6627 on the 77 Belmont today

cta_44499_FG

Replacing 1230 buses (considering 150 articulateds for 200 of the old).

May as well count the Optimas as new buses, too, resulting in 1275.

Yes true. Though since the Seattle artics are from the same manufacturer as the 1000s, wouldn't some of the parts be similar and compatible?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sort of seems like a mistake to me, for such reasons as that the lanes on Ridge Blvd. in Evanston aren't wide enough to handle a full sized bus. However, the way North Park was assigning the Optimas (except, perhaps, properly on 205), it probably doesn't make a difference in actuality.

You might not be losing anything on Ridge Blvd. I thought I heard somewhere that Forest Glen was possibly going to take over the Evanston routes. I don't know If this makes sense. Probably rmadisonwi could tell you more about it because that's where I think I heard it from.

I don't know if the Archer Novas going to Forest Glen are long-term or not. But, 1000-1019 are being sent to Chicago Garage in exchange for 20 Novas (I forget the numbers). Soon (don't know how long), Archer will no longer have New Flyers, and Chicago will no longer have Novas. This is being done to consolidate fleet types at garages.

I'm told that eventually, Novas will only be at two garages (don't know which other one besides Archer, but could speculate Forest Glen).

Five Optimas were sent to 103rd recently, in exchange for Flxibles. U of C keeps wanting more buses on their routes, so their fleet of 30-footers has grown from about 15 or so up to 25.

Also, busjack, why do you say that Ridge is too small to handle a full-sized bus? Standard buses run on that street without incident all the time.

Oh no, you mean Forest Glen will never see the #1000's. I hate to say this but this idea just doesn't make sense. When it is a weekend places such as Forest Glen will have to run older type buses instead of newer. What about 74th I bet they'll really get the shaft and have a total fleet of #6000's. With 1000 plus New Flyers on the street you could have easily ran them exclusively on weekends except for a few artics at North Park. That's an extreme cost savings. Now we will run old buses that cost more to maintain on weekends. The end of the new bus deliveries are at least a year away. It would make better sense to do the swaps then.

I don't know if the Archer Novas going to Forest Glen are long-term or not. But, 1000-1019 are being sent to Chicago Garage in exchange for 20 Novas (I forget the numbers). Soon (don't know how long), Archer will no longer have New Flyers, and Chicago will no longer have Novas. This is being done to consolidate fleet types at garages.

I'm told that eventually, Novas will only be at two garages (don't know which other one besides Archer, but could speculate Forest Glen).

This slitely doesn't make sense. If Archer is supposed to give up all their New Flyers and have nothing but Novas, then how does this explain Archer's Nova's ending up at Forest Glen? If this is the plan, I would have expected to see 77th's Novas going to Forest Glen.

I can see how this may be easier, but is it really smart? What if you get new mechanics at these garages and they eventually have to transfer to a different garage. Not to mention the drivers. I've heard drivers say there are differences in handling each model bus that may be assigned to their garage. Shouldn't drivers and mechanics have experience with each current model in the CTA's bus fleet?

A question about drivers' experience with the New Flyers:

Does it seem like a lot of drivers, especially those from Chicago, jerk the 1000s around too much. When I take the 72 (maybe twice a week) it seems like the driver can't brake gently, and standees always fall over. I asked an older driver (4-digit number on sleeve starting with a 4 as opposed to 5-digit number) about the issue, and he said that since the drivers are used to driving the TMCs and 5300s. Because the TMCs and 5300s are in such bad shape and brake slowly, drivers have to get used to the New Flyers. Anyway, my question is this: am I the only one who notices this?

A question about drivers' experience with the New Flyers:

Does it seem like a lot of drivers, especially those from Chicago, jerk the 1000s around too much. When I take the 72 (maybe twice a week) it seems like the driver can't brake gently, and standees always fall over. I asked an older driver (4-digit number on sleeve starting with a 4 as opposed to 5-digit number) about the issue, and he said that since the drivers are used to driving the TMCs and 5300s. Because the TMCs and 5300s are in such bad shape and brake slowly, drivers have to get used to the New Flyers. Anyway, my question is this: am I the only one who notices this?

No. I noticed the same as Kedzie was getting it's allotment of Flyers. I definitely noticed it alot on the 12 which was heavily operated by 5300s at the time. I suspected it had to do with drivers being used to the slow braking 5300s. Now you've confirmed it somewhat.

Yes true. Though since the Seattle artics are from the same manufacturer as the 1000s, wouldn't some of the parts be similar and compatible?
The body and suspension parts might be. The drivetrain parts certainly are not.

Conversely, I would bet that even though the bodies are different, the engines on all the diesel low floors are about the same.

The body and suspension parts might be. The drivetrain parts certainly are not.

Conversely, I would bet that even though the bodies are different, the engines on all the diesel low floors are about the same.

That's mostly what I was thinking of in terms of the parts compatibility: body and suspension, not drivertrains since the artics are hybrids. I was thinking in terms of how Kedzie interchanged body parts between 5300s and 6000s when it used to have both models.

1000-1019 are being sent to Chicago Garage in exchange for 20 Novas (I forget the numbers). Soon (don't know how long), Archer will no longer have New Flyers, and Chicago will no longer have Novas. This is being done to consolidate fleet types at garages.

Well "soon" is here. #1018 was on the X54 yesterday.

It looks like those Archer loaners to Forest Glen have returned to Pershing & Rockwell.

Archer needs all the help they can get now that they are 20 buses light (#1000 - #1019). I can't seem to figure out what Novas they got in return (besides the 4 or 5 at Forest Glen), Everything at Chicago Garage appears normal. Could Archer be running a 20 buses light garage?

No. Archer did get 20 buses from Chicago Garage. I just don't know the numbers offhand.

Last night I learned the answer to this question in part. I spotted #6643 on the Western route, so it sounds like #6630 - #6649. I've seen #6650 on the 54 recently and I think that #6629 had been returned to Archer before this swap. (not sure on #6629) That would be my best guess.

As rmadisonwi has all ready mentioned, all of the 6500s/6600s at Forest Glen have made there way back to Archer. Also, since when has there been an east terminal at Jefferson Park? B)
There are two terminals at Jefferson Park. One has the 85, 85A, 92, 225, 226, and other routes, the other one has 81, 90, 56, 56A, 270 and others. Whether one is north and the other south, or one west and the other east is beyond me. I saw an X54 unload on the north one, and then go back out into Milwaukee Ave. and then go back for potential passengers (as indicated by the bus stop sign) in the south.

There are two terminals at Jefferson Park. One has the 85, 85A, 92, 225, 226, and other routes, the other one has 81, 90, 56, 56A, 270 and others. Whether one is north and the other south, or one west and the other east is beyond me. I saw an X54 unload on the north one, and then go back out into Milwaukee Ave. and then go back for potential passengers (as indicated by the bus stop sign) in the south.

The explanation of the terminals isn't needed as it is very self-explanitory nor was I asking about it. I was asking about the newly mentioned east terminal, and the the two terminals are considered to be north and south. Just a minor correction.

No. Archer did get 20 buses from Chicago Garage. I just don't know the numbers offhand.

Does Archer get any of Chicago Novas with LED Destination Signs yet like the Later Novas?

What about 77th Novas? It seems that Southeast side of the City would be no longer able to see an Nova, I wish that 103rd would get some Novas and send their 6000s back to 77th if 77th is giving up their novas.