coach, Mid-America for charter business, and school bus companies along with aforementioned businesses for contract services. Most of the convention business at McCormick Place are handled by outside (nationwide) firms that farm on the cheap, even bringing in out of town companies (and Greyhound) to perform work normally done by local companies. Consider that Royal American, one of the better charter companies in the area, sold to Louisville area based The Free Enterprise System, and the recenty activity at Coach USA, we know the motorcoach landscape for this city does not look good.

Perhaps Academy drivers could stay on at Colonial if it decides to bid on (and win) some or all of the contracts Coach USA will be giving up. I will try to verify if Pace is among those contracts.

. If you didn't already know, Coach USA is slated to terminate all of its contract services around July 15th ( I would assume that this includes Pace), and basically will operate only the Megabus service. ...

The question whether is involves Pace is that it appears that Keeshin Charter Service, which holds the Pace contract, is using the Coach USA name, but may be a separate company.

Tri-State Coach is also branded as Coach USA, and their site says that it is a Stagecoach Group Company, but I doubt they are dropping their Indiana-O'Hare service.

Thus, one can't make assumptions until that is sorted out. As Keeshin O'Hare proved (by assigning its contracts to Academy when it closed shop), it doesn't appear that the contractor can unilaterally pull out of the contract without repercussions. Of course, Pace has a lot of outs on its side of the contract

Thus, you were right that Academy got it when Keeshin O'Hare pulled out, although I don't know if there was a bidding after that. Also, somehow Academy got the 696-699 contract when Pace got teed off at Cook County School Bus, but the Feb. 2010 cutbacks resulted in Academy losing those when 699 was cut and Pace took over 696 (as well as 326).

They are asses who don't care about anything or anybody, I tried to explain that to you but you didn't believe me. Just because people laugh and smile in your face and act like they care about you doesn't men they won't screw you.

Easy there, Len. I dont ever recall you saying any of these things to me! Quit patting yourself on the back!

The question whether is involves Pace is that it appears that Keeshin Charter Service, which holds the Pace contract, is using the Coach USA name, but may be a separate company.

Tri-State Coa-ch is also branded as Coach USA, and their site says that it is a Stagecoach Group Company, but I doubt they are dropping their Indiana-O'Hare service.

Thus, one can't make assumptions until that is sorted out. As Keeshin O'Hare proved (by assigning its contracts to Academy when it closed shop), it doesn't appear that the contractor can unilaterally pull out of the contract without repercussions. Of course, Pace has a lot of outs on its side of the contract

Thus, you were right that Academy got it when Keeshin O'Hare pulled out, although I don't know if there was a bidding after that. Also, somehow Academy got the 696-699 contract when Pace got teed off at Cook County School Bus, but the Feb. 2010 cutbacks resulted in Academy losing those when 699 was cut and Pace took over 696 (as well as 326).

It is the Keeshin operation that I was referring to. The Tri-STate/United Limo operation is not affected.

Pace routes 696 and 699 were also Keeshin routes when they sold to Academy. I don't remember how they were awarded those routes, as they were added later. Perhaps you are correct in that Pace got teed off at Cook County School Bus. Like I said, I will find out for sure if Keeshin is giving up the Pace contract or not. My initial guess would be yes, but I will confirm sometime soon.

It is the Keeshin operation that I was referring to. The Tri-STate/United Limo operation is not affected.

Pace routes 696 and 699 were also Keeshin routes when they sold to Academy. I don't remember how they were awarded those routes, as they were added later. Perhaps you are correct in that Pace got teed off at Cook County School Bus...

According to Bill V's history of Pace routes, apparently everyone had it for a year or two, Colonial twice three times.

A sighting tonight of note. As I approached Woodfield Drive coming off 53 tonight, bus 6649 was

signed for the garage. The bus went under 53 and turned north towards Golf Road. Buses deadheading

to Academy would usually use Higgins to Busse as their route back to the yard from the NWTC.

Buses that deadhead via Golf are usually headed to Northwest.

