railfan4072

7000-series - Procurement

545 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

But what's more exciting than seeing a low boy with a brand new railcar rolling down the streets of Chicago? Nothing much, especially if you participate in this forum.

Maybe testing at the factory especially if you can sneak a peek on the progress. But they might have to be careful their new cars don't get vandalized before they even go to cta. Looks rural out at 136th/Torrence. They might need full time security or some type of indoor storage. I would only trust the cars outside in the daylight while testing 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe testing at the factory especially if you can sneak a peek on the progress. But they might have to be careful their new cars don't get vandalized before they even go to cta. Looks rural out at 136th/Torrence. They might need full time security or some type of indoor storage. I would only trust the cars outside in the daylight while testing 

Somehow the Ford plant has been able to ship from there for the past 93 years. I guess you won't buy a Taurus.

29 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Somehow the Ford plant has been able to ship from there for the past 93 years. I guess you won't buy a Taurus.

Ford has it own security most likely and big companies might even have a guard at the parking lot entrance. It would help if the rail manufacturing was a 24 hours operation. If so there should be plenty of eyes out to see if anythings up 

Just now, BusHunter said:

Ford has it own security most likely and big companies might even have a guard at the parking lot entrance. It would help if the rail manufacturing was a 24 hours operation. If so there should be plenty of eyes out to see if anything up 

This is a manufacturing plant, so I'm too sure that security will be available to greet individuals that attempt to make that unauthorized move.

One a brighter note, here are more views of the revised rendering of the 7000-series

71 (1).jpg

71 (4).jpg

24 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

One a brighter note, here are more views of the revised rendering of the 7000-series

Look a little more like it. While a blue interior, it has the seats with the lumbar supports and clearly shows the center compartment arrangement.

10 hours ago, Juniorz said:

71 (1).jpg

71 (4).jpg

The artist/photograher should spend some time with engineering/mechanical resources. CTA railcars have their trucks closer to the car ends, not beneath the quarter-point side doors. Also, ladders beneath the side doors should be within the side envelope measurement, not extended as pictured here. Any person familiar with transit equipment would notice this. A photo showing 5000 series railcar is included for reference.

There has been speculation about outside color....blue for instance.  Remember, there were two prototypical 5000 series cars that had outside color....blue. CTA management did not approve outside blue coloring and it was left off the 714 railcar order. Will there be a change in the management's thinking a decade later? We'll have to see.  A picture of the prototype cars is #5009-5010  included. 

Another speculation item is about rail delivery. The Torrence Ave. site does have rail service...Norfolk Southern RR. The CTA Skokie Shops does not have rail service. New railcars have to be prepped by Skokie Shops before new cars can be run on CTA rails.  We learned that when truck delivery of the last 5000 series occurred at 63rd St. lower yard. Even prepped, the railcars needed further shopping and rail testing before they were qualified for revenue service. Low-boy highway trailer delivery would take 5 hours from Torrence to Skokie including loading and unloading.  Railroad delivery would take days, if not a week, even if Skokie Shops could get rail service reinstated. No line shops like Midway, 98th St., Forest Park can do prepping. If they could, what would be the need for Skokie? Do the math. Do the finance.  Have a good day.    

DH 

P1130034.JPG

MSIACStateLake.JPG

1 hour ago, Juniorz said:

71 (4).jpg

On closer look, it also looks like there are ceiling handholds for prehensile apes.

9 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

The artist/photograher should spend some time with engineering/mechanical resources. CTA railcars have their trucks closer to the car ends, not beneath the quarter-point side doors. Also, ladders beneath the side doors should be within the side envelope measurement, not extended as pictured here. Any person familiar with transit equipment would notice this. A photo showing 5000 series railcar is included for reference.

There has been speculation about outside color....blue for instance.  Remember, there were two prototypical 5000 series cars that had outside color....blue. CTA management did not approve outside blue coloring and it was left off the 714 railcar order. Will there be a change in the management's thinking a decade later? We'll have to see.  A picture of the prototype cars is #5009-5010  included. 

Another speculation item is about rail delivery. The Torrence Ave. site does have rail service...Norfolk Southern RR. The CTA Skokie Shops does not have rail service. New railcars have to be prepped by Skokie Shops before new cars can be run on CTA rails.  We learned that when truck delivery of the last 5000 series occurred at 63rd St. lower yard. Even prepped, the railcars needed further shopping and rail testing before they were qualified for revenue service. Low-boy highway trailer delivery would take hours  from Torrence to Skokie.  Railroad delivery would take days, even if Skokie Shops could get rail service reinstated. No line shops like Midway, 98th St., Forest Park can do prepping. If they could, what would be the need for Skokie? Do the math. Do the finance.  Have a good day.    

DH 

Best bet is to utilize Norfolk Southern to deliver the cars to a location where they can be trucked to a CTA rail yard. Gives NS and a trucking firm jobs with the CTA.

16 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Best bet is to utilize Norfolk Southern to deliver the cars to a location where they can be trucked to a CTA rail yard. Gives NS and a trucking firm jobs with the CTA.

Trucking companies get trucking jobs.

If we believe all the stuff about rail yard congestion in Chicago, it is easy enough to get a truck onto I-94 at 130th St. and off at Touhy. Eliminates at least one transfer. CTA cars were never directly delivered on the rails, so someone would have to load and unload them from a flatcar. Then they would have to load them onto a flat trailer. Also, this assumes some intermodal facility near Skokie, of which I am not aware. UP and CP yards are all in the western suburbs, and freight trains are diverted at Techny to get there.

