103 Must Be Short

trainman8119

Spotted 508 on the 28 this morning in Hyde Park. 103 must be running short, unless it was

headed into a U of C route.

103 has been short for a while. You frequently see 77th's NOVA's popping up around 95th/Dan Ryan these days on routes besides the 29 now.

well U of C is also getting out soon I think so that could be it. Plus the 100 has very low ridership

The CTA page says " Operates September thru mid-June as shown here (operates weekday rush only during summer)." for 171. Similar for 172.

So, by now you are correct that those two routes are on reduced schedules.

well U of C is also getting out soon I think so that could be it. Plus the 100 has very low ridership

And as I recall, once U of C goes into its summer season the 170s U of C routes go into half hour headways. So 500s wouldn't be as needed as much there and would be free to operate on 103rd's other lower ridership routes. However that sighting on the 28 is unusual any part of the year. The sighting on route 100 isn't as unusual.

No evidence of any Novas on any of the K-only routes this afternoon rush. The Novas on the #8 Halsted and the #62 Archer are from 74th, which operates some of the trips on those two routes.

I did spotted an NOVA operating Route 8 Northbound on Thursday late morning but It had "6" on windshield, so I assume that 74th is still doing some trips on that route. I miss Route#62 with bunch of NOVAs when Archer Garage was active before closed for a storage.

And as I recall, once U of C goes into its summer season the 170s U of C routes go into half hour headways. So 500s wouldn't be as needed as much there and would be free to operate on 103rd's other lower ridership routes. However that sighting on the 28 is unusual any part of the year. The sighting on route 100 isn't as unusual.

LOL!!! I haven't seen an Optima on Route 28 since one time I did rode one Southbound on 28 back around Summer 2007, I thought it was very unusual.

LOL!!! I haven't seen an Optima on Route 28 since one time I did rode one Southbound on 28 back around Summer 2007, I thought it was very unusual.

Must have been very crowded knowing the 28 laugh.gif . I remember seeing a few on the 103 and 106 from time to time.

I'm not sure if I should say it under this forum, under More Bus Moves, or start a whole new forum, but I'm still wondering what CTA's next purchase of buses will feature when it's time 2 replace the Novas.

This was disscussed in the More Bus Moves forum for a bit, but you can bring it up again there. But anyway people are saying that more Novas could be a possibility as well as New Flyer LFRs or hopefully more artics.

This was disscussed in the More Bus Moves forum for a bit, but you can bring it up again there. But anyway people are saying that more Novas could be a possibility as well as New Flyer LFRs or hopefully more artics.

I agree. However, I'm kinda hoping more for hybrids. Even if CTA decides 2 order more Novas, I know that the Nova Bus company also manufactures hybrids.

No. I seen nova 654x on the 21 and the 60. And those are k only routes.

I remember 21 and 60 was all Nova's for a little while after Archer took those routes away from K until Closed on February 2009 changes. Other than that, it's nice to see an Nova again on those two routes.

I agree. However, I'm kinda hoping more for hybrids. Even if CTA decides 2 order more Novas, I know that the Nova Bus company also manufactures hybrids.

Montreal STM got some New Nova Hybrids I think. I think that they're getting more Hybrids from NOVA to replace the rest of their remaining Nova Classics 13-000 to 15-000s, they've just retired their entire MCI Classics a month ago. Montreal will soon to be 100% Nova LF city.

Wishing for more artics is fine and everything, but keep in mind not every street that supports a heavily used route is very artic friendly as well as the fact that for the past two years bus service has been scaled down by 15% of what it was before 2009. One example is on the 22 being artic operated evening, overnight and weekend hours and it being a very tight fit on Clark Street on various portions during those hours. So it brings up the question where would you put them?

Wishing for more artics is fine and everything, but keep in mind not every street that supports a heavily used route is very artic friendly as well as the fact that for the past two years bus service has been scaled down by 15% of what it was before 2009. One example is on the 22 being artic operated evening, overnight and weekend hours and it being a very tight fit on Clark Street on various portions during those hours. So it brings up the question where would you put them?

But that basically gets down to Huberman representing that he was going to replace 6000s with artics 4 with 3. Also, the intended use of the phantom order for 140 once it became clear that the 208 were replacing NABIs.

Of course, the 6000s are being crushed without replacement, so one would presumably be talking Novas in 2013.

But, I don't have any problem with that, considering that NABI artics were on other than express routes.

If you asked today, I still would say 3, 4, 8, 9, 20, 49, 79, 87 also maybe 63, 66, 72, 77.

The above list is based on the last Ridership Report. Although it doesn't show productivity any more, I think the proxy of over 2 million rides YTD still works.

My maybes are based on street conditions, while street conditions should not affect the others.I'm also assuming (rightly or wrongly) that Kedzie has some artics on its heavier, non LSD routes

Now, if "where would you put them" refers to garage space, it appears that the only available space is at 77th, unless things get so bad by 2013 that one would be replacing Novas 4 with 3.