New Bus Operators on Route(s)

sw4400

I couldn't imagine what was going on this morning on my bus to work. I boarded the #11 NB and when we got to Lincoln/Damen/Irving Park, the Operator started turning right onto Damen. Myself and several others helped steer her back onto Lincoln. She said it was her 1st day on the Route. Shouldn't she have had someone to supervise her at least on the first run or two, especially a route that twists and turns as it heads to Howard/Kedzie? I had to work, otherwise I would've tried to help her. I hope she got through to Howard/Kedzie ok. I know she had to turn off Lincoln onto Western, then back onto Lincoln past Lawrence, then at some point North, turn onto Kedzie and head to Howard. Wrong route to be alone on for a 1st day, IMO.

I couldn't imagine what was going on this morning on my bus to work...She said it was her 1st day on the Route...Wrong route to be alone on for a 1st day, IMO.

I say give the young lady credit.

If she is assigned to North Park, she had several routes to learn. Some lines you need time on more than others. I would imagine she's had several weeks of line instruction, and even so, the first day behind the wheel alone is very nerve racking. Kudos to you and the others for being patient and willing to help. Over the years, there have been a LOT of new bus operators that have quit the job on their first day because they made an error and got lost and rather than help the poor soul, the passengers on the bus took advantage and the whole damn thing became a nightmare...

Wrong route to be on first day?

Nah. The window clerk doesn't care. When you are a newbie, you work the extra board. You work what you are assigned, or you go see the manager (who doesn't want to hear excuses). What would be the RIGHT route to be on the first day? Devon? Lunt? North Kedzie? Easy lines, sure. But, as they say, if you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch. You have to learn the difficult routes sometime, otherwise newbie bus operators become a liability. Call me lucky - my first assignment was the 43rd Street nightcar out of 52nd Street...and, that was back when we did the shift change at the Stock Yards, AND The Ampitheater was still in operation. It might seem like an "easy street", but I guarantee you, it wasn't. That next day saw me on a "tripper" on the old 5B Yates/Colfax, with the afternoon portion on the old 5 Jeffery Local. Every other bus went via 95th Street to Yates.

Anyway, give the person credit. They finished training, qualified, got their CDL, and (hopefully) starting a new career.

Some of us are quick learners. Others need more time.

...................................................................................................................................................

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance,

one cannot fly into flying."

--Friedrich Nietzche

....................................................................................................................................................

Working at North Park Garage, it takes time to learn the routes. I know through experience, I had made a bad turn my first day working the #203 Ridge/Grant. Best thing to do is stay calm, work the problem through and get yourself back on track. Mistakes happen, even if youre a seasoned operator.

I say give the young lady credit.

I'm not like some other passengers who would probably be an a*****e to her. If I didn't have to work, I would've helped out for a run or two. What suprised me is the absence of a helper/Line Instructor to direct her on her first trip or two on #11. I have heard stories of Operators who were new to the route and a Line Instructor/helper was on board with a clipboard directing them on where to turn, stop, etc...

One thought--can't the GPS be programmed as a navigation device ("left on Sheffield, left on Fullerton, right on Lincoln, right on Sedgwick, or not)? That can't be too costly.

In the old days (and I think still at Old Orchard), there used to be signs "CTA -->". Of course, that wouldn't do much good if she was turning at Damen instead of Sheffield (just off 10 blocks).

I'm not like some other passengers who would probably be an a*****e to her. If I didn't have to work, I would've helped out for a run or two. What suprised me is the absence of a helper/Line Instructor to direct her on her first trip or two on #11. I have heard stories of Operators who were new to the route and a Line Instructor/helper was on board with a clipboard directing them on where to turn, stop, etc...

Usually that would happen with a first day operator, which was just hired and completed all the necessary tasks to start out on the street. Sounds to me like the operator was a transfer from another garage and just doesn't know that part of the city that well. (maybe she's from the south side) In that scenario a line instructor would not be required. The only way you would know for sure was if you knew her badge number unless she was rehired under an old badge.

