The CTA Bus Shuffle

sw4400

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, and I think that was a fill-in since I saw #6829 and #6836 (the buses that usually do #77 from about 2pm-4pm, around the time when I saw #6007) at Jefferson Park broken down sitting on the side at the West Terminal.
There are usually buses sitting in the West Terminal (along the sidewalk between the terminal and Milwaukee Avenue) waiting for their times. Unless the service truck was there or the engine doors were open, one can't assume that they were broken down.

You said you saw 6007 "this morning," but then say you saw the bus around 2pm to 4 pm. Does that mean you saw the bus twice?

I'll see what little info I can dig up, but there is about a 0.005% chance of a 103rd garage run actually being operated on Belmont (since the 173 doesn't run during the summers, doesn't run in the morning, and as a U of C route with a 30-minute headway, would be considered "off limits" for another supervisor to do something else with). The bus itself "could have" been sent to Forest Glen for the day, but that bus is assigned to 103rd, and Forest Glen buses have been moving south since three-track bus service was cut back last month.

So, even if I did see that 6007 was on Belmont, I wouldn't be able to provide an explanation for it.

For what it's worth, according to the Clever Devices bus history, here's what bus #6007 did on Thursday, June 21 (when the bus was reported as having been seen on Belmont):

It ran a morning rush hour trip on route 2, then pulled in. In the afternoon, it operated routes 123 and 26, then pulled in. It then went back out that evening as route 15.

The day before, the bus was on route 111. The day before that, it was on 95E and 26 in the morning, and 121 and 14 in the afternoon.

On June 21, the following Flxibles were on Belmont (I don't have specific times of when they were out there): 6057, 6035, 6157, 6178, 6102, 6024, 6059, 6126, 6046, 6049, 6140, 6023, 6025, 6176, 6166, 6163, 6168, 6037, 6116, 6160, 6154, 6026, 6165, 6112, 6038, 6036, 6118, 6136, and 6113. (Note that the numbers are out of order because they're listed based on the number of trips operated, so 6057 was out all day, and 6113 was probably just out there for a short tripper).

So, unless the buses are incorrectly programmed in the system (unlikely), then the bus you saw on Belmont had to be something other than 6007.

Well, something is going on because @ about 3am, I saw 6101 operating on the N5 route travelling down South Shore Dr, south of 81st street, going back to 95th CTA. Most of us on this site knows that bus is from the FG and that bus hasn't seen the south side since it was @77th when 6000-6114( approx ) ran those streets. But my "perspicion" (perspective + suspicion) tells me that something is going on around here. <_<

For what it's worth, according to the Clever Devices bus history, here's what bus #6007 did on Thursday, June 21 (when the bus was reported as having been seen on Belmont):

It ran a morning rush hour trip on route 2, then pulled in. In the afternoon, it operated routes 123 and 26, then pulled in. It then went back out that evening as route 15.

The day before, the bus was on route 111. The day before that, it was on 95E and 26 in the morning, and 121 and 14 in the afternoon.

On June 21, the following Flxibles were on Belmont (I don't have specific times of when they were out there): 6057, 6035, 6157, 6178, 6102, 6024, 6059, 6126, 6046, 6049, 6140, 6023, 6025, 6176, 6166, 6163, 6168, 6037, 6116, 6160, 6154, 6026, 6165, 6112, 6038, 6036, 6118, 6136, and 6113. (Note that the numbers are out of order because they're listed based on the number of trips operated, so 6057 was out all day, and 6113 was probably just out there for a short tripper).

So, unless the buses are incorrectly programmed in the system (unlikely), then the bus you saw on Belmont had to be something other than 6007.

Hmmm...I really don't think it was #6007 now, I might have misread the number. Might have been #6057 or #6107. I really don't remember, so i'm not sure if it was that. Just forget I even said anything about #6007 being there (again, I really don't remember so please don't assume i'm lying), i'll delete my posts regarding that.

Well, something is going on because @ about 3am, I saw 6101 operating on the N5 route travelling down South Shore Dr, south of 81st street, going back to 95th CTA. Most of us on this site knows that bus is from the FG and that bus hasn't seen the south side since it was @77th when 6000-6114( approx ) ran those streets. But my "perspicion" (perspective + suspicion) tells me that something is going on around here. <_<

The "something" that's going on around here, as I noted about four or five posts back, is "Forest Glen buses have been moving south since three-track bus service was cut back last month."

Some of Forest Glen's Flxibles went to 74th Garage a couple of weeks ago to replace some of their old, worn out and junked TMCs, and a few days ago, some went to 103rd to...well...replace some of their old, worn out and junked TMCs (and 5300s).

For what it's worth, according to the Clever Devices bus history

This is the first time it was indicated (at least here) that there was such detailed history available internally. Probably the same for Pace with the IBS. Bushawks will have to be more careful writing down fleet and run numbers.

Is the difference between this and Bustracker that this only indicates what was entered into the terminal, while Bustracker (when installed) would provide real time location information?

I was going to say that I know what fleet numbers are on Madison, even though I am not there, but Bustracker froze my computer. So much for being a smartie.

Is the difference between this and Bustracker that this only indicates what was entered into the terminal, while Bustracker (when installed) would provide real time location information?

Basically, yes. Clever Devices bus history takes whatever was logged into the system and it gets downloaded when the bus pulls into the garage at night. Bus Tracker allows the bus to broadcast its information in real time.

Of course, it all depends on the driver being logged on properly, which depends on the Clever Devices system working on that bus. If that isn't the case, then such information would not be available in that format.

The "something" that's going on around here, as I noted about four or five posts back, is "Forest Glen buses have been moving south since three-track bus service was cut back last month."

Some of Forest Glen's Flxibles went to 74th Garage a couple of weeks ago to replace some of their old, worn out and junked TMCs, and a few days ago, some went to 103rd to...well...replace some of their old, worn out and junked TMCs (and 5300s).

6101 was on the #119, 6102 Was on the #106 and 6106 Was also on the #106

• 1 month later...