6627 on the 77 Belmont today

cta_44499_FG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today when leaving work i spotted 6627 pulling out as a 77 Belmont from the garage.

Thats an Archer Nova, Which garage? Why are they shuffling Novas around and how many Forest Glen Novas does 77th have? I've seen 6764 everyday on different 77th routes include at 95/Dan Ryan working #29 State departed the Station last evening.

That is werid. I don't think #6627 or #6628 should be at FG.

Well you can count #6623 now. It's doing trips on the #152 Addison right now. With all of these buses being in sequence it seems there has been some type of a bus transfer. I wonder what's happening at Archer? All these buses are creating a shortage over there.

What is going on? Why is FG getting so many buses? What's happening to Archer?

Hopefully, Archer is losing some buses. It doesn't need only new buses. According to a few drivers from Kedzie I had a long talk with yesterday, the people at Kedzie hate Archer because it only has one route that goes downtown. In any case, I hope Archer is trading with 103rd.

Hopefully, Archer is losing some buses. It doesn't need only new buses. According to a few drivers from Kedzie I had a long talk with yesterday, the people at Kedzie hate Archer because it only has one route that goes downtown. In any case, I hope Archer is trading with 103rd.

If that was the case, then they should hate Forest Glen because they have only one that goes downtown and really hate 74th, which, if my math and memory is correct, has none.

If that was the case, then they should hate Forest Glen because they have only one that goes downtown and really hate 74th, which, if my math and memory is correct, has none.

You're correct, there's no 74th route in Downtown, but I don't know why they hate each other about that. For example, Chicago probably hates how nice Archer drivers are.

You're correct, there's no 74th route in Downtown.
Correct as of now. The last regular one was 44. It appeared that some of the 123s came from 74 before 103 served Union Station. Before that 69th also had 45 (Ashland Downtown).

Beverly didn't have regular routes going downtown, so moving it to 103rd was certainly a change.

There wasn't ever much from Forest Glen going downtown; 56 continues, and there used to be the various versions of Elston buses.

What is going on? Why is FG getting so many buses? What's happening to Archer?

The act of bus transferring is going on. Archer has all ready lost two Hybrids and numerous Novas. As we can recall, 77th was also handing out New Flyers and Novas to Chicago and North Park, but now they're begging for more buses, and are getting the 4400s from 103rd as a result.

Plus there's bound to be some shift in bus assignments anyway. It's a regular thing that happens when new buses are added to the fleet. It's really happening a lot now because the order of 1000s is so large compared with past bus orders. With an order of 1030 of this model alone, there's bound to be a lot of shuffling going on for quite a while. It is the biggest order of one model of bus since the fishbowls.

I'm sure they're complaining about it because Kedzie has more routes operating in heavy downtown traffic now than they did before Chicago opened. They used to only have 7, 16, 20, 126, 130 and the old 131 operating downtown. Since then 10, 37 (now the current 38), 60, 120, 122, 124, 134, 156 and 157 have been added to the mix. 121, 123 and 125 used to be included during various points since then. Also you have the extension of the 12 to Museum Campus. With the transfer of 16, 20 and 131 to Chicago and 16 and 131's later discontinuation, that's a net gain of 7 routes that operate in heavy downtown and South Loop traffic. With the express discontinuations caused by the Orange line opening and the Booz-Allen cuts of 1997-98, Archer saw its downtown routes drop from seven to only one. Despite all this, it's all a part of their job that they should get used to working for a transit agency. There will be changes caused by changing financial and demographic configurations.

Actually Archer has two: 62 Archer and the 129 West Loop/South Loop, which resides completely downtown.

Forest Glen has only one: 56 Milwaukee

I had a thought that was shared by someone else's post about possible shortages at Archer. Just what is Archer getting in return, between past loans to 77th and 103rd for rush hour express runs and the recent sighting of so many Novas popping at Forest Glen? Through all this I've only still been seeing the same Novas and its Flyers operating when passing Western and California on my daily work commute.