... What suprised me is the absence of a helper/Line Instructor to direct her on her first trip or two on #11.

I have heard stories of Operators who were new to the route and a Line Instructor/helper was on board with a clipboard directing them on where to turn, stop, etc...

What a Line Instructor does is "cubbing" - or on the job training.

You have to understand, when you see a newbie operator with a Line Instructor, the newbie operator is actually driving the run that is assigned to the line instructor. Line Instructors are not assigned to ride with newbies once they qualify.

Back in the day, the Istruction Department issues operators what are called "line maps". They are detailed street maps of any given route and many show detailed variations and deviations.

You know, they say you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink? Well, many new operators have the line maps, few study them as they should. Ask any operator on this forum.

Everybody makes mistakes.

When you finish your training and 'qualify', supposedly you are ready for the street.

Instructors can't be available to hold everyone's hand once they plug the board. You either get it, or you don't.

One thought--can't the GPS be programmed as a navigation device ("left on Sheffield, left on Fullerton, right on Lincoln, right on Sedgwick, or not)? That can't be too costly.

The majority of bus operators know the route already.

Programming that information into the sytem is a waste of bandwidth, and is a hazzard to someone trying to professionally operate a bus.

In the old days (and I think still at Old Orchard), there used to be signs "CTA -->". Of course, that wouldn't do much good if she was turning at Damen instead of Sheffield (just off 10 blocks).

Yes. Those signs are called "wayfinders". The point was to help bus operators navigate out of the shopping plaza parking lot.

Old Orchard had them, yes. They were also at Ford City, Scottsdale, Lake Meadows, and O'Hare Airport (as well as Union Station and Northwestern Station for the contra-flow lane). These were turns and entrances/exits that would be difficult to translate on a line map.

I respectfully disagree.

Many first day operators complete their first assignments quite well and without incident.

If the operator was "transfered" from another garage, they would have to "qualify" with the station instructor. This means, they are given the list of assigned routes to that garage, and they have to ride these routes to see timepoints and landmarks. True, you can 'fake' your way through this, but if you get caught 'off-route', you are subject to discipline and/or termination.

As badges and badge numbers go, there is no way to know what operator is assigned where by their badge. Badge numbers are now issued by seniority. An operator initially assigned to 103rd can 'pick' a new assignment out of North Park, or say, Forest Glen. The badge number will never change. It's up to that operator to 'qualify' at that location before they can work there.

The operator we are discussing admitted that it was her "first day".

Most of us only have ONE first day.

I mean't by the badge number if she had a #50000 badge number she would be pretty new. The last numbers are somewhere around #50700 but that was a while ago before the cuts)If it were less like #30000 then she's either a rehire or transfer. I don't think there been any new operator hiring for quite a while. The last I heard they were trying to get the last of the cut drivers back. (maybe the last 100) If they cut service this winter they might be right back where they started hiring drivers back.

I couldn't imagine what was going on this morning on my bus to work. I boarded the #11 NB and when we got to Lincoln/Damen/Irving Park, the Operator started turning right onto Damen. Myself and several others helped steer her back onto Lincoln. She said it was her 1st day on the Route. Shouldn't she have had someone to supervise her at least on the first run or two, especially a route that twists and turns as it heads to Howard/Kedzie? I had to work, otherwise I would've tried to help her. I hope she got through to Howard/Kedzie ok. I know she had to turn off Lincoln onto Western, then back onto Lincoln past Lawrence, then at some point North, turn onto Kedzie and head to Howard. Wrong route to be alone on for a 1st day, IMO.

She said it was her first day on the route. More than likely she was a transfer from another garage. It is also possible that she could've been at NP for a while and got stuck with the Lincoln route for the first time, either by pick ( certain times and off days) or just the luck of the draw for the extra board. I once knew a driver who started out at Archer, then CTA transferred her to NP. She had no knowledge of the north side, but she was able to navigate it. She mostly worked the lakefront express routes until she was able to transfer to her preferred garage at Kedzie.

