Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

Its possible Academy may have officially closed out the Orions. I found Orion #2290 with the farebox pulled out of it. I snapped these pics today.

This brings back memories, as this is basically the bus I drove out in Aurora a few years back (2000-2023, 2048, 2122-24). Seeing the driver area brought it all home. I'll miss the Orions, they were pretty good buses.

This brings back memories, as this is basically the bus I drove out in Aurora a few years back (2000-2023, 2048, 2122-24). Seeing the driver area brought it all home. I'll miss the Orions, they were pretty good buses.

In my almost four years at Academy, I had fun driving the Orions. Believe it or not I didnt do any drivers training on these buses when I got hired back in 2007. Instead, I did a week of OJT line riding, didnt do any driving. A week later I was assigned my first run on the #606 driving a 40ft. Orion. Back then the NABI's were rarely assigned on the #606. But as the Orions were slowly being retired, little by little you began to see the Nabis assigned more frequently on that route. The NABIs were basically relegated to the #696 and #699 routes we had at the time because Pace wouldnt allow us to use the NABIs for freeway operation. When I did my first run I got into that seat and because of my prior CTA experience, it didnt take long for me to get aquainted with the Orion. By my second or third day, I was real comfortable driving the Orion bus. As for the NABI, I admit it took me a while to get used to when I first started operating it. I didnt start driving the NABIs until about 6 months into my employment because I wasant assigned to work the 696/699 routes. Driving the Orion, I would compare it to driving the CTA #5500 Flxibles. I guess thats how I got accustomed so quickly. The NABI was a whole different story!, Imagine that!!! :) The Orions were good buses, in the beginning I chose the Orions over the NABIs. But slowly I found myself enjoying the NABIs more than the Orions because, and many here will probably dissagree with me on this! But I found that I was having more problems with Orions, so I started favoring the NABIs. But I will miss those buses too. Ive accrued some brief but good memories operating that bus. I think it was finally time to retire these buses. Im sure Academy will be with NABIs for quite some time. Even if ours are retired they will probably ship us more 62, 66 or even the 6300 series buses. So long as we have our Pace contract.

Here is a picture of 2290 I took today at South Holland,I guess the headsign says it all. :(

Off to the left is 2122. That was the 2nd 40 footer I drove from Aurora on the old 737. We had

3...2122,23,and 24. It broke down on my first trip east and I sat at Hillside waiting for help.

This is bringing back some old nostalga and good times. If it weren't for seniority issues, I think

I'd consider doing it again.

I seem to see more and more 6600 series NABI 35-LFWs at North.

Someone told me that there were plans to use these for school trippers when the Orions are gone.

Personally, I think this is a mistake.

A 40' Orion is nearly always packed nose to tail with kids, to say nothing of what a 35' LOW FLOOR bus will be like! Any fuel cost savings (If any), by using a NABI will be quickly offset when they have to run more buses.

If I remember corectly, Kenosha uses (or used) GMC Fishbowls for their school trippers, and those are far older than the Orions. I would like to see Orions kept for North's school trippers at least.

I seem to see more and more 6600 series NABI 35-LFWs at North.

Someone told me that there were plans to use these for school trippers when the Orions are gone.

Personally, I think this is a mistake.

A 40' Orion is nearly always packed nose to tail with kids, to say nothing of what a 35' LOW FLOOR bus will be like! Any fuel cost savings (If any), by using a NABI will be quickly offset when they have to run more buses.

If I remember corectly, Kenosha uses (or used) GMC Fishbowls for their school trippers, and those are far older than the Orions. I would like to see Orions kept for North's school trippers at least.

Not to get off the subject but earlier today I spotted Nabi #6261 on the #423 at Harlem/Higgins Blue Line. I didnt know North had these still.

Very Sad!!

R.I.P #2290, I really miss Route 606 with only Orion 1s back in the day. And as for Academy, they really need some more 40 foot buses for 600/606. Only 4 is not enough. I hope #2290 got replace by an 40 foot.

NABI #6252 was its replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw 2281 on route 422 around 2pm at Lake-Cook and Waukegan rds southbound. This is the first Orion I've seen this far north in a long time. :blink:

Since the fenced area isn't being used at Lake Cook, the Orion Is NS has are more scattered (I saw a few on 422, too), but, for the most part still around. I'm not sure how things shake out based on that scattering and 2704-2707 all showing up physically or virtually on NS routes, but for the high floor enthusiasts, it looks like some of them will last into the new year.

• Upvote 1

Since the fenced area isn't being used at Lake Cook, the Orion Is NS has are more scattered (I saw a few on 422, too), but, for the most part still around. I'm not sure how things shake out based on that scattering and 2704-2707 all showing up physically or virtually on NS routes, but for the high floor enthusiasts, it looks like some of them will last into the new year.

