Academy/Pace operations.....

Recently I took a trip on the weekend #6000's from NW on the #606. They seem to swallow up the crowds from Woodfield pretty well. They seemed to have a few problems clearing curves one at Woodfield in the parking lot and that monster of a turn outside the Rosemont EB toll booth. On the return trip the driver hit a bunch of traffic at the I-294 interchange with the NW tollway and it took him about 20-25 minutes to get to Rosemont. I was wondering why he didn't take the NW tollway to 190 WB to Mannheim over the bridge back to 190 EB to River RD. Are you obligated to take the NW tollway all the way in? Can you travel the alternative or are you not supposed to? It seems a real drag to open the gate pull through the gate close the gate at the tollbooth. If it was up to me I'd never go that way. It just seems funny because I see no one doing that anymore.

Recently I took a trip on the weekend #6000's from NW on the #606. They seem to swallow up the crowds from Woodfield pretty well. They seemed to have a few problems clearing curves one at Woodfield in the parking lot and that monster of a turn outside the Rosemont EB toll booth. On the return trip the driver hit a bunch of traffic at the I-294 interchange with the NW tollway and it took him about 20-25 minutes to get to Rosemont. I was wondering why he didn't take the NW tollway to 190 WB to Mannheim over the bridge back to 190 EB to River RD. Are you obligated to take the NW tollway all the way in? Can you travel the alternative or are you not supposed to? It seems a real drag to open the gate pull through the gate close the gate at the tollbooth. If it was up to me I'd never go that way. It just seems funny because I see no one doing that anymore.

One thing, if they have a problem clearing curves at Woodfield, providing its not a traffic situation, then that driver in my opinion should be retrained. The 40 footers go through there everyday, theres no reason an operator should not be able to make those turns through there. The private turnoff at the EB Rosemont exit isnt hard depending on which lane youre using, you have to turn the wheel at the right time in order to make that turn without having to back up. We use either the first or second lanes, if you use the first lane with a 40 footer it can be challenging. Its a piece of cake when you use the second lane no matter what size bus youre driving. Whats more aggravating is having to manually open and shut the gate there. Because of many impatient drivers, cars have been reverting to illegally using the exit, so now IDOT keeps that gate closed. When operators have to exit they will have to exit their bus and manually open and shut the gate. As for the backups on the tollway, we all know thats a constant problem. I cant speak for Pace NW but at Academy we do ask our dispatch for permission to take the "back door" as we call it. Sometimes if dispatch hears enough calls from operators, he will then direct us by radio to use the "back door" if we need to. We are allowed to if the the IB tollway is at a crawl to a standstill. Ive done it many times where we exit off to the I-190 ramp to Mannheim SB and then exit at River Rd. It takes a little longer but it beats having to sit in that bottleneck!. Believe it or not on occasion, weve even used an exit located in the Des Plaines Oasis to exit at Touhy.

Being bored, I picked up 6605 on WebWatch. So, only 6607-6611 need accounting.

Funny you should ask because I have the update. I caught 6607 on the 829 yesterday running one of the Lisle routes. So today I passed by 1st Student Westmont and physically saw 6607, 6610, and 6611 parked in the lot. I didn't get far back enough to see if 6608 or 6609 was there, but assuming they are both there, that answers it. They probably replaced some Orions because I only saw 4 left on its lot (2277, 2276, 2283, and 2291). 3 of them were parked near the front and the 4th one was in the back, but I see 2277 on the 824 every day on my way to class.

Funny you should ask because I have the update. I caught 6607 on the 829 yesterday running one of the Lisle routes. So today I passed by 1st Student Westmont and physically saw 6607, 6610, and 6611 parked in the lot. I didn't get far back enough to see if 6608 or 6609 was there, but assuming they are both there, that answers it. They probably replaced some Orions because I only saw 4 left on its lot (2277, 2276, 2283, and 2291). 3 of them were parked near the front and the 4th one was in the back, but I see 2277 on the 824 every day on my way to class.

Wow! thats interesting that they ended up in Westmont. Good observation Rotjohns!!

Wow! thats interesting that they ended up in Westmont. Good observation Rotjohns!!

I was sort of figuring that, since they weren't showing up on WebWatch, and Westmont had Orions to lose.

Based on the 2 contract documents, Westmont should have had 8 Orions (that takes into account losing 822), two of which are spares. Rotjohns apparently has them up at least 3 and maybe 5 NABIs and down 4 Orions. Since 5 NABIs would be all that is left of what was taken to West and not returned to Academy, it isn't clear whether, if Orions are to be replaced in place (maybe, maybe not), that still indicates a couple of ElDos for Westmont.

One thing, if they have a problem clearing curves at Woodfield, providing its not a traffic situation, then that driver in my opinion should be retrained. The 40 footers go through there everyday, theres no reason an operator should not be able to make those turns through there. ... Believe it or not on occasion, weve even used an exit located in the Des Plaines Oasis to exit at Touhy.

This was the first weekend in June so it may have been the first day or 2 for them. I thought maybe they were still adjusting to the route being new for them. I understand at Woodfield driving the #208 poses the same challenge over there so that was probably just a misjudged turn. But at Rosemont the only similar route would be the #637 or possibly the #610 for NW so maybe they wouldn't know that turn as well. For some reason to me the #6000 Orions look longer than 40 feet and look more challenging to turn there. As far as the alternative routes once a driver took us WB from Rosemont down River Rd to Bryn Mawr (The road by Rosemont Theatre) and took us west to the tollway that way. That was about the weirdest ride out of Rosemont.

Reading this you had me wondering what happened to #6606, but I found out it was on the #606 yesterday for those that had the same question as me.

Yes, I brought back #6606 to Academy the same day I took #2372 down to South Holland.