I really don't see why cta couldn't do it themselves, they have a low boy trailer. Why contract out for a trip of less than 3 hrs loading and unloading. 

As far as deliveries I heard that #6000 deliveries were done by rail on the railroad once existing outside skokie shops. Maybe they had a spur or something. Also heard they were delivered to 63rd lower in the days before skokie. They certainly were not delivering wood cars by truck as it didn't exist. I thought I did hear some of the #2600 series was delivered by union Pacific. 

2 hours ago, Juniorz said:

This is a manufacturing plant, so I'm too sure that security will be available to greet individuals that attempt to make that unauthorized move.

71 (1).jpg

71 (4).jpg

I'm starting to like how they look but if they take the blue ends off you basically have a 5000. Unfortunately that's probably what will happen. I wonder how the mta keeps it's car ends clean?

25 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

As far as deliveries I heard that #6000 deliveries were done by rail on the railroad once existing outside skokie shops. Maybe they had a spur or something. Also heard they were delivered to 63rd lower in the days before skokie. They certainly were not delivering wood cars by truck as it didn't exist. I thought I did hear some of the #2600 series was delivered by union Pacific. 

There a pictures in the CERA 115 (pages 30-31) that they came in on flatcars on the Chicago and North Shore after an interchange in North Chicago, and there was an unloading ramp at Skokie where there would be a work motor hauling the car down. Obviously, there is no longer a North Shore railroad, nor whatever was the C&NW spur that ran from the Mayfair area through Skokie and Evanston.

The lower yard at that time undoubtedly had  a connection to the adjoining NYC or PRR tracks, again there a pictures in the books of electric locomotives using it.

25 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I'm starting to like how they look but if they take the blue ends off you basically have a 5000. Unfortunately that's probably what will happen. I wonder how the mta keeps it's car ends clean?

CTA has had composite car ends since the 2000s. The 2400s were gelcoated gray, but presumably to match the 2600s, not because the red white and blue got tagged.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

On closer look, it also looks like there are ceiling handholds for prehensile apes.

Also, what's up with the skyline panorama on the ceiling? Seems a bit futile to me. 

33 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Also, what's up with the skyline panorama on the ceiling? Seems a bit futile to me. 

If you mean behind the monkey bars, I think that is the representation of the flat screen display system, the substitute for the punched mylar sign with red LEDs behind it in the 5000s. Note that that the 5000s style map isn't continued over the destination sign box on the side window.

9 hours ago, Juniorz said:

71 (1).jpg

71 (4).jpg

These cars are so boring. It's a slightly nicer 5000 which was a slightly nicer 3200 which was a slightly nicer 2600, etc. I wish government agencies weren't so stuck in their ways and could innovate. 

The one feature I wish they had was passenger operated door opening buttons like you see in Europe. It would be nice to not sit at a station in the winter with the doors open for 5 minutes. 

1 hour ago, joechicago said:

These cars are so boring. It's a slightly nicer 5000 which was a slightly nicer 3200 which was a slightly nicer 2600, etc. I wish government agencies weren't so stuck in their ways and could innovate. 

The one feature I wish they had was passenger operated door opening buttons like you see in Europe. It would be nice to not sit at a station in the winter with the doors open for 5 minutes. 

Yeah I see your point, but CTA most likely is requesting something with interchangeable parts that are similar to keep down with the repair costs. They should at least get the new blue tint headlights, I believe most vehicles built now have this. Even saw an 18 wheeler cab with one this morning. Yes I wish they were different also maybe some snazzier skinny type headlights that wrap around the front but CTA with it's 40 foot car design doesn't leave much in the way of choices as you are locked into that design. Maybe an articulated train would be nice, but then again they had problems with the #5000's of the 40's. They were hard to repair and had to be disconnected to do so, so CTA is probably too scared to go back there. You are also locked into this corrugated silver sides design thanks to the vandals which vandalize anything painted. So basically that doesn't leave you much choice. Unfortunately this will probably be the last cars most of us will see here, if the cars last 40 years, I'll be 81 and Busjack will be about 100!! xD

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Probably mixing fleets is a nightmare scenario. If one car set failed and needed to be pushed by the follower which had another set they can't be linked together. This could also happen on the loop L that would make one wonder how these fleets will work out. 

As they said at the time they yanked the first 7000s spec, they lived with it for 4  years on the Red Line. Also the second spec provided that if Tomlinson couplers were proposed, an adapter would have to be provided for each car for that contingency. Nobody has said whether CTA accepted any alternatives in the solicitation.

I indicated that I didn't think 7000s on the Red Line were likely, but it isn't like CTA didn't foresee the situation.

What I don't get is the need for a 600-700 plus car capacity yards on the red when they only use 400 now and are projected to use 484. So why have a 200  car spare ratio? You know they almost would have room for a skokie shops south.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

What I don't get is the need for a 600-700 plus car capacity yards on the red when they only use 400 now and are projected to use 484. So why have a 200  car spare ratio? You know they almost would have room for a skokie shops south.

Are you also adding in that Howard also has most of Purple (and 6 Yellow)?

It the L Rosters page is correct, Green and Pink have a total of 214 cars, which means that there are already 500 cars assigned to Red-Purple-Yellow. I don't know when CTA made its projections whether it figured it had or needs to get cars for the extension and any increase in trains it promised for when the Clark Jct. flyover is completed, but considering that the fleet has already gone up from 1190 (before the 5000s started arriving) to 1470 something, CTA has to store them somewhere, even if it isn't using them.