I've seen a lot of them on the shuttle bug routes as of late. The 2300s at North are still doing well up there too.

But how many are still at North Shore? I would still say 13: 2278-2282, 2284, 2285, 2339, 2341, 2344, 2345, 2349, and 2350, but I can't prove it. 2339 was definitely a ghost bus on webwatch the last time I saw it in service this year. 2344 was missing, then spotted at 31st/Lakeshore Dr., and now is back in service at North Shore. I haven't seen 2341 in a few weeks, but can't discount it either until conformation that it's at South Holland.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the attached confirms that the 35 (and also) 40 foot Orions are still around, it also confirms that more 6600s are starting to show up at North Shore. In addition, 6668 has shown up for a couple of days now. So, the end is near.

post-14-12941802066844_thumb.jpg

Although the attached confirms that the 35 (and also) 40 foot Orions are still around, it also confirms that more 6600s are starting to show up at North Shore. In addition, 6668 has shown up for a couple of days now. So, the end is near.

post-14-12941802066844_thumb.jpg

Those are all the former Westmont buses showing up, including 6668. Pace834 should start seeing more Orions popping up at South Holland. That will leave North as the only place left for any Orions.

By the way, I thought it was said before that North Shore was in need of 40-footers, not 35-footers.

By the way, I thought it was said before that North Shore was in need of 40-footers, not 35-footers.

No way. In fact, I had said, before 2812 showed up at Westmont that I thought NS was going to get 15 of the stimulus buses. You must have it confused with the school runs at North.

The need may be down because NS ended up getting 2704-2707 from NW, although I also thought that NW could have used them.

• 1 month later...

Was past Waukegan High School today. Saw 2337, 2 2400's (2421 etc) and 4-5 6600's. I don't know about you but i'd use old Orions and old NABIs on school runs.

They should be using the Orions for school runs, but as mentioned before, once the Orions bite the dust for good, they will be putting 35-foot Nabis on those routes, which railwaymodeler had mentioned would be a big mistake unless they add more buses to the routes.

I saw that the latest RFB for selling buses has been posted.

For BusExpert's benefit, 2339 is on the list as dead at North Shore.

At some point (not today), I'll update my list on what's been accounted for with regard to Orion Is. It looks like this is not real recent, in that, for 5750, 2293 is on the list but 2290 isn't.

9 Nova Classics are on the list; again, I'll have to see if that accounts for all of them.

As far as newer than that on the list, 2402, 2407 (not previously noted), 2453, 6040, 6047, and 6173 (previously documented here as wrecked; 6047 and 6173 as described as "frame only").

Also, the slow trickling of 8900s continues (8901, 8917).

I saw that the latest RFB for selling buses has been posted.

For BusExpert's benefit, 2339 is on the list as dead at North Shore.

At some point (not today), I'll update my list on what's been accounted for with regard to Orion Is. It looks like this is not real recent, in that, for 5750, 2293 is on the list but 2290 isn't.

9 Nova Classics are on the list; again, I'll have to see if that accounts for all of them.

As far as newer than that on the list, 2402, 2407 (not previously noted), 2453, 6040, 6047, and 6173 (previously documented here as wrecked; 6047 and 6173 as described as "frame only").

Also, the slow trickling of 8900s continues (8901, 8917).

I didn't know there were 3 2400s on that list. What happened to those buses that resulted in them being retired early?

I didn't know there were 3 2400s on that list. What happened to those buses that resulted in them being retired early?

2453 was posted here as the BBQ bus, but then taken down. The picture showed an engine fire.

For the other two, someone from South Division would have to say.

However, these numbers do correspond with the budget.

Anyway, having gone through 4 for sale lists, I am left with

2274 2276

2278-2282, 2284, 2285 --undoubtedly still at North Shore

2286 2288 2290-2292 2297 2314 2316-2318 2323

2328, 2330 2332-2334 2337 2338 2354 2368 --probably still at North

2341 2344 2345 2349 2350 --undoubtedly still at North Shore

2372 2375

Some of the rest, I still presume have been saved for Ravinia service, or were junked without sale. Also, I previously noted that this list doesn't seem to have all the current retirements, such as the buses pulled within the last 6 months from Naperville, and 2372 and 2375.

Anyway, that leaves 36 of 106. No more Nova Classics.

2453 was posted here as the BBQ bus, but then taken down. The picture showed an engine fire.

For the other two, someone from South Division would have to say.

However, these numbers do correspond with the budget.

So 2453 would be probably the first 2401s are going to be R.I.P?