Longest bus route?

ryanbytes

• 3 years later...

We now have X9 to champion these figures!
But it doesn't run on holidays, which was the premise of this thread. The 9 going to 103-Beverly would still be longer, as also the X49, neither of which runs on holidays.

But kudos on finding this thread on its third anniversary. :)

But it doesn't run on holidays, which was the premise of this thread. The 9 going to 103-Beverly would still be longer, as also the X49, neither of which runs on holidays.

But kudos on finding this thread on its third anniversary. :)

We know the longest and the busiest bus line is the 9/X9 Ashland routes, but what about the smallest? that distiction would probably go to the #64 Foster/Canfield. That route only takes 15 min to complete. Even the #69 Cumberland/E. River takes longer to complete.

Actually Western ave. is the longest street with bus service when you combine all three CTA routes. From Howard on the north to 135th on the south.
Since you didn't qualify with with CTA bus service, Harlem would beat it, from 151st to Prairie St. in Glenview, among routes 386, 307, 90, 90N and 423 (some of which overlap). Even more if 386 is extended to 183rd. On the other hand, Western would then get credit for 349 down to Sibley.

9 Ashland (95th to Irving Park/Clark) 16.2 miles beats 49 Western (79th to Berwyn) 15.6 miles. X49 would be longer, but doesn't run on weekends.

Is this a contest? What prize have I won?

Yes!!! Johnny, tell Busjack what he's won!!!

"A P.O.S Bus!!! Busjack, this is a 1991 Flxible Metro that has been sitting on the scraplines for six months!!! Comes with all the standard amenities of a 1991 CTA Bus... No power windows, no power door locks, Air Conditioning(which doesn't work), Heat(also nonfunctional), Power Steering(lines are cut), No AM/FM Radio or 6-Disc CD Changer. This bus is powered by a 6v92TA Diesel Engine(all lines cut and engine ran until seized up) with a Allison push button type Automatic Transmission(lines cut here too). Also has Illinois Emission(which it failed). A prize package worth... $250.00!!! Back to you, sw!!!" :lol:

And remember this bus can be yours if the Price is Right, or if you just want to give me a soda and chocolate bar for it! Whichever you prefer! :lol:

Yes!!! Johnny, tell Busjack what he's won!!!

And remember this bus can be yours if the Price is Right, or if you just want to give me a soda and chocolate bar for it! Whichever you prefer! :lol:

At least the soda and chocolate bar only gives one high blood sugar. :P

I might have overestimated Harlem, since 386 now turns off at 131st. Still gets you to 29 miles.

Milwaukee Ave. (from Libertyville to Chicago) might even be more, about 32 miles. Take 572 to 272 (ride through or transfer to 270) to 56.

Since you didn't qualify with with CTA bus service, Harlem would beat it, from 151st to Prairie St. in Glenview, among routes 386, 307, 90, 90N and 423 (some of which overlap). Even more if 386 is extended to 183rd. On the other hand, Western would then get credit for 349 down to Sibley.

I was referring only to CTA service on Western ave, not including Pace. Ive been associated with CTA all my life including 7 years as a bus operator. l know my CTA sir!

You could do #57 Laramie in 12 minutes one way? That's not bad at all. If I were a driver, I would prefer a 12 minute route one way than over an hour just to complete the route one way.

Boredom sets in real quick. Most ops would take the longer route just because

you don't see the same stuff over and over and over.

I did look at the schedule...its 17 minutes, anyway ;)

Guest ctafan630

Now that we have figured out the longest CTA route, which route is the shortest that runs on only M-F? Which one is the shortest that runs 7 days a week?

My guess is that it would be #64 Foster/Canfield for the M-F route.

Now that we have figured out the longest CTA route, which route is the shortest that runs on only M-F? Which one is the shortest that runs 7 days a week?

The #64 Foster Canfield is the shorest CTA route. It will take only 15 minutes to complete the loop around. I think the #69 Cumb/E River is the next shortest route and also the #56A N Milwaukee.

57 Laramie would be my guess for shortest 7 day a week route.

The #64 Foster Canfield is the shorest CTA route. It will take only 15 minutes to complete the loop around. I think the #69 Cumb/E River is the next shortest route and also the #56A N Milwaukee.
56A you also have to consider the branch to Devon-Harlem.

106 might be longer, but has little coverage, as its only purpose seems to be serving Olive-Harvey (and maybe street reliefs at 95th).

Beyond that, you are getting into the neighborhood of the Midway feeders (55A and 55N).

Guest ctafan630

Is the #64 also the shortest distance wise? After guessing #64 was the shortest I began to think about the Express Bus service from The Oligive Transportation Center to the Illinois Center (#120 or #122).

Is the #64 still the shortest distance wise?

• 13 years later...