Unusual Workings

busfan2847

That occurs when a garage is short on operable 40-footers because some of them are withheld for maintenance reasons or are used as shuttle buses for the Wells Street bridge reconstruction project. In this case, Kedzie Garage borrowed a 6800 from 77th Garage to cover the run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Another sight of unusual workings:

This Halloween morning, the #21 Cermak (which has been operated entirely with 40-footers until now) is operated entirely with artics (both 4000- and 4300-series). Normally, the Kedzie artics are used on the #125, #134 and #156 on weekdays and short-turn runs between downtown and Belmont on the #151 daily, and also see occasional use on the #7, #12 (which is entirely artic-operated on weekends), #35, #52, #82 and #126, plus some of the AM rush trips on the #66 and PM rush trips on the #62 and #143. But their sighting on the #21 is very unusual.

Another sight of unusual workings:

This Halloween morning, the #21 Cermak (which has been operated entirely with 40-footers until now) is operated entirely with artics (both 4000- and 4300-series). Normally, the Kedzie artics are used on the #125, #134 and #156 on weekdays and short-turn runs between downtown and Belmont on the #151 daily, and also see occasional use on the #7, #12 (which is entirely artic-operated on weekends), #35, #52, #82 and #126, plus some of the AM rush trips on the #66 and PM rush trips on the #62 and #143. But their sighting on the #21 is very unusual.

Very unusual indeed. Especially to be entirely artic run. Perhaps something is occurring at the North Riverside Mall or somewhere along the route for Halloween that they're anticipating a larger ridership than usual on the route. It looks like a few less trips than usual from Kedzie on the 125, 134, 151 and 156 are artic operated in part because of it.

Very unusual indeed. Especially to be entirely artic run. Perhaps something is occurring at the North Riverside Mall or somewhere along the route for Halloween that they're anticipating a larger ridership than usual on the route. It looks like a few less trips than usual from Kedzie on the 125, 134, 151 and 156 are artic operated in part because of it.

I really doubt that. That would be the tail wagging the dog (some suburban location dictating equipment allocation on a cross-city route). Especially this early in the morning.

There are traffic reports that 26th St. is messed up due to viaduct flooding, so maybe CTA thinks that passengers will take the alternate route.

I really doubt that. That would be the tail wagging the dog (some suburban location dictating equipment allocation on a cross-city route). Especially this early in the morning.

There are traffic reports that 26th St. is messed up due to viaduct flooding, so maybe CTA thinks that passengers will take the alternate route.

Yes a cross-city route in a system that's not totally city-only (even if it's execs act like it's part of city government) and that still sees a large chunk of its ridership come from that suburban location not that I was saying the mall alone was a possibility since I did say "or somewhere along the route". At any rate casting that aside, the viaduct issue at the 26th/Blue Island/Western intersection alone wouldn't explain it completely explain it either as Bustracker didn't seem to show 26th Street buses too off schedule and you'd intuitively think they'd also place some artics on the 60 today to also cover heavier than usual crowds caused by any anticipated delays from flooding.

We're only talking about today, not long term sir.

We don't know what we are talking about until tomorrow. The only point I was making is that ridership doesn't justify it, unless it also justifies it on routes like 50 (similar ridership) or maybe 75% of day long routes before 21.

Yeah the malls get extremely crowded with trick or treaters, with the gloomy rain they must be anticipating high ridership. Seems like more go to malls for this now than someone's home. Now if this happens tomorrow we have something to talk about.

Yeah the malls get extremely crowded with trick or treaters, with the gloomy rain they must be anticipating high ridership. Seems like more go to malls for this now than someone's home. Now if this happens tomorrow we have something to talk about.

Was the mall even open at 6 a.m (time stamp of the first post)? Shouldn't trick or treaters be in school until 2:45 p.m.?

Was the mall even open at 6 a.m (time stamp of the first post)? Shouldn't trick or treaters be in school until 2:45 p.m.?

Not the pre schoolers some of which don't attend school yet. The #60's are rerouting from the flood. If CTA was worried about high ridership from that, the first place everyone would flock to is the Pink line. That basically mimics the #60 and goes in the same general direction.

Why so fixated on the mall when the mall wasn't the sole detail of discussion earlier? :lol: But it's moot anyway since we have the answer,

Why so fixated on the mall when the mall wasn't the sole detail of discussion earlier? :lol: But it's moot anyway since we have the answer,

Ask the other people.

Not sure of how the weather is back in Chicago since I am out of town, but looks like the 21 is still fully artic this morning.

And so, jajuan, apparently we don't.

The weather is cloudy with sprinkles. I don't know if there is any after effect after Tom Skilling said 3.77 inches of rain over the prior two days.

post-14-0-84078800-1383313866_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-87355700-1383313902_thumb.png

So the viaduct is still flooded, a day later? This is starting to look like an experiment to me. I notice the #3 is about half artic today. It just looks like they are attempting to find new places to put artics. The #21 just appears lucky that it's assigned to an artic garage.

So the viaduct is still flooded, a day later? This is starting to look like an experiment to me. I notice the #3 is about half artic today. It just looks like they are attempting to find new places to put artics. The #21 just appears lucky that it's assigned to an artic garage.

Your final sentence may sum it up (especially since others pooh poohed the flooded viaduct theory).

Although the Ridership Report certainly isn't decisive (not sure about peak loading points and the like), it sure indicates that routes such as 3, 4, 8, 9, 22, 49 and 66 would merit it, certainly over 21.

Like you said, it looks like 3 is about half artics. There are a few on 4 and 8 (but this is lunch time).

If that's the only rationale, it is an inefficient one. Either the garage assignments should be changed that K gets 8 and 66, or the buses should be reallocated, to possibly even more at 77.

If it's an experiment, I'd have to agree with Busjack on the merits of 21 being all artic. I can see possibly having more artics on the route mixed with 40 footers for rush hour, but with memories of the 40 footers on that route not even getting to half empty for most of the eastern half during the midday I can't see this route being all artic all day in the day time hours especially when none are used on the 60 which is a much busier route. And speaking of the busier routes, I'm kind of surprised that there were no reports of NP going back to putting a few extra artics on its share of the #49 runs on weekdays targeted toward PM rush trips.

If that's the only rationale, it is an inefficient one. Either the garage assignments should be changed that K gets 8 and 66, or the buses should be reallocated, to possibly even more at 77.

Those artics would definately serve a better purpose being used on the 87 at 77th garage than running empty on Cermak. I'm a bit surprised that the 2 got them before 87th