WebWatch might be better

Busjack

After noting that WebWatch is undergoing maintenance, I saw that it now has links for Virtual Earth and Google Maps.

The Google Maps seem to be much better than other iterations. For instance, the one for 422 has the post-restructuring version of the route. You can click on a bus to see its number.

post-14-1236369396_thumb.jpg

Also, there are Google Maps were there weren't before, such as for 411. I'll even though in a formerly untracked Colonial one for 696.

post-14-1236369798_thumb.jpgpost-14-1236370335_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the Virtual Earth link gets you, and it only works in IE or Safari. Google, of course, works with Firefox.

Now, if the predictions are correct...

After noting that WebWatch is undergoing maintenance, I saw that it now has links for Virtual Earth and Google Maps.

The Google Maps seem to be much better than other iterations. For instance, the one for 422 has the post-restructuring version of the route. You can click on a bus to see its number.

post-14-1236369396_thumb.jpg

Also, there are Google Maps were there weren't before, such as for 411. I'll even though in a formerly untracked Colonial one for 696.

post-14-1236369798_thumb.jpgpost-14-1236370335_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the Virtual Earth link gets you, and it only works in IE or Safari. Google, of course, works with Firefox.

Now, if the predictions are correct...

How do I get Webwatch? Ive tried it on Pace's website but I havent been able to get it going.

The direct url is in the picture, i.e. http://gis.pacebus.com/webwatch/map.aspx?mode=g.

Bascially, from pacebus.com, click on Webwatch, and then View Google Map, and then pull down a route.

As I might have mentioned, this only started working this morning.

I should have also added that one has to click a box on the right for minor stops to appear.

Update: On some of the pulldowns, I got that the map file could not be found. Apparently this isn't fully loaded yet. However, I must have been lucky in the morning.

I saw one glitch: This morning some maps start really zoomed out. You can zoom in, but this does give a "world view."

post-14-1236603280_thumb.jpg

Also, on some routes, "The system is not available." However, it is on others. The map not loaded also appears for a few.

So, better, but not prime time.

Update: There is now a message that it is being upgraded and may not be available or accurate today. So, still a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking today, the Live View (SVG maps) and Virtual Earth links are gone. Since Google Maps seem to work well now, goodbye to the SVG anachronism.

Now, if they can only take care of the "system is not available at this time" on some, but certainly not all routes.

• 2 weeks later...

Pace finally announced Google Maps in Moving into the Future. The map pictured was Route 422, which might indicate that they know someone is watching. (I recognized it before reading the caption.) However, it did have lines for the route, instead of just the dots for the spots.

Nonetheless, when I tried to see if that added feature was live, the pull down was not populated. So, the fumbling continues.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The First Student buses, including the Eldos rotjohns reported at Westmont, are now showing up on WebWatch.

post-14-12883593340493_thumb.jpg post-14-12883593560768_thumb.jpg post-14-12883593780728_thumb.jpg post-14-12883595100207_thumb.jpg

BTW, whoever it is that is giving me -1 for these reports, why don't you "man up" as the person says in the beer commercial and tell us what your problem is?

• Upvote 2

It looks like Webwatch is finally getting a makeover as it won't be available Fri thru the weekend. Maybe we can finally see which buses on the routes we can't normally see now like #381 or #565.

This just came up a minute or so ago, but a quick survey indicates that while it now says © Trapeze, the missing maps, missing routes, and maps not updated to reflect restructings have not been fixed.

BTW, WebWatch is apparently now a Trapeze Group trademark.

Interesting, but what I wanna know is why are the unseeable routes not fixed? For routes like 381 and 565 to be so heavy and you can't see them on Webwatch has got to be a bit of an inconvenience if people were seriously depending on it.

1. Upgrading software does not fix the data. The latter takes effort. Pace has on its website files that it says interfaces with the Google Maps system, but doesn't seem to have audited them for completeness or loaded them.

2. Other than us clicking on bus icons to see what bus was transferred yesterday, I am sure no one seriously depends on it, or there would be enough calls to customer service that they might do something about it.

You can compare this to CTA, which does take seriously making all the various BusTracker applications work. One has to wonder whether Pace's gps supervisory system is as lax.