Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

One of the drivers, a few weeks ago, gave me a notice that was supplied with their paychecks. It amounts to propaganda promoting Pace, but on the back, under the section of "improvements", states that they will be retiring 40' buses.

The notice is on my desk at my shop. If I go back tonight to get ahead on work, I will quote the notice word for word on the 40' bus topic, otherwise it has to wait till tomorrow.

I would assume this means 40' Orion Is, as well as VIs and NABI 40-LFWs?

30' ElDorados on school trippers will be a HUGE mistake! Granted they have the same SEATED capacity as a 35' NABI, but standee capacity is much smaller. One of my friends that drive for North, has told me he and other drivers have the mind to close the doors as soon as the load of kids gets to the white line, and send the "bus full" message through the IBS, and go.

Then again, I just can't see North getting ElDorados anytime soon. My gut tells me that we will get them last, or only has hand-me-downs.

One of the drivers, a few weeks ago, gave me a notice that was supplied with their paychecks. It amounts to propaganda promoting Pace, but on the back, under the section of "improvements", states that they will be retiring 40' buses.

I would assume this means 40' Orion Is, as well as VIs and NABI 40-LFWs?

At this point, only so many as can occur as a result of shifts of existing equipment. Now that the 6600s are out of Westmont, the question is whether that is all shaking out.

As far as new buses, the IFP for the 9-416 40 foot buses has been pushed back from the original opening date of March 8 to April 19 on the Pace Active/In Process Bids page, which I think is the second delay. So, obviously, those buses, which would be needed to replace the predominant number of NABIs and Orion VIs are not going to be around in the immediate future.*

Then again, I just can't see North getting ElDorados anytime soon. My gut tells me that we will get them last, or only has hand-me-downs.

The issue here is, other than the March 2, 2011 agenda item "Ordinance authorizing a sole source contract for the purchase, manufacture, and delivery of four (4) thirty foot low floor diesel transit buses," that appears it for the Eldorados, which would take us back to the last paragraph of my prior comment above.

Since an intent has not yet manifested to buy new 35 foot buses, I have the feeling that the shifts of 6600s are to tide North over. However, given that the other collar cities in the 500 route range have 30 foot buses, I can't see North going to all 40 foot ones. Nonetheless those cities have big high schools, but I wonder if they are using school buses, even though school stops are indicated in their Pace schedules.

* Not so sure what the delays are about.It could be to answer the questions at the pre-bid conference, but it also might be like CTA and Pace in about 2004-2005, which kept setting the bid deadline back each month for over a year, supposedly because they didn't have the money. Of course, this IFP had in it that only 9 buses are firm.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking on Webwatch today, I didn't see any 2300s out at all, although with today being Good Friday, the school runs may not have happened. Have they all officially been retired?

Nope, it is because school is off.

The usual ones are back in the fence at Lake Cook (personal sighting last Saturday), so expect to see half of the Shuttle Bugs run by them. I also personally saw 2282 on 623 Wednesday, although NABIs are showing up on North Shore runs that used to be Eldo (i.e. 423 in the Glen about 5:40 p.m., and 422 leaving Northbrook Ct. at 8:30 p.m.).

I think I found a replacement for the Orions:

http://www.nabusind.com/NABI/416-standard-floor.htm

It is pretty much the same thing as the old Ikarus 416 buses that Pace got rid of a few years ago.

Really, they need to replace the Orions with another standard floor bus for the school trippers.

Reminds me of the aviation saying, "the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3".

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the last list for sale, the Pace contract awards page indicates 41 went to Sims (i.e. scrap) and 6 went to Adelman (apparently for salvaged parts),

None of you wanted an old high floor bus? :lol: Not even to run your own line in Brooklyn?

Also, it appears that Sims paid more per bus for the scrap than Adelman for the parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking at Webwatch this morning, it looks like the Orions have been confined to the shuttle bugs now. School starts next week so I'm sure we will see more at North, but clearly the end is near. I can't imagine them lasting past this year, especially if any more adjustments are made to current Pace routes that free up more buses.

