Illinois Most Dangerous Railroad Crossings

sw4400

I'm not sure what would be #1 on the list, and input from forum members is appreciated, but I think I've found one that ranks at least in the top 10... if you go to google maps and type in W. Grand Avenue and W. Conti Pkwy, you'll see one of, IMO, the most dangerous crossings in Illinois, located in Elmwood Park. Link here

They were supposed to put an underpass there, but apparently have not yet.

Others that qualify are where the railroad parallels a street with a traffic light, such as Northwest Highway (the "tragedy on the tracks" in Cary) or Harlem Ave./Lehigh Ave. in Glenview near the Milw. N. It appears that traffic lights were subsequently interlocked with the train signals to clear the crossing, but I don't know.

The Tribune keeps ranking high the one at Nagle and Northwest Highway, mostly for the reason stated above and people going around the gates.

Guest ctafan630

They were supposed to put an underpass there, but apparently have not yet.

They considered it, but the cost would be a lot and then there is problem with acquiring the necessary land. There is also the problem of what do to with all the traffic on Grand Ave while the underpass is being built.

They considered it, but the cost would be a lot and then there is problem with acquiring the necessary land. There is also the problem of what do to with all the traffic on Grand Ave while the underpass is being built.

I didn't know they were going to build an underpass there. I know a few years ago they built the one in Franklin Pk. on Grand that the soo line travels over and removed the tracks and crossing west of there and paved a street over it. If they did build at the Elmwood PK location the approaches to the underpass would probably be too long and they would have to reconstruct the road that leads to Village Hall. So it would be complicated to say the least.

I'm not sure what would be #1 on the list, and input from forum members is appreciated, but I think I've found one that ranks at least in the top 10... if you go to google maps and type in W. Grand Avenue and W. Conti Pkwy, you'll see one of, IMO, the most dangerous crossings in Illinois, located in Elmwood Park. Link here

I agree, I love trains but that is the MOST ridiculously crossings that I've ever seen, my friend lives down street from there.

• 3 months later...

if you go to google maps and type in W. Grand Avenue and W. Conti Pkwy, you'll see one of, IMO, the most dangerous crossings in Illinois, located in Elmwood Park. Link here

Here's three videos of this crossing in action, plus one of an accident at this crossing...

Video #1(This video shows how long this crossing is)

Video #2(Look at the clear and present danger this crossing brings!)

Video #3(This video shows the result of six cars that got caught in-between this long crossing, probably several years ago)

Video #4(SOO-Freight Train passing Grand and Conti)

• 3 months later...

Ohh, I found another one of the most dangerous Illinois Crossings that's similar to Grand Ave & Conti PKWY Crossing. It's the Chicago & Northwestern/ Metra RR Line on Roosevelt Road (IL 38) just East of Kautz Road at West Chicago IL near Geneva IL (Far West Suburban).

• 2 years later...

I ran across this video from fellow member BusHunter's YouTube page(he's got a lot of old video of various CTA, PACE and Metra related news clips that date back to the 1990's. I recommend his page to those looking for news video articles regarding these three transit agencies). Anyhow, here is a full video of the Grand/Conti accident live just after it happened(full video is almost 90 minutes long done by ABC 7 and WGN) where a Metra Express train ran through 16 cars stopped on the tracks due to traffic congestion around Thanksgiving, year unknown.

I ran across this video from fellow member BusHunter's YouTube page(he's got a lot of old video of various CTA, PACE and Metra related news clips that date back to the 1990's. I recommend his page to those looking for news video articles regarding these three transit agencies). Anyhow, here is a full video of the Grand/Conti accident live just after it happened(full video is almost 90 minutes long done by ABC 7 and WGN) where a Metra Express train ran through 16 cars stopped on the tracks due to traffic congestion around Thanksgiving, year unknown.

According to the Mayor of Elmwood Park it would cost between 80 to 90 million to make a underpass or overpass.

The previous Mayor and Cook County Commissioner Peter Silversti had the cost at 55 to 60 million.

The main problem is if your going east pass the tracks is Conti is very close and has the traffic light.

I guess Elmwood Park doesn't want to give up its Revenue from the Camera there.