A sighting tonight of note. As I approached Woodfield Drive coming off 53 tonight, bus 6649 was

signed for the garage. The bus went under 53 and turned north towards Golf Road. Buses deadheading

to Academy would usually use Higgins to Busse as their route back to the yard from the NWTC.

Again, another sighting that has to be questioned.

If it was 6649, that's a North Shore bus, and thus heading to Evanston.

It is possible that with the area now being short of personnel, they borrowed from North Shore.

That could still be a Academy heading back to Rosemont via 90. I've seen this happen a couple of times.

Again, another sighting that has to be questioned.

If it was 6649, that's a North Shore bus, and thus heading to Evanston.

It is possible that with the area now being short of personnel, they borrowed from North Shore.

Saw something weird myself. On Friday afternoon I spotted bus #6669 working the #606. My first thought was isn't that a west bus? So I figured I'd check the operator's badge to see where it says he's from. His badge said he was from River Division. So I don't know what to make of that. Another curious sight I keep seeing is in front of Pace Headquarters there's this bus shelter WB with a sign extending out from it in the shape of a chicago street sign with a red numbered digital sign on the end of it. Is Pace testing something like a Webwatch sign that tells how many minutes until the next bus? Seems like any new testing as far as shelters does happen in front of headquarters.

Could be that it was 6669 I saw and not 6649. The bottom line is that it

was a Nabi and it didn't appear to be headed to Academy. Definitely signed "TO GARAGE".

One way or another, it wasn't a bus assigned to Academy (per 5750's last list, and substituting 6252 for 2290).

I have the feeling that with the substitutes probably not programmed, so they can't be tracked on WebWatch and with less than two weeks to go, all chaos is going to break out. You have to wonder how long Pace is going to allow Academy to keep 15 buses, if they can't get enough drivers to put many of them on the road.

One way or another, it wasn't a bus assigned to Academy (per 5750's last list, and substituting 6252 for 2290).

I have the feeling that with the substitutes probably not programmed, so they can't be tracked on WebWatch and with less than two weeks to go, all chaos is going to break out. You have to wonder how long Pace is going to allow Academy to keep 15 buses, if they can't get enough drivers to put many of them on the road.

I don't know how short they are over there, but unless Academy wants to be fined or docked by Pace, I'm sure they will put as many buses as they can on the road. I wonder if Academy/Colonial offered any severance packages contingent on completing contract.

I don't know how short they are over there, but unless Academy wants to be fined or docked by Pace, I'm sure they will put as many buses as they can on the road. I wonder if Academy/Colonial offered any severance packages contingent on completing contract.

Colonial/Academy sent out a false claim of lies trying to place blame on some of us including myself for Pace pulling its contract, They placed blame on us for speaking out to Pace concerning the paycheck issue. We informed Pace at its last board meeting that Col/Acad) had not paid us in since Nov, 2010. Colonial/Acad) deserves all the trouble theyre in right now. They dont offer anything as far as severence, not even a paycheck! I myself and the other operators who worked there are glad that Pace pulled the contract. If the company had continued paying us like theyre obligated to,none of this wouldve happened!.

... since Nov, 2010....

That long, huh? I was going to reply that a company that far in default wasn't going to offer an "enhanced severance" (or as it was called where I used to work, a "stay bonus"), but figured that you were in a better position than I to answer art.

I guess that when the Pace Minutes are posted Thursday or Friday for the preceding month, your name will be there.:lol: And, so much for New Flyer saying that you "took it."

That long, huh? I was going to reply that a company that far in default wasn't going to offer an "enhanced severance" (or as it was called where I used to work, a "stay bonus"), but figured that you were in a better position than I to answer art.

I guess that when the Pace Minutes are posted Thursday or Friday for the preceding month, your name will be there.:lol: And, so much for New Flyer saying that you "took it."

As far as Im concerned, theres nothing wrong with fighting for whats right and what is owed to you! If you dont speak up, nothing gets done! We did what we had to do!