I remember a new driver at Pace North some years ago. He was with a line instructor, and I was on that bus. I was filling him in on little things to be looking for on the various routes. Well, come a week later, it ended up that I was on his first run by himself. We were sitting at the Washington/Sheridan pulse point, and he asked me when to pull the bus, what streets to turn on. Seems he was still unsure of himself. From what I was gathering, he got a form of stage fright, as it were. I was heading home, but had nothing going on that evening, so I stayed on the bus with him and coached him through the route, all the way to Hawthorne Mall and back. We stayed pretty close to on time too!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't they have maps of the route for the drivers?

Yes, there are maps...but seeing on paper and seeing in real time are two different things. Anyone can read a map and see that, yes, indeed I do need to make a right turn onto Sedgwick off of Lincoln. However, what is on that corner to use as a landmark to remember? Some street signs are not visible from a certain direction or nonexistent altogether. Also, many drivers get a case of stage fright when they're doing the route alone versus with a line instructor. I personally did the 151 Sheridan twice with a line instructor, only to miss a turn (twice) when I was on my own. Now, I cannot forget the route as much as I'd like too. :lol:

Recently, I made a stop at Grayland Staion and found a CTA Bus Operator Route Training guide that new operators are issued. It was issued from Forest Glen Garage, Dated 1955! Some of the routes in the book from back then were 92 Foster/NW Hwy, 85B Central Limited, 85 Central (Trolley bus) 55 Elston, 14 Devon/Cicero. The routes are referred as "Gas Bus" or "Trolley Bus". And of course most of the routes at FG remained the same to today.

Recently, I made a stop at Grayland Staion and found a CTA Bus Operator Route Training guide that new operators are issued. It was issued from Forest Glen Garage, Dated 1955! Some of the routes in the book from back then were 92 Foster/NW Hwy, 85B Central Limited, 85 Central (Trolley bus) 55 Elston, 14 Devon/Cicero. The routes are referred as "Gas Bus" or "Trolley Bus". And of course most of the routes at FG remained the same to today.

The one surprising one is the 85B Central Limited. Apparently, like North Ave., they were running gas and trolley buses on the same route.

Also, the 55 Elston must have predated that number being assigned to East 55th, and Elston becoming 13. The 1954 map on chicago-l.org reflects Elston being 55, and maybe East 55th was then part of the 51 trolley bus

At that time, not sure if the reference to "gas" means gasoline or propane, but there certainly weren't diesel buses out there then.

The one surprising one is the 85B Central Limited. Apparently, like North Ave., they were running gas and trolley buses on the same route.

Also, the 55 Elston must have predated that number being assigned to East 55th, and Elston becoming 13. The 1954 map on chicago-l.org reflects Elston being 55, and maybe East 55th was then part of the 51 trolley bus

At that time, not sure if the reference to "gas" means gasoline or propane, but there certainly weren't diesel buses out there then.

As I look at it it says, 55 Elston "supplementary route" I took a close look at the dates usually printed at the bottom corners, the route diagrams revision dates are from 1955 to 1958. Im trying to load pics of this so I can show everyone here who might take interest in looking at this, a nice piece of past CTA history I think.

Elston was numbered 55 until 6/20/59 when renumbered 13 (it was rush hour only from 4/28/57). This was the same day that service on 55th St service was renumbered 55.

This is what I have for histories of the Garfield-55th and Elston routes.

