CTA Procurement Process

NF#1994

Well, since you won't believe my word based on the articles I read, here's from the horses' mouth... the CTA

And the clip from linked article right here on this thread...

"Starting in spring 2013, the Chicago Transit Authority will begin a ground-breaking initiative to rebuild 60 percent of its bus fleet – the largest bus overhaul project the agency has ever undertaken. The $185 million project is akin to a “gut rehab,” creating almost-new buses while generating the equivalent of more than 200 good-paying jobs."

So let me ask you the same question you asked, and see if you can give an answer based on the info put in front of you here and in the link...

"The question is that, since I saw it on the road last week, whether it has already been rehabbed."

Do you think 1005 has been rehabbed now?

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for #1005 since its from 103rd to answer this for sure

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for #1005 since its from 103rd to answer this for sure

More than likely your ear, since someone plays "Name that tune" with bus engine sounds.

As indicated by the CTA, nothing has been rehabbed, and listening to the engine won't determine anything, as these buses are getting a rebuilt engine of the same kind, 1000-1629 will get a rebuilt Cummins ISM and 1630-2029 will get a rebuilt Cummins ISL with particulate filters(these engines probably don't have them, as indicated by the exhaust trails some put out). 1000-1929 will get rebuilt ZF Transmissions and 1930-2029 will get rebuilt Allison Transmissions. 1005 was out of service for documentation only, as the builders needed photos and video so they know inside and out how the buses look now so they can rebuild them from the frames quickly and correctly.

As indicated by the CTA, nothing has been rehabbed, and listening to the engine won't determine anything, as these buses are getting a rebuilt engine of the same kind, 1000-1629 will get a rebuilt Cummins ISM and 1630-2029 will get a rebuilt Cummins ISL with particulate filters(these engines probably don't have them, as indicated by the exhaust trails some put out). 1000-1929 will get rebuilt ZF Transmissions and 1930-2029 will get rebuilt Allison Transmissions. 1005 was out of service for documentation only, as the builders needed photos and video so they know inside and out how the buses look now so they can rebuild them from the frames quickly and correctly.

Do you have the specs? Or as I asked before, work in the shops?

If not, how do you know?

And have you given a credible explanation why 1005, a "prototype," was excluded from the contract? No.

Do you have the specs? Or as I asked before, work in the shops?

If not, how do you know?

CTA... again from their press release...

Each will receive rebuilt engines, transmissions,

Let me simplify... if you got a 1995 Ford F-350 with a 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel engine, 6-Speed AOD Transmission and 294,000 miles on it and take it in to have the engine and transmission rebuilt. The garage is going to give you a rebuilt 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel engine, 6-Speed AOD Transmission. They aren't going to put in a rebuilt 5.9L Cummins Diesel engine with a 5-Speed Automatic Transmission.

CTA... again from their press release...

Each will receive rebuilt engines, transmissions,

Let me simplify... if you got a 1995 Ford F-350 with a 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel engine, 6-Speed AOD Transmission and 294,000 miles on it and take it in to have the engine and transmission rebuilt. The garage is going to give you a rebuilt 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel engine, 6-Speed AOD Transmission. They aren't going to put in a rebuilt 5.9L Cummins Diesel engine with a 5-Speed Automatic Transmission.

The rest of us can read, too.

The Press Release doesn't say your conclusion.

And, BTW, while I didn't download the CTA Specs, I did download the Pace ones, and they say "or equivalent (specify)."

So, quote the specs, not your interpretation of a Press Release.

1005 needs to be repaired because it looks very beat up in the back. I saw it the other day in hyde park working on the 15 and it had a lot of dents on it.

Which would answer the has it been rebuilt question for those of us who live outside the Loop or otherwise far outside the bounds of where you would spot a 103rd garage bus. The question just remains whether someone is using an incorrect definition of the word prototype. If sw is correct in his interpretation of the press releases then "prototype" is not the correct or accurate term for how 1005 would be used. "Static design model" would seem more appropriate in that case.

• 1 month later...

Well I know in the past they were talking of retrofitting the first buses with the Freedman seats, so that becomes a possibility. As far as newer headlights on the 1000's after rehab, I wouldn't rule it out although I don't have high probability of that as I think doing so would turn the D40LF's into D40LFR's. But sense it is a gut rehab, I would say it is possible, but not highly likely that the 1000's will return as D40LFR's.

The ones retrofitted in the 1300s were American Seating.

Freedman is apparently now part of the joint venture comprising 4One. So, if CTA gets anything from them, it probably will be the Aries.

I still haven't figured out what was on that 1600 on 60.