Who Manufactured The New O'Hare Shuttle Buses?

Today's Getting Around column in the Chicago Tribune mentions new low floor parking shuttle buses for O' Hare Airport. Maybe I missed it but I could not tell who the manufacturer is or the size and number of doors on the bus. Does anyone have more info?

Gene King

They have Orion VI and another model, a 30ft bus similar to the CTA Optimas.

They have Orion VI and another model, a 30ft bus similar to the CTA Optimas.

However, you missed the Tribune article that a new contractor took over.

The front end on the bus in the video clip sure looked like an ElDorado. However, there isn't anything very distinctive about that design today.

However, you missed the Tribune article that a new contractor took over.

The front end on the bus in the video clip sure looked like an ElDorado. However, there isn't anything very distinctive about that design today.

Looks like a 30ft NABI to me. I sent an e-mail to Delaware Cars, the contractor. If they reply, I'll post the reply.

The pic in the Tribune made me think El Dorado but I wasn't sure. Also, I couldn't get a feel for the length of the bus.

Gene King

I saw the paper this morning they have a pic of the new OHare shuttle buses. They are ElDorados, the exact same models as the Pace models except these are 35ft. Pace are 30ft.

I saw the paper this morning they have a pic of the new OHare shuttle buses. They are ElDorados, the exact same models as the Pace models except these are 35ft. Pace are 30ft.

They are Eldorado National EZ Rider II 35 foot buses replacing the Orion VI and Champion Solo 30 foot buses.

James Roach

MetroLINK9013

• 1 month later...
They are Most definitely ElDorado E-Z Rider II MAXs. Poor passengers subjected to those VIs....I know how they feel, we have 42 of them here!
If that picture is recent, I'm surprised you still have Orion IIs (or a reasonable facsimile of them).

If that picture is recent, I'm surprised you still have Orion IIs (or a reasonable facsimile of them).

It's from 2006. Our Orion IIs were retired in September 2007, replaced by ElDorado E-Z Rider II MAXs.

The TTC in Toronto still has Orion IIs, as does the London Transit Commission. They are also quite plentiful in Michigan, notably Port Huron and Saginaw.

It's from 2006. Our Orion IIs were retired in September 2007, replaced by ElDorado E-Z Rider II MAXs.

The TTC in Toronto still has Orion IIs, as does the London Transit Commission. They are also quite plentiful in Michigan, notably Port Huron and Saginaw.

Saginaw also has 30ft Orion VIIs.

• 3 years later...

I wanted to share with my fellow busfans, I was hired as a shuttle bus operator for National Rent a Car at OHare Airport. I will be starting in January driving the Gillig Low floors both 35 and 40 footers. I went to day to do a ride along today, it was fun getting to learn the shuttle route between the car lot and the airport terminals. Im looking forward to starting my new job!

I wanted to share with my fellow busfans, I was hired as a shuttle bus operator for National Rent a Car at OHare Airport. I will be starting in January driving the Gillig Low floors both 35 and 40 footers. I went to day to do a ride along today, it was fun getting to learn the shuttle route between the car lot and the airport terminals. Im looking forward to starting my new job!

Congrats!!! I like the shuttle buses at O'Hare. Maybe its the Gilligs. Beware the passengers are very different than Pace.

I am very happy for you. Best of luck. I think I know a guy there I used to work with by name of Jeff Olson. Really big on historic Fire Trucks. I think he still owns one. Good Man.

Lots of luck to you. I work part-time down the street at one of your competitors (Avis) and noticed the green canopies that once had the logo National-Alamo is now National. If that is a fact, anything mentioned to repaint the buses?

Congrats!!! I like the shuttle buses at O'Hare. Maybe its the Gilligs. Beware the passengers are very different than Pace.

Thanks very much! :) I will be driving those green and blue Gillgs. Never drove a Gillig ever. But I think Im going to enjoy it. Ill be taking pics of course once I start. :) You say the customers are different fromPace, how so?? What are some things you think I should be aware of??? :)

I am very happy for you. Best of luck. I think I know a guy there I used to work with by name of Jeff Olson. Really big on historic Fire Trucks. I think he still owns one. Good Man.

Thank you! I will keep Jeff's name in mind if I meet him.

Lots of luck to you. I work part-time down the street at one of your competitors (Avis) and noticed the green canopies that once had the logo National-Alamo is now National. If that is a fact, anything mentioned to repaint the buses?

I like a little friendly competition!! :) Ill see you out there!! We have to meet up one of these days. Im not really up to speed on the National/Alamo merger. I believe they are both now owned by Enterprise. I also applied for Hertz and Avis before National. Avis was not hiring, Hertz was hiring but I was never called, dont like their color scheme anyway! :) I was hoping for either Avis or National to contact me. National called me a week ago today. I wasted no time, scheduled my interview for friday, came in and was hired following the interview. Its not the same as transit work like I enjoy, but I think I will feel good working there. I dont live far from OHare so I have the option of either driving of using the Blue Lie to get to work. already met a couple of pleasant drivers there. They were really helpful getting me accustomed to the job. So Im all pumped up and waiting for the green light!. :)

Thanks very much! :) I will be driving those green and blue Gillgs. Never drove a Gillig ever. But I think Im going to enjoy it. Ill be taking pics of course once I start. :) You say the customers are different fromPace, how so?? What are some things you think I should be aware of??? :)

Only the fact the customers can be more demanding because they're trying to catch their flight. So if there's traffic, they can be more upset. Went thru that one time when riding one. I think you'll enjoy driving the Gilligs as much as I enjoy riding them.

Only the fact the customers can be more demanding because they're trying to catch their flight. So if there's traffic, they can be more upset. Went thru that one time when riding one. I think you'll enjoy driving the Gilligs as much as I enjoy riding them.

Thank you for the advice. I understand that customers have to make their flights, the hassle of making it through security, cancelled flights, crowds, weve all been there Im sure, I know my main job is to be there for the customer. I am the customer's advocate, I will put my customers first before anyone else there, just the same as on the fire dept., I am there for the person who needs help. But also, I will put safety first before anything, even the customer!. I will do my best to get them to the terminals on time, but if Im impeded because of bad weather or heavy airport traffic, you and I know we will only make the best common sense decision to get them to where they need to go, Safely!

Ive ridden the Gilligs several times there already, Im really starting to like them! They seem smooth riding and nice to drive, I cant wait to take the wheel! I love the drivers area. :) Ive never driven a Gillig, even though we had one operating Phantom when I was employed at Colonial Coach, I never got the chance to drive it. But in Jan. I think a new and exciting chapter begins!!!! :)

Thanks very much! :) I will be driving those green and blue Gillgs. Never drove a Gillig ever. But I think Im going to enjoy it. Ill be taking pics of course once I start. :)

Hey congrats! Hope you like it :) I will say one thing about pictures though, you may want to ask about if it's okay first. With it being a private company and not public transit, plus the airport security angle, I could see someone in management not being too happy if they found out. I'd really hate to see you get in trouble just for trying to get a couple photos to share on an online forum.