55 Garfield-55th

CCRy

East of Cottage Grove: Horse Car 1869, Cable Car 11/22/1887, Streetcar 10/21/06, Bus 8/1/47, Trolleybus 6/20/48 to 6/20/59

West of Cottage Grove: Originally CMC Bus Route 6 Garfield, introduced 7/2/23

First service on 55th with route number 55 was a CTA bus route introduced 6/20/59, when trolleybuses were eliminated on the 51st route 51, and that route no longer ran through to 55th. Service on 55th east of Cottage Grove was originally a branch of the Cottage Grove route, from downtown. Cable cars came from downtown between 11/22/1887 and 10/21/06. From 8/12/18 became part of TR1 withdrawn on 55th from 10/7/46. During most of the period between 11/2/30 and 6/20/59, this segment of 55th was also served by route 51. An extension bus route 51A replaced the 55th St. streetcar service From 9/9/46 running from Wentworth to Lake Park via 51st, Cottage Grove and 55th, although certain Cottage Grove streetcars continued to operate on 55th St. until 8/1/47. Through service to 55th St. resumed From 5/30/48 as bus route 51, when streetcars were eliminated on 51st St. Trolleybuses operated over the route from 6/20/48 until 6/20/59. West of Cottage Grove and Washington Park, 55th St. was actually Garfield Blvd. Chicago Motor Coach route 6 originally provided service on Garfield from 7/2/23, operating from downtown via Michigan Ave. and west to Cicero. From 6/20/59, service on 55th St. east of Cottage Grove Ave. was replaced with new bus route 55, operating as far west as Morgan via Garfield Blvd. From 9/28/69 with opening of Dan Ryan rapid transit line, route 6 was discontinued and service on 55th consolidated with route 55 which was extended through to Cicero Ave.

(55 Elston)

CRys

Streetcar 1894, Bus 1/21/51, Renumbered 13 6/20/59, DISCONTINUED 9/9/73

North of Lawrence (55A): Trolleybus 7/1/30, Bus 1/21/51, Renumbered 41 4/28/57, DISCONTINUED 10/5/97

From 1894 to 1897 ran from Milwaukee to Montrose on Elston when it was extended west on Montrose to Knox and south on Milwaukee to downtown. From 11/28/14 the line was extended northwest on Elston to Lawrence and service on Montrose was abandoned. An extension trolleybus route 55A was established 7/1/30 to Elston/Milwaukee on far northwest side. From 10/7/49 the daytime service was cut back to Milwaukee with the downtown service reduced to RH only but the service downtown was restored 1/30/50 via Division, Crosby, Larrabee, Chicago and Wells. From 1/21/51, the streetcars and extension trolleybus route all became a through motor bus route, WE and eve ran from Holbrook to Milwaukee/Ashland. Depot shuttles are provided in the RH but were withdrawn from 2/2/53. From 4/28/57, service north of Belmont Ave. routed through with Clybourn route forming 41 Elston-Clybourn route. Remaining 55 service reduced to RH only from Pulaski to State via Elston, Division, Crosby, Larrabee and Chicago with daytime service running from Roscoe via California and Elston to ‘L’ station at Chicago/Milwaukee. Renumbered 13 Elston, 6/20/59 CTA assigned route number 55 to service on 55th St./Garfield Blvd. Daytime shuttle service w 7/30/61.

Carhouse: Elston (also trolleybuses), Bus Garage: North Park (1/21/51-12/4/55), Forest Glen (12/4/55-9/9/73)

• 3 weeks later...

Makes sense, actually. "Gas" buses were often used for the limited services as they were likely to bypass the local service under wire.

Also, there are times in scheduling where a limited will go to the terminal, and return as a local enroute to pulling in. In those cases, you would have a "gas" bus routinely working the trolleybus route.

"Gas Bus" - anything with an internal combustion engine. Octane or Propane. That includes Diesel.

• 1 month later...

Diesel Buses didn't come out until the 1960s

Diesel Buses didn't come out until the 1960s

That certainly is not true. If you look at Krambles's book, CMC converted most of their buses to diesel in the late 1930s. Most other transit companies had diesel buses starting after WWII. CTA was fairly unique in purchasing a mostly propane fleet. However, even the 500 and 600 series buses it got when it took over CMC were diesel.

Also, with reference to "gas buses," most of those acquired in Chicago in the 40s were gasoline, not propane. The only question would be whether 85B was heavy enough that it needed a propane 40 footer or an older gasoline 35 footer.

Anyway, the distinction I was trying to make was between gas and trolley--85 being a trolley bus route.