That wouldn't be a problem because all the buses "filling in" the 606 have been logging into the IBS using the garage code for Academy, which is "575" and the run number. Therefore, the buses have been showing up on Webwatch. Simply, the operator is essentially "working for Academy", but not technically so as their badge number would easily indicate which division they're from.

That wouldn't be a problem because all the buses "filling in" the 606 have been logging into the IBS using the garage code for Academy, which is "575" and the run number.

The NW ones are showing up. I was thinking more of the supposed North Shore or West buses. Sort of like, when NW sent 8 Eldos to NS, only the ones on shared routes (210, for instance) showed up on Webwatch for a couple of weeks.

I'll post the rest of my comment under a WebWatch topic.

Getting back to the subject, the last two days it looks like there are enough buses showing up on WebWatch on 600, 606, and 616 to cover the routes, with a couple of NWs showing up, but enough of the Academy ones out there. I guess 5750 can comment on whether there are enough drivers with the faith that they will be paid for the last two weeks.

I guess 5750 can comment on whether there are enough drivers with the faith that they will be paid for the last two weeks.

Faith or not, come June 12th the entire 600, 606, and 616 will belong to Northwest. Question is, will NW see NABIs for the first time or will Pace stick with the status quo and keep in tune with a predominantly Orion VI garage and send more from elsewhere?

Given that bus 6611 (Listed in the first post as an Acadamy bus) now is at North division, there may be some bus shuffling soon. ...

That one was of the "under 6634" that was transferred out of Academy in Feb. 2010 when they lost routes 326, 696, and 699. Most, but not all of these went to Westmont, and when Westmont got Eldos, to North.

Some of the other buses (6606, 6608, 6631, 6632) went back to Academy when the Orion Is were taken out of service, but definitely not all. For instance, 6607 is similar, except it went from Westmont to North Shore.

Again, looking up, you will see other surmises of where the Academy buses might wind up.

As noted earlier, we knew the handwriting was on the wall for this to happen.

A bigger issue to me is the demise of charter bus company operations in the Chicagoland area. If you didn't already know, Coach USA is slated to terminate all of its contract services around July 15th ( I would assume that this includes Pace), and basically will operate only the Megabus service. Apparently there was too small of a profit margin (if any) to justify operating (especially newer equipment). The company already bailed oout of charter services last year. The last remaining contract drivers will be laid off.

I have two sources that have confirmed that Coach USA a.k.a Keeshin will also be giving up its Pace routes in July. Their operation (Keeshin's) will solely be Megabus.

I have two sources that have confirmed that Coach USA a.k.a Keeshin will also be giving up its Pace routes in July. Their operation (Keeshin's) will solely be Megabus.

Any of them Mark Felt?

Seriously, though, any indication about how this is supposed to be handled? As I indicated before, the contractor just can't "give up" the contract, as opposed to 5750 going before the Pace Board to tell them that Academy breached it. Pace also can't simply give up the routes, and while I suppose they could be assigned to Heritage Division, didn't pull the trigger on the OTR procurement, and would have to find another private contractor, and having already gone through Mid America, Colonial, and Keeshin....

Of course, I know of someone here who might want to bid....

• Upvote 1

To throw more gasoline on the fires of speculation, Webwatch has 6652 on 606. Again, that's not an Academy bus, as it was in Westmont in the interval between when Aurora and Westmont got Eldos, but not noted here since, except for Pace 834 indicating that there was paperwork that it was going to River.

post-14-13071352076466_thumb.jpg

Any of them Mark Felt?

Seriously, though, any indication about how this is supposed to be handled? As I indicated before, the contractor just can't "give up" the contract, as opposed to 5750 going before the Pace Board to tell them that Academy breached it. Pace also can't simply give up the routes, and while I suppose they could be assigned to Heritage Division, didn't pull the trigger on the OTR procurement, and would have to find another private contractor, and having already gone through Mid America, Colonial, and Keeshin....

Of course, I know of someone here who might want to bid....

We didnt go to the Pace board meeting to say Academy breached its contract!. We were basically standing up for our rights as dedicated bus operators. Trying to get answers on why Academy had not paid us in 6 months!