Looking at Webwatch this morning, it looks like the Orions have been confined to the shuttle bugs now. School starts next week so I'm sure we will see more at North, but clearly the end is near. I can't imagine them lasting past this year, especially if any more adjustments are made to current Pace routes that free up more buses.

As last summer, they are confined in summer to NS, but have shown up on other routes, such as one was on 423 last week (physical sighting).

Moving Forward may have a devious explanation, in that it said that the RTA service boards held a tour of areas needing capital funding for congressional staff members, including in Evanston, where they viewed Pace buses and paratransit vehicles. Now we know where the oldest Pace buses are. Coincidence?

The paratransit it the picture was certainly new, and I think all the old (yellow stripe) ones should be gone by now.

I spotted what I think was 2284 heading southbound on the Edens on Thursday morning (I'm not sure of the number; I was on a Greyhound bus to Milwaukee). It was definitely an Orion I, though and it was the only one that I saw in my travels through Pace territory (I stayed at a hotel at Mannheim and North in Melrose Park) amid a sea of NABIs and Orion VIs.

I spotted what I think was 2284 heading southbound on the Edens on Thursday morning (I'm not sure of the number; I was on a Greyhound bus to Milwaukee). It was definitely an Orion I, though and it was the only one that I saw in my travels through Pace territory (I stayed at a hotel at Mannheim and North in Melrose Park) amid a sea of NABIs and Orion VIs.

Where you were staying, no way you'll see an Orion I. You'll only see them in the north suburbs. And 2284 still exists so its very possible that's the bus you saw.

More than likely, it was coming back from the Lake Cook Shuttle Bugs. While, this time of year, most stay in a fenced area up there, they do rotate them in and out. They might also be on 626, but pretty unlikely.

Also, as signs posted by the police on the street indicate, most of the motels at Mannheim and North are for 40 minute stays.

Where you were staying, no way you'll see an Orion I. You'll only see them in the north suburbs. And 2284 still exists so its very possible that's the bus you saw.

I think you misunderstood his post. He said and where he was staying (Manheim/North) was in the midst of Orion VIs and NABI both which would operate on routes 318 and 330. His observation of Orion I 2284 was from a Greyhound bus traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee along the EDENS expressway which runs through the north suburbs.

I think you misunderstood his post. He said and where he was staying (Manheim/North) was in the midst of Orion VIs and NABI both which would operate on routes 318 and 330. His observation of Orion I 2284 was from a Greyhound bus traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee along the EDENS expressway which runs through the north suburbs.

Correct. It was definitely West Division territory where I was staying. I'm just sorry I didn't have a chance to venture further into the northern suburbs to find these Orion Is.

• 4 weeks later...

I noted elsewhere

"Googling for Pace bus images included this one of the Northbrook Fire Department fighting a bus fire at Lake Cook Road. Apparently 2344. While you have to scroll down to "Bus Fire in Northbrook," it actually was in Deerfield."

So, I guess you can cross that one off your list.

I noted elsewhere

"Googling for Pace bus images included this one of the Northbrook Fire Department fighting a bus fire at Lake Cook Road. Apparently 2344. While you have to scroll down to "Bus Fire in Northbrook," it actually was in Deerfield."

So, I guess you can cross that one off your list.

What about the bus behind 2344? You would have to think some of that fire had to have gotten on the front of that bus. Any word on how that fire started?

What about the bus behind 2344? You would have to think some of that fire had to have gotten on the front of that bus. Any word on how that fire started?

According to STMG reports, no other bus was damaged.

Note though that the Northbrook Star put it in Northbrook, while the Deerfield Review properly put it in Deerfield--even though they supposedly are the same paper.

The Patch also put it in Deerfield, and has some pictures.

