Longest bus route?

ryanbytes

3 hours ago, stormykara said:

Hey! I wanted to check if the 9 is still the longest CTA bus route one can travel on a weekend. Although this thread is about thirteen and a half years old, it's the best discussions of the longest CTA bus route I can find thus far.

I think the 26 is the longest CTA bus route, but it doesn't run on weekends. 

My guess for the longest weekends bus route would be the J14 Jeffery Jump.  I'm estimating the route is about17 miles long.  The 9 Ashland is estimates about 16.25 miles.  There's no Beverly 103rd service on weekends. 

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My guess for the longest weekends bus route would be the J14 Jeffery Jump.  I'm estimating the route is about17 miles long.  The 9 Ashland is estimates about 16.25 miles.  There's no Beverly 103rd service on weekends. 

J14 is actually about 18 miles long or at least really close to it

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

29 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

J14 is actually about 18 miles long or at least really close to it

I vaguely remember looking up this info and putting it on the forum, but I have no clue what post/thread it would be in lol. That said, J14 is ~15.19 miles long. The 9 is ~18.16 (but that includes the 104th ext).

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I vaguely remember looking up this info and putting it on the forum, but I have no clue what post/thread it would be in lol. That said, J14 is ~15.19 miles long. The 9 is ~18.16 (but that includes the 104th ext).

yea pretty much 9 beats the J14 6 26 49/X49 and bunch others im still shocked 9 is longer then the 26 cuz 26 makes hella turns and bends down ewing to 106th then bends back down to 103rd 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea pretty much 9 beats the J14 6 26 49/X49 and bunch others im still shocked 9 is longer then the 26 cuz 26 makes hella turns and bends down ewing to 106th then bends back down to 103rd 

But 26 doesn't make it to Irving Park or Berwyn.

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Technically the old configuration of the X49 would be the longest right?

20211010_050031.jpg

Someone posted somewhere confirming the 26 being the longest route by miles from end to end.   I think it came in over 19 miles.  The X49 in its original form would have been 17 5/8 miles or 18 miles if you count the 98th routing for the turnaround.  The 9 with the 103rd terminal clicks in about 17 1/4 miles or so.The 9 and 49 are pretty linear routes.

The post that restarted the conversation asked for the longest WEEKEND Zroute, which probably puts the J14 at the top.  Remember it starts at Jefferson  ( 600W) and travels as far east as Torrence  (2650 E) before traveling back west another 1 1/4 miles to Stony Island.  That's about5 miles east west coupled with 12 miles from Madison to 103rd.

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The longest streetcar run was the original 36 Broadway, which ran from Clark/Arthur to 119/Morgan.

42 minutes ago, strictures said:

The longest streetcar run was the original 36 Broadway, which ran from Clark/Arthur to 119/Morgan.

Mercifully that got split in two being the 36 Broadway and the 36A State.  The portion south of 95th eventually became the 34 S Michigan upon the opening of the Dan Ryan Line.   The 36A eventually got renumbered 29.  

• 2 months later...

From history long former routes - 111AX Vincennes Express (Wacker/Clark to 111/Pulaski), 162 Pulaski-Stevenson Express (State/Kinzie to 115/Keeler), 168 UIC-Pilsen Express (Halsted/Harrison to UPS Hodgkins), 164 Narragansett Express (State/Kinzie to 63/Archer).

Streetcar - Western Howard to 111th. Not quite as long as Broadway-State, but lasted much longer. Broadway-State only thru routed 1934. Whiting/East Chicago 63rd/South Park to Indianapolis/Chicago in East Chicago was longest interstate.