We still have #2293 active, I was told it was being retired soon.

This was the first weekend in June so it may have been the first day or 2 for them. I thought maybe they were still adjusting to the route being new for them. I understand at Woodfield driving the #208 poses the same challenge over there so that was probably just a misjudged turn. But at Rosemont the only similar route would be the #637 or possibly the #610 for NW so maybe they wouldn't know that turn as well. For some reason to me the #6000 Orions look longer than 40 feet and look more challenging to turn there. As far as the alternative routes once a driver took us WB from Rosemont down River Rd to Bryn Mawr (The road by Rosemont Theatre) and took us west to the tollway that way. That was about the weirdest ride out of Rosemont.

They should be accustomed to the Rosemont exit and turn, since they have to do it when they operate the #610 on weekdays.

I was sort of figuring that, since they weren't showing up on WebWatch, and Westmont had Orions to lose.

Based on the 2 contract documents, Westmont should have had 8 Orions (that takes into account losing 822), two of which are spares. Rotjohns apparently has them up at least 3 and maybe 5 NABIs and down 4 Orions. Since 5 NABIs would be all that is left of what was taken to West and not returned to Academy, it isn't clear whether, if Orions are to be replaced in place (maybe, maybe not), that still indicates a couple of ElDos for Westmont.

And see that's the crazy thing, I didn't see the Eldos on it's lot at all. They must either be in the garage or way in the back somewhere. And there could be more Orions than I indicated, but looking at the lot from the back of the UPS facility next to it, I only saw 4.

BTW, I saw 2293 last week on the 606. It doesn't look like a bad bus at all, probably why it's still out there. I'm gonna try and get on it one day next week if I can.

And see that's the crazy thing, I didn't see the Eldos on it's lot at all. They must either be in the garage or way in the back somewhere. And there could be more Orions than I indicated, but looking at the lot from the back of the UPS facility next to it, I only saw 4.

BTW, I saw 2293 last week on the 606. It doesn't look like a bad bus at all, probably why it's still out there. I'm gonna try and get on it one day next week if I can.

I would suggest you get your ride in soon in case they decide to send the last two Orions we have down to So. Holland in Aug. It may or may not happen!. Im hoping to drive them one more time before they retire ours.

Maybe youre right but I went with the hope that considering my flexible schedule, they had one operator position open, my transit background and experience, they would be willing to make an exception. Of course NS does not run much on sat and nothing sunday so that would leave only weekdays. I remember Colonial was not too cooperative in the beginning when I applied there but they eventually called me back after I resigned because of one person there who had just passed recently, Bob Thomas, god rest his soul! He was a retired CTA operator who understood my situation, he saw that I still had interest in the job and he managed to work out a schedule for me. He was the one who convinced management at Colonial to reconsider my employment request and three years later, its worked out great! I was kind of hoping for the same at Pace NS, but unfortunately it wasant to be. But perhaps I shouldnt be bitter, I deeply understand that there are people out there who are struggling, looking for work considering our economic status right now. I really dont have the right to complain.

Bob has been there for many years.... I met him in 2000. I wanted to make nhis funeral but ended up un the hospital. Bob was my friend and I miss him much.

Bob has been there for many years.... I met him in 2000. I wanted to make nhis funeral but ended up un the hospital. Bob was my friend and I miss him much.

Bob was a good man, he was the guy who hired me at Colonial back in 2007. I couldnt make it to his funeral as well, I was at the firehouse that day. Only a week earlier we lost Vicki Nesbitt, she was Academy's morning/afternoon dispatch supervisor/driver. They were both good people, they'll be missed!.

Can now confirm 6609 is also running in Lisle, running on the 827. Now 6608 needs to be confirmed.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the list of Orion I's@S.Holland as of 7-15-10

What happened to #2372?, I drove it down there myself. It should still be there, unless it went elsewhere but highly unlikely due to its condition.

What happened to #2372?, I drove it down there myself. It should still be there, unless it went elsewhere but highly unlikely due to its condition.

That I'm not sure of,those are the only Orions in the yard w/only new ElDorados&paratransit buses in the garage and in the yard.

That I'm not sure of,those are the only Orions in the yard w/only new ElDorados&paratransit buses in the garage and in the yard.

I was going to suggest Ravinia, and jesi didn't give his usual breakdown.

I tooled around there, and while I didn't see 2372, I did see 2277, 2297, and 2330, as well as a couple of 8900s. However, it was a classical music night, and that doesn't have the crowds.

Here is the list of Orion I's@S.Holland as of 7-15-10

So that leaves Northwest with- 2315, 2321, 2324, 2351, 2352, 2354, 2358, 2360, 2363, 2365, 2366, 2368-2370, and the 35 footer 2378.

North Shore still has seven 35 fts.- 2278-2282, 2284, and 2285, and six 40 fts.- 2339, 2341, 2344, 2345, 2349, and 2350.

Academy still has 2290 and 2293, but do they still run any routes?

Did I miss any buses on these lists?

So that leaves Northwest with- 2315, 2321, 2324, 2351, 2352, 2354, 2358, 2360, 2363, 2365, 2366, 2368-2370, and the 35 footer 2378.

North Shore still has seven 35 fts.- 2278-2282, 2284, and 2285, and six 40 fts.- 2339, 2341, 2344, 2345, 2349, and 2350.

Academy still has 2290 and 2293, but do they still run any routes?

Did I miss any buses on these lists?

Academy still has Routes #600, 606, 616.

At lest with regard to North Shore and Academy, the ones you listed still show up on Webwatch, and with regard to North Shore, actually seen by me recently. I've had some physical sightings of the ones you list for Northwest, but am not as exhaustive.

I expect that it'll change soon, but not as soon as I expect.