Whats is left for 1993 Orion 1s from Pace

qwantae

One of the North drivers wrote down the numbers of the Orions sitting in the back lot. He wrote it on a transfer card, which I can't find right now, but 2102 was on it, and I believe 2290.

Probably only little more than parts buses, but a few, not sure which, have 'OK' written on the windshield by the runbox.

2102 would surprise me if it runs again in revenue service. From my understanding, it can't be easily rigged for an IBS or a drivecam. (I somewhat doubt this, as they should require little more than a 12VDC power source, and an antenna, at least in theory) In fact, when it ran at North, it had neither, prior to being sent away, and still has neither according to what those drivers have told me.

• Upvote 1

One of the North drivers wrote down the numbers of the Orions sitting in the back lot. He wrote it on a transfer card, which I can't find right now, but 2102 was on it, and I believe 2290.

Probably only little more than parts buses, but a few, not sure which, have 'OK' written on the windshield by the runbox.

2102 would surprise me if it runs again in revenue service. From my understanding, it can't be easily rigged for an IBS or a drivecam. (I somewhat doubt this, as they should require little more than a 12VDC power source, and an antenna, at least in theory) In fact, when it ran at North, it had neither, prior to being sent away, and still has neither according to what those drivers have told me.

If 2290 is the other bus, that was one of the last buses left to be retired from Academy. 2102 would be older than that. If it was to run again, or any of the other buses, I'd wonder if they might be at Ravinia for next year.

• 4 months later...

Anyway, having gone through 4 for sale lists, I am left with...

On the current for sale list are 2286, 2316, 2341, 2375.

Based on the last post, that leaves 33 (Pace 834 said that 2378 was in storage).

Older buses also for sale are 8900, 2062, 2092, 2122.

Growing up in the NW burbs in the 90's/early 00's,I'm REALLY gonna miss these busessad.gif .but the NOVA Classics were also another FAVORITE pace bus cause of the SUBURBAN "premium style seatstongue.gif . Rode my first Nova on the 208 in the late '90's.

Anyone know which routes I can look for to get my last rides when I visit Chicago in May ??

• Upvote 1

Growing up in the NW burbs in the 90's early 00's,I'm REALLY gonna miss these buses sad.gif The NOVA Classics were my FAVORITE pace bus though,Cause of the SUBURBAN "preimeium style seats wink.gif Rode my first Nova on the 208 in the late '90's cool.gif

Anyone know which routes I can look for to get my last rides when I visit Chicago in May ??

As to actually getting a ride, Orion Is are mostly limited to school runs; some on 213 from North Shore and 569 from North (Waukegan). They might also be on some Shuttle Bugs, but that's a reverse feeder only running from the Lake Cook Metra to some office building. Look on WebWatch next week.

The Orion Is completely disappeared from Northwest routes when they got the stimulus ElDorados (mid 2010?).

If you want to wait for the Ravinia Festival (starting June 7), some will be there, undoubtedly. Park and Ride info.

On the current for sale list are 2286, 2316, 2341, 2375.

Based on the last post, that leaves 33 (Pace 834 said that 2378 was in storage).

Older buses also for sale are 8900, 2062, 2092, 2122.

Where are they holding the sale and when?

Where are they holding the sale and when?

Not actually an "open outcry" auction for the public. Bidders may view the vehicles April 2; South Holland 8 buses at 10:00 am, South, 8 buses (NABIs) at 11:00, and North Shore 1 bus (2341) at 2:00; then written bids on the downloadable form are due April 19, 2:00 p.m.

2338 is a North Division bus. 272 is part equipped by North, and part by Northwest.

For what it's worth, 2354 and 2368 both are at North, I believe they came from Northwest. 2368 seems as though it was better maintained than the other Orions we have here. So, for school trippers, it is always out on the road.

2338 on the 272 is surprising, though. Has an issue, last I was on it, that when picking up or discharging passengers, sometimes a driver had to shut the bus off and restart it before it would move again. Haven't been on it for a while (Late fall last year was my last time, I believe), so that may be fixed.

Or maybe not, as it had that problem off and on for a long time.

2338 is a North Division bus. 272 is part equipped by North, and part by Northwest.

For what it's worth, 2354 and 2368 both are at North, I believe they came from Northwest. 2368 seems as though it was better maintained than the other Orions we have here. So, for school trippers, it is always out on the road.

2338 on the 272 is surprising, though. Has an issue, last I was on it, that when picking up or discharging passengers, sometimes a driver had to shut the bus off and restart it before it would move again. Haven't been on it for a while (Late fall last year was my last time, I believe), so that may be fixed.

Or maybe not, as it had that problem off and on for a long time.

And today on Webwatch, 2337 is also on Route 272. But so is 2401, along with the 2 Orion 6000s. I'm wondering if this route is busy to the point 40-footers are needed, especially rush hour.

And today on Webwatch, 2337 is also on Route 272. But so is 2401, along with the 2 Orion 6000s. I'm wondering if this route is busy to the point 40-footers are needed, especially rush hour.

It gets ridership, but I don't think that much. It might be more when it serves the offices on Barclay Road in Lincolnshire and Buffalo Grove.

As far as the 6000s, the NW runs are usually (but not entirely) interlined with 270. Conversely, late in the evening, a 2768-2792 series bus might run on both routes.

I guess what would surprise me is that, considering how ratty RailwayModeler said 2337 is that it would be out on a regular route, and that far from the North garage.

