CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

With the 7000s being delivered has the blue line been sending more 2600s the brown line? I’ve been seeing a higher occurrence of 8 car 2600s trains on brown lately. 

Yes Kimball is sending 50 of their #3200’s to the Blue Line including 3457-3458 with 50 #2600’s to be transferred over to the Brown Line. I rode #2714 former Blue Line car from Fullerton to Clark/Lake. The only #3200’s that will stay is the ones with the roofboards due to Kimball Subway having a low ceiling. 

4 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Yes Kimball is sending 50 of their #3200’s to the Blue Line including 3457-3458 with 50 #2600’s to be transferred over to the Brown Line. I rode #2714 former Blue Line car from Fullerton to Clark/Lake. The only #3200’s that will stay is the ones with the roofboards due to Kimball Subway having a low ceiling. 

Will the Brown start getting 7000s anytime soon? It’s hard riding the 2600s again after years of well maintained 3200s

28 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

For now, Brown Line is the 2600’s retirement line orange is “rumored” to be next in line for 7000’s

It would make more sense to retire the 2600s on the orange line since that is 100% 2600s as brown will always have 16 3200s with the roof boards. Technically the orange line is a lighter line than brown even though it’s a longer distance. 

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

It would make more sense to retire the 2600s on the orange line since that is 100% 2600s as brown will always have 16 3200s with the roof boards. Technically the orange line is a lighter line than brown even though it’s a longer distance. 

I just remembered the 6000s were retried on Brown line (Ravenswood) I wasn’t born yet when that happened but I think CTA is repeating a past trend.

7 hours ago, Javi75 said:

#3447 is retired that leaves 15 active

26 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

How long do you think the brown line be stuck with 2600s before becoming fully equipped with the 7000 series? How long did the 5000s delivery take?

I figure possibly 200 of the new cars will be delivered by the e nd of 2023 and the Blue Line fully furnished with 7000s by the end of 2024.  Theoretically the Orange Line could be furnished with 7000s by mid 2025 and then the Brown Line could start receiving 7000s by mid 2025.

28 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

How long do you think the brown line be stuck with 2600s before becoming fully equipped with the 7000 series? How long did the 5000s delivery take?

I'm not making predictions about which line will be the last, but at the projected delivery rate (14 cars per month) it will take 4 years to deliver 656 cars. Also, ther is some speculation that 656 might not be enough.

Just now, artthouwill said:

I figure possibly 200 of the new cars will be delivered by the e nd of 2023 and the Blue Line fully furnished with 7000s by the end of 2024.  Theoretically the Orange Line could be furnished with 7000s by mid 2025 and then the Brown Line could start receiving 7000s by mid 2025.

From my intervening prediction, I don't think that quickly.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I'm not making predictions about which line will be the last, but at the projected delivery rate (14 cars per month) it will take 4 years to deliver 656 cars. Also, ther is some speculation that 656 might not be enough.

Finally some excitement with CTA equipment deliveries, 8350s and 7000s.

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don’t think we will have that many of them that fast maybe in two and a half years

37 minutes ago, Busjack said:

But you said 2024.

I said the Blue Line could be done by the end of 2024 and the Orange Line could be done by mid 2025.  I also said the Brown Line could start receiving the new cars in 2025

@Bus1883responded that we wouldn't have that many that fast but by mid 2025

Are you saying he meant the Blue Line wouldn't be finished until mid 2025?  The initial question posed was when would the Brown Line receive 7000s.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Are you saying he meant the Blue Line wouldn't be finished until mid 2025? 

Whatever he said, 2025 is what I at least implied above. It is going to take at least 320 cars to finish the Blue Line, and maybe as many as 400. Reread my math in my earlier post.

17 hours ago, Busjack said:

Whatever he said, 2025 is what I at least implied above. It is going to take at least 320 cars to finish the Blue Line, and maybe as many as 400. Reread my math in my earlier post.

I would think the blue line would get 400 7000s cars so if that happens, how many 7000s do the brown and orange lines need? I think CTAs going to order all 846 cars as the agency has always went with the max option for equipment. With the max order, would there be any cars left over beyond all the yard capacities among the three lines? 

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

I would think the blue line would get 400 7000s cars so if that happens, how many 7000s do the brown and orange lines need? I think CTAs going to order all 846 cars as the agency has always went with the max option for equipment. With the max order, would there be any cars left over beyond all the yard capacities among the three lines? 

According to the consultants, the Red Line extension would need 84 cars, have a yard, and be ready in 2029.

There was also some talk about 10-car trains on the Red Line.

Between Linden and 54th Yards, there is probably storage room for another 100 cars.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

According to the consultants, the Red Line extension would need 84 cars, have a yard, and be ready in 2029.

There was also some talk about 10-car trains on the Red Line.

Between Linden and 54th Yards, there is probably storage room for another 100 cars.

It’s going to be interesting to see if they want to keep red all 5000s or have a portion of 7000s added to its fleet for the extension. They could either move 5000s from pink and green and out 7000s on those lines. 

2 hours ago, Javi75 said:

It’s going to be interesting to see if they want to keep red all 5000s or have a portion of 7000s added to its fleet for the extension. They could either move 5000s from pink and green and out 7000s on those lines. 

I don’t think the green and pink will have 7000s. Mainly they will cover Blue, Brown, Orange and a a portion of the Red Line extension.

14 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

I don’t think the green and pink will have 7000s. Mainly they will cover Blue, Brown, Orange and a a portion of the Red Line extension.

Possibly.   The reason why Pink and Green were suggested is because recent history has shown that CTA doesn't want to have mixed fleets, especially if they aren't compatible.   CTA wouldn't be interested in having 7000s and 5000s on the same line.  If CTA exercises the last option of 7000s, that would be enough cars to entirely equip the Pink and Green Lines and move their 5000s to the Red Line.   Red,  Yellow,  and Purple would be 5000s and the rest of the system would be 7000s when the dust finally settles.

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Possibly.   The reason why Pink and Green were suggested is because recent history has shown that CTA doesn't want to have mixed fleets, especially if they aren't compatible.   CTA wouldn't be interested in having 7000s and 5000s on the same line.  If CTA exercises the last option of 7000s, that would be enough cars to entirely equip the Pink and Green Lines and move their 5000s to the Red Line.   Red,  Yellow,  and Purple would be 5000s and the rest of the system would be 7000s when the dust finally settles.

Sounds about right to me. The options for 190 cars for expansion is about the 200 on Pink and Green, and the two lines go together because 54th shop work is done at Lake. Of course, any approximation will depend on how many cars are retired without replacement, whether RPM will enable running more trains, and similar uncertainties over the next 6 years.