"Stop" Button

cta5658

It is fairly common for a standee passenger to grab that button by mistake. All it does is request a stop.

Of course, if the passenger grabs it by mistake, the driver still stops, which results in a slight delay.

Other problem is, that if a passenger grabs it by mistake, and tells the driver it was hit by accident, the stop request bell will not ring again till the doors are opened. So let's say I hit the button by accident, if someone wants off a block or so later, it doesn't do anything if they pull the cord again.

Not sure why they are placed where they are. One would think, as Pace's NABIs have been around since the late '90s, that in all this time, they would have found a better place for that button.

Not sure why they are placed where they are. One would think, as Pace's NABIs have been around since the late '90s, that in all this time, they would have found a better place for that button.

In the high floor buses, the button was over the door next to the green light. Obviously, most can't reach there from the low floor, while on a high floor, one could reach it before stepping down into the well.

Of course, why they need a button near the door is beyond me. Even a person in a wheelchair position has a cord. (That is required by the ADA regulations.) However, maybe they were thinking that CTA (or some TA with a crush of passengers) would pack the bus to the gills and a standee can't get to the cord.

Even if the bus was that packed, usually standees will ask someone seated next a cord, to pull it for them. Works pretty well.

I still believe that button is fairly useless, except for causing the occasional false stop request.

To be honest, I have almost hit it by accident a few times myself. Almost.

when i ride a NF hybrid bus, i see a stop sign on the pole. i wonder what would happen if someone pressed the button?

here's a pic...

post-111-12696477367951_thumb.jpg

I believe these are on all current stock... not 100% sure, but I think the NOVA LFS and Optimas have them. I know the New Flyer D40LF and DE40LF have them.

I actually think it is a great feature. I don't have to reach over someone, or someone doesn't have to lean on me to reach the pull cord if they are standing and I am sitting. I am also sure shorter riders appreciate it too. The only bad thing about the stop request signal is that it only rings once. The 9000 series (9000 - 9599) were the last buses that you could ring the bell multiple times.

In the high floor buses, the button was over the door next to the green light. Obviously, most can't reach there from the low floor, while on a high floor, one could reach it before stepping down into the well.

Of course, why they need a button near the door is beyond me. Even a person in a wheelchair position has a cord. (That is required by the ADA regulations.) However, maybe they were thinking that CTA (or some TA with a crush of passengers) would pack the bus to the gills and a standee can't get to the cord.

Actually the button in question was found on the old MAN Americana 4000 series among the high floors. It was on the NABIs and is also found on the Novas. To answer cta5658's question, it's nothing more than a stop request button as mentioned. On the Americana's, if I remember correctly it was placed on the pole immediately preceding the two right side forward facing seats behind the rear door. It also was pretty redundant on the Americanas since they also had a button above the rear doors like the other high floors. On the 800s, 900s and 1000s it's similarly placed. On the Novas it's on the other pole at the rear door; if you were standing at the rear door you'd hit it with your left hand instead of your right. On the defunct NABIs and the current 4000 series NF artics, there's two of these buttons, one in the front section of the bus on the pole immediately before the umbilical as pictured in the starting post of this thread and one at the rear on that pole that divides the space at the rear exit doors.

The Novas also have a stop request button above the back door, next to the green light. I don't recall if there is a label nearby indicating its use, or if it's just sitting there nondescript. It doesn't look like anything, just a little silver button.

I'm probably the only person in the system that ever uses that button to request a stop.

To correct my post above, the artic 4000s have three of these buttons and not the two I said. There's one on both sides on each pole just before the articulation section of the bus and the one at the rear door that I mentioned. I spotted the third one when I was riding a 4000 on the 12 Roosevelt today.

To correct my post above, the artic 4000s have three of these buttons and not the two I said. There's one on both sides on each pole just before the articulation section of the bus and the one at the rear door that I mentioned. I spotted the third one when I was riding a 4000 on the 12 Roosevelt today.

I used to use it on the MAN Americanas.