Yeah, I was thinking when I saw that post about where 2337 was, about the unsuspecting passengers aboard, unaware of the potential "guests" they may be bringing home with them.

2337 is second in crappyness, only to the now-retired 2335. 2335, I think, was up for being entered in the Guiness Book of World Records, as the slowest bus on Earth! Max speed? About 15 miles per hour, with a tailwind!

Before Pace retired it, I also referred to it as the bus that stalks me. Seemed to be anywhere I went. In fact, years ago, when I was heading to a job interview with the Waukegan Police (Applied for position in the IT department), the bus was over a half hour late. I was guessing long before it showed up, that it would be 2335. I was right.

In the end, it was not so bad. Got a one hour transfer, as it would have the expiration time printed on it. Told my interviewer (Who would soon be my boss), to subtract an hour from the time printed, and that would prove that the bus was late. This seemed to work to my advantage in the interview, as it showed some of how I work with problems.

Also, a few of the drivers at North and I, had come up with a movie idea: 'Speed - 2335'. The idea was the same as the movie 'Speed', where if the bus goes above 50 miles per hour, it can't drop below that speed again, or it will explode. Our movie, however, would only last about 20 minutes - soon as the terrorist claims the bus can't dip its speed under 50 once it hits 50, the management at Pace break into hysterical laughter, and point out that 2335 will NEVER go above 50, or even anywhere NEAR that! Cut to final scene - years later, bus is empty, sitting in scrapyard at top of a hill. By some fluke, it rolls down the hill, hits 50, and as a rusty hulk, explodes. No one hurt, but bus management say "Hey, it finally must've done 50!"

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I was thinking when I saw that post about where 2337 was, about the unsuspecting passengers aboard, unaware of the potential "guests" they may be bringing home with them.

2337 is second in crappyness, only to the now-retired 2335. 2335, I think, was up for being entered in the Guiness Book of World Records, as the slowest bus on Earth! Max speed? About 15 miles per hour, with a tailwind!

Before Pace retired it, I also referred to it as the bus that stalks me. Seemed to be anywhere I went. In fact, years ago, when I was heading to a job interview with the Waukegan Police (Applied for position in the IT department), the bus was over a half hour late. I was guessing long before it showed up, that it would be 2335. I was right.

In the end, it was not so bad. Got a one hour transfer, as it would have the expiration time printed on it. Told my interviewer (Who would soon be my boss), to subtract an hour from the time printed, and that would prove that the bus was late. This seemed to work to my advantage in the interview, as it showed some of how I work with problems.

Also, a few of the drivers at North and I, had come up with a movie idea: 'Speed - 2335'. The idea was the same as the movie 'Speed', where if the bus goes above 50 miles per hour, it can't drop below that speed again, or it will explode. Our movie, however, would only last about 20 minutes - soon as the terrorist claims the bus can't dip its speed under 50 once it hits 50, the management at Pace break into hysterical laughter, and point out that 2335 will NEVER go above 50, or even anywhere NEAR that! Cut to final scene - years later, bus is empty, sitting in scrapyard at top of a hill. By some fluke, it rolls down the hill, hits 50, and as a rusty hulk, explodes. No one hurt, but bus management say "Hey, it finally must've done 50!"

....now THAT is funny!!!

....now THAT is funny!!!

As Homer Simpson said about the original movie: "I think it was called 'The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down."I don't know if "The Bus that Couldn't Speed Up" would have the save box office draw. B)

Also, a few of the drivers at North and I, had come up with a movie idea: 'Speed - 2335'.

"Pop quiz, hotshot! Bus #2335 is moving at 20 mph with a bomb on board. If the bus goes below 20, the bus blows up!!! What do you do???"

"Uhhh.... that bus has been retired for quite a while now. There are no passengers on board it. If it blows up, you'd be doing us a favor."

"Well it's heading toward a row of parked CTA NABI buses and will destroy them."

"Great!!! You'd be doing both PACE and CTA a favor!!!"

• Upvote 2

2368 is one of the better North Orions. I'm surprised though - last week Waukegan Public Schools was on spring break, so I could understand putting an Orion elsewhere. But school is back in session now, so in theory the Orions should be assigned to school trippers.

To my knowledge, none of the runs start a school tripper and end up deadheading to Hawthorne, so these 272 Orions are a bit of a mystery this week.

To my knowledge, none of the runs start a school tripper and end up deadheading to Hawthorne, so these 272 Orions are a bit of a mystery this week.

There is the question of whether there is an interline between 572 and 272, similar to the one between 272/270.

However, in that these buses haven't showed up on 272 until last week, I tend to doubt that there is.

There is the question of whether there is an interline between 572 and 272, similar to the one between 272/270.

No such interlining that I am aware of. Generally North buses that do the 272 deadhead out to Hawthorne. One early morning 563, leaving Washington/Sheridan at 6:32 deadheads from Rosalind Franklin University to Hawthorne, and becomes the inbound 572, there are a few other runs that do similar too. I do not believe any westbound 572 buses become 272 at Hawthorne, though.

It is funny that these buses may outlast the 1999 2400 series NABIs.

I really Hope Orion 1s will beat them, I never cared for 2400s NABIs at all. I wish North would've grab couple of 2379s Nova Classics awhile ago. But ohh well, at least couple of 1993s still kicking outside of school runs. Of course some of drivers are enjoying them, those type of Orion been doing business with Pace since 1988.