Those sources also seem to put it as "engine leak" although spontaneous combustion was also implied. Apparently it was also lucky that the driver was still around, instead of someone coming out of Home Depot and smelling a conflagration.

Too bad I wasn't following fire calls at the time.:D

• 1 month later...

I wonder if anyone can read into the tea leaves with regard to the statement in the 2012 Pace Budget to the effect that there are no Orion Is in the "Active Fleet," even though it looks like at the moment there are still about 30 between on the street at N and NS and reported in storage for Ravinia.

I wonder if anyone can read into the tea leaves with regard to the statement in the 2012 Pace Budget to the effect that there are no Orion Is in the "Active Fleet," even though it looks like at the moment there are still about 30 between on the street at N and NS and reported in storage for Ravinia.

The roster listed in the Pace Budget documents is always wrong. The Ikarus 2200 series were still on the road at West several years after the budget document said they were no longer in service!

I am thinking they said this about the Orion Is last year too. Was around this time of the year last year, that a rumor started at North Division that the Orions would be gone around January 2011. Guess we all know where that (didn't) lead!

I doubt the Orions will be gone that quick, for 2012. Two drivers at North have both told me there are a few more Orions in the garage, one is believed to be 2101 (Or 2102 - North had both of those for a while), but the fareboxes are gone, and there is the word "OK" near the runbox on the windshield.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I hope those drivers aren't pulling my leg about Orions being brought BACK up here! I'll take an Orion over a 6600 anyday!

I am thinking they said this about the Orion Is last year too....

The 2011 Final Budget Book had 9 35 foot ones (1992-1993) and 36 40 foot ones (1993). Since that was immediately after a bunch were retired by 2700s, that appeared about right at the time.

Although Pace 834 listed some stored for Ravinia at South Holland, at other times some were at McHenry, and from what you indicate about the 2100s, that might also be the case for them, since those were probably Joliet buses before they got the 6200s (which were subsequently replaced by 2742s).

Although I didn't save the fractured Pace proposed budget, I guess I should save the Final Budget Book for this year for such future reference purposes.

For the past few years, there has been the rumor every once in a while that the Orions will be gone "soon". Something akin to the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

I think 2101 and 2102, from what I remember, went to Highland Park after North (This was maybe three or four years ago), probably for the Ravinia shuttle. One of the North drivers I know, does Ravinia runs during the summer. I'll ask him next time I see him about those two.

Slightly OT, but I would be very happy to have either one, 2101 or 2102 back. They had excellent air conditioning in the summer, enough that one of the drivers, one summer, made up a sign for the windows, that said "Hot day, cool bus, come aboard!". It did seem to attract a few passengers at least. The heat worked very well in the winter too. Plus, I remember riding on the 566 with 2101 one winter, and it seemed to ride better in the heavy snow and bad conditions than the 2400 series NABIs did. NABIs were sliding around, but that Orion did pretty well.

From what I remember, the pair were sent to Highland Park about the time they sent us some 6600 series NABIs. I vaguely remember hearing about a trade of some sort. Of course, Highland Park may not have kept the pair very long, or they may have. I have no idea.

In the end, however, we can go around all day on the matter of Orions being wiped out, and get nowhere. Maybe someone here, such as Pace 834, will have something a little more concrete. Failing that, time will tell.

From what I remember, the pair were sent to Highland Park about the time they sent us some 6600 series NABIs. I vaguely remember hearing about a trade of some sort. Of course, Highland Park may not have kept the pair very long, or they may have. I have no idea.

Since by then Highland Park was running 2630s on its regular routes, it would have been only for temporary storage during Ravinia season. I suppose it would have been easier to store them at HP Public Works than driving them down every couple of days from Waukegan, but, as indicated by the various sightings of other Ravinia buses at South Holland and McHenry, not during the off season.

I seem to remember back about 13 years ago some Gillig Phantoms showing up in HP in Ravinia service, but back in Waukegan by school time. However, don't press me on details.