The date that happened was 11/25/05. All of the videos I have date from '99 to '11. The blizzard one is the oldest. ABC7News claims that you can download the news footage from that accident on it's site here: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=3662612 I can't seem to figure out how that works though and it probably is not the hour version. What you are seeing on Youtube was the unedited news as it unfolded live. It's probably a one of a kind recording. It's kind of nice to go and look at old news stories, alot of those I forgot even happened.

The main problem is if your going east pass the tracks is Conti is very close and has the traffic light.

I guess Elmwood Park doesn't want to give up its Revenue from the Camera there.

If it is a state or county road, the village wouldn't have much choice, as the state said that the cameras are not going back on Willow Road after it is reconstructed because they won't be needed there, even though that is going to cost Northfield a lot of money. Besides it not sounding right that there is a red light camera where it could back traffic up over that dangerous of a crossing, I still bet that the problem is the lack of the $80-90 million, as well as the engineering problem there (i.e. how could they maintain traffic over that long of a stretch during construction).

If it is a state or county road, the village wouldn't have much choice, as the state said that the cameras are not going back on Willow Road after it is reconstructed because they won't be needed there, even though that is going to cost Northfield a lot of money. Besides it not sounding right that there is a red light camera where it could back traffic up over that dangerous of a crossing, I still bet that the problem is the lack of the $80-90 million, as well as the engineering problem there (i.e. how could they maintain traffic over that long of a stretch during construction).

Its not a state or county road.They did One in Franklin Park about 10 years ago at a cost of 32 million.

Needless to say cost has gone up.There is a lot of straight road on Grand.

Without see the plans for it i don't know if the gas station west of the tracks or the fire station east of the tracks would have to relocate.l

Its not a state or county road.They did One in Franklin Park about 10 years ago at a cost of 32 million.

Needless to say cost has gone up.There is a lot of straight road on Grand.

Without see the plans for it i don't know if the gas station west of the tracks or the fire station east of the tracks would have to relocate.l

They did on Lake Cook Road as well.

They did on Lake Cook Road as well.

The first time, they got a big federal grant. Apparently this time Cook County was able to reconstruct it to 3 lanes each way under the MilwN tracks while staying within the existing profile of the overpass, even though last time it was two lanes.

In fact I was thinking about the first Lake Cook construction job at the MilwN when I said the engineering problems might be too great at Grand. To maintain traffic at Lake Cook, they had to construct shooflies for both the train tracks and the road, bypassing the site of the overpass. Then, when the overpass was completed, they had to first relocate the train tracks to it, and then dig through the embankments to provide a path for the road. During construction, the grade crossing was quite a bit north of where the road was.

I'm still waiting on how they will reconstruct the UP Shermer Road overpass, but again it appears that they are doing pile driving south of the temporary embankment, and Shermer Road is closed.

The issue, as I see it, is not just relocating the tracks and road maybe 72 feet each, but over the huge length of the oblique 3 track crossing at Grand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that's what makes the project so expensive.

The first time, they got a big federal grant. Apparently this time Cook County was able to reconstruct it to 3 lanes under the MilwN tracks while staying within the existing profile of the overpass, even though last time it was two lanes.

In fact I was thinking about the first Lake Cook construction job at the MilwN when I said the engineering problems might be too great at Grand. To maintain traffic at Lake Cook, they had to construct shoe flies for both the train tracks and the road, bypassing the site of the overpass. Then, when the overpass was completed, they had to first relocate the train tracks to it, and then dig through the embankments to provide a path for the road. During construction, the grade crossing was quite a bit north of where the road was.

I'm still waiting on how they will reconstruct the UP Shermer Road overpass, but again it appears that they are doing pile driving south of the temporary embankment, and Shermer Road is closed,.

The issue, as I see it, is not just relocating the tracks and road maybe 72 feet each, but over the huge length of the oblique 3 track crossing at Grand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that's what makes the project so expensive.

On the west side of the tracks on Grand is 76 going south.It starts at Grand one way going south where the street is going downhill. I think they would lower Grand to get to that level west of the tracks.

The Metra station go from 75th Ave up to almost Grand.

I have no idea on how they would do it east of the tracks.