Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

Well, according to the Pace contract awards page, the advertised Orion Is (and one Ikarus) went to the "metal recyclers." I guess none of you were interested in spending under $1,000 for the gift that keeps on costing. :lol:

BTW, only 13 of the 27 are listed. However, since the amount is $31,827, I suppose all went.

For what it is worth, bus 8917 is being ready to be scrapped at the North Garage.

One of the drivers I know, got me the 'Your Operator' plaque that was mounted above the drivers side window, and took the Orion plate off the front, for himself.

I already have one of those Orion builder plates off the front, from another bus being junked.

I am talking to some people I know, about maybe getting the dashboard or a seat. The dashboard has enough toggles and controls on it, that I would like to wire them into my model railroad, and use the dashboard from an Orion to control my trains!

If I got the drivers seat to sit in while running them, all the better, but I doubt they would give me both, if anything.

I can hope though!

Does anyone have an idea where the Pace retired buses are being scrapped?

The Contact Us page on Sims Metal Management website (if you pull down Illinois) seems to have various locations around Chicago, but 93rd and Ewing seems to be one of them. Is the place where you photograph north or south of the river?

Again, my surmise, but with 2789-91 not showing up on WebWatch, at least by Friday the 17th, the two may be waiting around for those 3.

Especially, with those at the end showing up at SW, there are still those in the middle to be distributed.

#2791 was on the #240 yesterday. (physical sighting) It may not be appearing on Webwatch yet, unless it just showed up. That would leave just #2790 to look for at NW.

2790 was on the 694 on Tuesday evening (physical sighting)

It has also been on WebWatch a couple of days. So, I guess that does it for NW. BTW, I haven't seen any Orion Is on NW routes on Webwatch in the past couple of days, either.

It has also been on WebWatch a couple of days. So, I guess that does it for NW. BTW, I haven't seen any Orion Is on NW routes on Webwatch in the past couple of days, either.

Orion I 2351 was the last NW one I saw- on Wednesday this week. It was on route 223 during pm rush. I would think that it's still at NW, since the Eldos were coming in order and 2792, the last one in the sequence at NW, was there a while ago, and 2789-2791 could have been ghost buses during that time. But we'll see next week if 2351 or any other Orion I show up on NW routes.

• 3 weeks later...

The rendition of this story is correct; however I don't know if the story is.

Someone I know mentioned that she took the Dempster bus from about Milwaukee Ave. to O'Hare and because of construction it took an hour. Given the congestion on Demspter, I believed that. She then said that before that, someone had to drive her to the Skokie Courthouse from about Golf and Washington. I told her she could have taken the Golf bus direct, to which, the reply was "riding the bus is too hard, you have to climb the steps." I said "At the front?" She said "yes." At which point, I told her that all the buses on Northwest routes were low floor, and they don't have steps at the front." To which she replied "well the Dempster one did." I asked her for the number, since the people at Chicago Bus would be interested in it. Of course she didn't have it.

Now it might have been one of the ghost buses, but I'm not counting on it.

Someone I know mentioned that she took the Dempster bus from about Milwaukee Ave. to O'Hare and because of construction it took an hour. Given the congestion on Demspter, I believed that. She then said that before that, someone had to drive her to the Skokie Courthouse from about Golf and Washington. I told her she could have taken the Golf bus direct, to which, the reply was "riding the bus is too hard, you have to climb the steps." I said "At the front?" She said "yes." At which point, I told her that all the buses on Northwest routes were low floor, and they don't have steps at the front." To which she replied "well the Dempster one did." I asked her for the number, since the people at Chicago Bus would be interested in it. Of course she didn't have it.

Well the last buses that were around were 2351 and 2315. Nobody has officially said they were retired. When did this lady ride the bus?

Well the last buses that were around were 2351 and 2315. Nobody has officially said they were retired. When did this lady ride the bus?

Yesterday afternoon. That's as far as I know. Return trip might have been about 4:30. Also, at one time within the past year, she complained about having to climb up into a Niles Free Bus. Later on that was refined to "get to the back," but not initially, and someone told her to ask the driver to use the kneeler to board.

As far as "officially," the budget says 45 Orion Is and 0 2010 ElDorados.* We know that is is something like 20-24 Orion Is (I am agreeing with BusExpert's "for sure" list, for the moment).

*Other indications in the budget (page 122, 126 of the pdf) is that the count is of Aug. 1, but there were 2010 Eldorados on the street by then (sightings started June 21).

Someone I know mentioned that she took the Dempster bus from about Milwaukee Ave. to O'Hare and because of construction it took an hour. Given the congestion on Dempster, I believed that. She then said that before that, someone had to drive her to the Skokie Courthouse from about Golf and Washington. I told her she could have taken the Golf bus direct, to which, the reply was "riding the bus is too hard, you have to climb the steps." I said "At the front?" She said "yes." At which point, I told her that all the buses on Northwest routes were low floor, and they don't have steps at the front." To which she replied "well the Dempster one did." I asked her for the number, since the people at Chicago Bus would be interested in it. Of course she didn't have it.

One thing she is correct on is the terrible service on the 250. On Wednesday's evening rush there was no service for an hour in either direction at Waukegan Rd. After an hour a WB bus showed up with another WB directly behind it. 5 minutes later another WB bus showed up. After about an hour and 15 minutes of no service EB a 210 showed up. It was about 20 late. At least some riders got a reprieve. Never did see an EB 250 bus. In case your interested the service frequency on the #250 at that time is every 20 minutes, so the EB bus would have been working on it's fourth bus.

One thing she is correct on is the terrible service on the 250. On Wednesday's evening rush there was no service for an hour in either direction at Waukegan Rd. After an hour a WB bus showed up with another WB directly behind it. 5 minutes later another WB bus showed up. After about an hour and 15 minutes of no service EB a 210 showed up. It was about 20 late. At least some riders got a reprieve. Never did see an EB 250 bus. In case your interested the service frequency on the #250 at that time is every 20 minutes, so the EB bus would have been working on it's fourth bus.

I haven't been up that way in a while so this might be old news, but last I remember, Dempster Road was under construction, hence why the buses may be so late.

I haven't been up that way in a while so this might be old news, but last I remember, Dempster Road was under construction, hence why the buses may be so late.

The road construction is at the Metra/Milwaukee tracks. Its single lane. Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving WB through it at approximately 4:30PM. It took 10 minutes. It goes single lane east of where Lincoln Ave feeds into Dempster. The gap between Lincoln and the tracks is where the congestion is. Eb was backed up to almost Waukegan.

The road construction is at the Metra/Milwaukee tracks.

The really bad bottleneck is between Potter and the tollway; compounded by endless construction on Potter. In that I mentioned she got on around Milwaukee would eliminate being on the bus for an hour, but one doesn't know how long she waited for it. On the other hand, the one at the Metra tracks may have contributed to BusHunter's report of bunching (as usual, a bunch is 3 buses, but when they only run every 20 minutes...).

The really bad bottleneck is between Potter and the tollway; compounded by endless construction on Potter. In that I mentioned she got on around Milwaukee would eliminate being on the bus for an hour, but one doesn't know how long she waited for it. On the other hand, the one at the Metra tracks may have contributed to BusHunter's report of bunching (as usual, a bunch is 3 buses, but when they only run every 20 minutes...).

Potter is open.