N151 Sheridan Night Owl Service to be Eliminated

To my surprise, I noticed a poster notice at one of the stops by Wrigley Building about the owl service being eliminated from 151 Sheridan. I didn't get the effective date clear.

It will be effective starting March 31st which is the start of spring pick. I still don't understand why no customer alerts have been put online publicizing the cut, which is big.

ChicagoNova, on 20 Mar 2013 - 19:25, said:

That part was also mentioned. Reason was the ridership demands. In other words the ridership was probably too low.

That's garbage because the lowest owl ridership routes are #N20 Madison west of Austin, N60 Blue Island/26th, and N62 Archer weedays. Its better to have the Green Line lake branch only do the owl service and have N20 run east of Austin locally. N151 does really well on weekends but its not as low as other owl routes.

That's garbage because the lowest owl ridership routes are #N20 Madison west of Austin, N60 Blue Island/26th, and N62 Archer weedays. Its better to have the Green Line lake branch only do the owl service and have N20 run east of Austin locally. N151 does really well on weekends but its not as low as other owl routes.

Since the Green Line does not run owl, CTA would have to add customer service assistants at all of the stations, which it won't do.

As indicated by the N201 once being a replacement for the Purple Line shuttle, then not at all, apparently Evanston Hospital didn't provide enough ridership (as some of the drivers posted here).

The extensions of N20 and N60 were because the Green and Pink lines don't run owl. If there isn't any reason to serve Austin, Oak Park, or Cicero, the logical conclusion would be to cut those routes back, sort of like what was done to N77.

On the other hand, the Red Line does run owl; the only question is whether any lakefront resident who would have taken N151 will walk the half mile, or will hail a cab (and probably they already are doing the latter).

Wow...why was it so "G14 Classified?" Is there any other surprises coming up in this pick??

Apparently no secret, as ChicagoNova saw a notice at a bus stop.

What may be the surprise is that no one leaked the results of the next pick here, like they usually do.

Also, as best as I can tell, it isn't on the Bus Alerts page, but at the top it says to pull down the particular route, and an alert is on the 151 route description page.

So, I suppose, take the time to examine each route page (or RSS).

As the elimination of owl service constitutes a service cut, where and when was the required by law hearing?

Good question, which got me to 49 USC 5307, which however says "a locally developed process to solicit and consider public comment before raising a fare or carrying out a major reduction of transportation." So, I guess cutting out 3 hours of OWL operation isn't considered major enough.

I guess sort of similar to cutting out the last run on Pace 626, also without a hearing.

Look under cta Bus Alerts...hit Upcoming tab and it will give you info on 33, 48, 52, 54A, 68, 85A, 88, X98, N151 &169.

Thanks. The "Upcoming" tab was so light blue that I missed it.

I'll comment on X98 and 169 in the Crowd Reduction Plan forum.

Continue to cut and subliminally raise fares. A real good reason to use public transit. There was probably some type of notice of this in super fine print on the second to the last page of the Red Eye. :wacko:

If times are tight, it doesn't make sense to run empty buses, but, as the discussion here indicates, CTA sure didn't give much notice of the changes, and sure didn't prominently feature then on its website, which is now becoming par for the course.

Now I understand why there going to Fg with the #X98. It's running out of Jeff Pk now instead of Irving Pk. You got to love how there sneaking in a few service cuts to #54A, #85A and #88 each is getting service cut by up to a hour and a half. The #54A seems to get hurt the worst with no replacement service. Too bad it's not an April Fool's joke!! :P

54A isn't as much of an issue. If you are coming or going to the Skokie Courthouse, you can take 205 or 422 and connect to something else at Old Orchard.

As for the rest of that route, it essentially depends on how many people are going from about Irving Park and Devon to Old Orchard. Even though there was a number on Saturday, Pace cut 254.

Of course, it makes a joke of that CTA was seeking a JARC to run 54A mid day.

I'm sitting on a 147 going into downtown as we speak and I noticed the alert in that info space behind the operator. I'm surprised by this move too and how sneaky CTA was about it as well. They wait just over week before the change and then drop the bomb on customers. Priceless CTA move as usual.

• Upvote 1

It's weird what they want to do with the #52. (nb turns on belmont eb to campbell nb to melrose wb to rockwell nb to addison wb to california south over the regular route. (I initially thought they sold the turnaround at roscoe, they don't sound like their using that anymore) I wonder if their going to have issues with Lane Tech. Rockwell/Addison is a stones throw from there. They might find themselves adding school runs to the #52 soon. Might be a little confusing also with the #154's, especially if the terminal's in the same spot.

It's weird what they want to do with the #52. (nb turns on belmont eb to campbell nb to melrose wb to rockwell nb to addison wb to california south over the regular route. (I initially thought they sold the turnaround at roscoe, they don't sound like their using that anymore) I wonder if their going to have issues with Lane Tech. Rockwell/Addison is a stones throw from there. They might find themselves adding school runs to the #52 soon. Might be a little confusing also with the #154's, especially if the terminal's in the same spot.

The notice says:

"Why is service being changed?

The routing is being changed due to the discontinued availability of the off-street turnaround lot at California/Roscoe, and to improve connections to the #152 Addison."

Not living near Potti Blago,* I can't comment further.

___

*See, I threw that one in for you, sw.

Another reason we won't see artics operating the X98 anymore is they're chopping the route down to only one southbound trip per weekday scheduled at 10:05pm with no northbound service whatsoever. As for the 52, how is it that CTA is continuing to lose the use its off street bus turnarounds?

Another reason we won't see artics operating the X98 anymore is they're chopping the route down to only one southbound trip per weekday scheduled at 10:05pm with no northbound service whatsoever. As for the 52, how is it that CTA is continuing to lose the use its off street bus turnarounds?

I got the feeling that it is like the situation at Roosevelt-Monitor, which turned out that after approximately 60 years of having a turnaround there (going back to the trolley bus), CTA didn't own the property and the owner kicked them out. Referring to a "turnaround lot" rather than a "turnaround" reinforces that.

As I said before, I don't live near Potti Mouth, but Google Maps indicates that what appears to be the bus loop intrudes into a parking lot.

Sounds kind of crazy, logically you would think that if one rides up there on #x98 they will then ride back. Sounds as if their looking for a excuse to cut this service.

Sounds kind of crazy, logically you would think that if one rides up there on #x98 they will then ride back. Sounds as if their looking for a excuse to cut this service.

Look back at my analysis in the proper thread, They aren't riding northbound on X98.

From the alert:

Northbound service to Avon is being discontinued. There will be one southbound trip per day, leaving Avon at 10:40pm.