Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

Today I was online checking my Ventra account this afternoon and I got this on my 3 rides I Took this morning saying Pending Trip Pricing. and secondly the machine did not work when I tried to refilled my money to my Ventra Card today and this my first time happening.

Seems now I can't get into my ventra account even though I wrote the name and password down. Now I'm going to have to trace down the startup date because I don't know when the pass expires offhand. Tonight I was noticing riders being waived past a ventra on the #54. The ventra seemed to go into a reboot mode and about a mile later it was back on. It gave the double stop tone. Don't know if it was read ing a card all that long or not. CTA seems to be not only losing rail fare but bus fares too

Seems now I can't get into my ventra account even though I wrote the name and password down. Now I'm going to have to trace down the startup date because I don't know when the pass expires offhand. Tonight I was noticing riders being waived past a ventra on the #54. The ventra seemed to go into a reboot mode and about a mile later it was back on. It gave the double stop tone. Don't know if it was read ing a card all that long or not. CTA seems to be not only losing rail fare but bus fares too

A fun video for you to enjoy:

http://instagram.com/p/gwb-fUi58L/#

That's just plain disgusting. Not liking the new system is one thing, but spewing your germ riddled fluids on property used by the rest of the public is crossing the line.

I really doubt that the machine is that sanitary to begin with.

I'm sure the last thing last night's subject on the CTA Tattler was worried about was picking up some germs.

Anybody seen a double credit to their ventra account for auto-reload? I had two on the same day, within 30 minutes of each other. Sadly, it wasn't a freebie, as my credit card also was double charged. All is fine on my account, i.e. my balance was correctly credited.

Since the description shows it as a back office credit, I am wondering if the auto-reload is a manual process, done by a person, and may be error-prone.....

• Upvote 1

Anybody seen a double credit to their ventra account for auto-reload? I had two on the same day, within 30 minutes of each other. Sadly, it wasn't a freebie, as my credit card also was double charged. All is fine on my account, i.e. my balance was correctly credited.

Since the description shows it as a back office credit, I am wondering if the auto-reload is a manual process, done by a person, and may be error-prone.....

If you order a pass manually it still shoes as back office. In October, auto reload did not happen for my pass. In November, it worked just fine.

• Upvote 1

I thought Hilkevitch was going to bring up the old Transit Benefits problems, but he has 3 new ones:

• Someone got charged for 2 passes at once, one on her paycheck and another on a credit card. Not sure of the mechanics of that.
  • There is some hidden fee on benefits administrators in the Transit Benefits contract, but Todd Stroger friend Steve Mayberry tries to talk around it.
  • Probably worse of all: For some unfathomable reason, CTA set up a transit benefit plan in competition with the RTA's. Why don't the incompetent fools at CTA set up a competing senior ride program, too?

I really doubt that the machine is that sanitary to begin with.

I'm sure the last thing last night's subject on the CTA Tattler was worried about was picking up some germs.

Granted, but that still does not negate it being disgusting and over the line. Those things are already germified enough just from the multiple numbers of hands touching it throughout the day without having some moron's spittle added to the mix. And what does the troubled "goddess" have to do with anything outside of being another mentally troubled soul making a spectacle of herself on a CTA vehicle?

...And what does the troubled "goddess" have to do with anything outside of being another mentally troubled soul making a spectacle of herself on a CTA vehicle?

She might have left or picked up an infection. So for the people in the Hobo's Corner, or the people who otherwise force the CTA to engage in "deep clean" occasionally.

I guess that anything associated with Ventra now needs to be sterilized, as well as fixed.

This is why I stress to everyone... reload manually!!! Jewel, Dominick's(what remains)... heck I'm sure places like Mariano's and even Wal-Mart are getting Ventra reloading equipment in their stores(if not now, very soon...). Leave auto-reload off and do it at a retailer outlet.

Anyone still disagree??? heyyou82 has proof as to why you should... and this was yesterday, so very recently.

As far as boarding buses, using Ventra at rail stations.... pull your card and hold it for three seconds at the reader. Don't hold your wallet/purse up there to read directly from there. If any Credit/Debit Cards in there are contactless, the Ventra reader might be picking up them instead of the Ventra Card. I won't feel remorse for you if you continue this practice. CTA and Ventra won't be to blame for your negligence in this instance... it's all on you for this one.

This is why I stress to everyone... reload manually!!! Jewel, Dominick's(what remains)... heck I'm sure places like Mariano's and even Wal-Mart are getting Ventra reloading equipment in their stores(if not now, very soon...). Leave auto-reload off and do it at a retailer outlet.

There is the "Find a Ventra retailer" at the bottom of the Ventra home page. Mostly CVS and some currency exchanges. Occasional Jewel and mom & pop stores, but not of the other types mentioned above.

And, as I mentioned earlier, much fewer stores once you get into the suburbs.

There is the "Find a Ventra retailer" at the bottom of the Ventra home page. Mostly CVS and some currency exchanges. Occasional Jewel and mom & pop stores, but not of the other types mentioned above.

And, as I mentioned earlier, much fewer stores once you get into the suburbs.

Wal-Mart's are all over the IL suburbs, Busjack. And they just want to do everything and put everyone out of business. I'm sure they will put a bid, contract, whatever they need to do to get Ventra machines in their stores so people using public transit can buy everything at their store and reload their Ventra cards at their Customer Service Centers so they can take all their purchases home on PACE and/or CTA.

BTW: The "Find a Ventra retailer" is not complete... all Jewel stores have Ventra readers, and the one I'm at plus several others aren't even on the search.

Get on board as a Ventra Retailer

Earn additional revenue by becoming an Official Ventra Retail Location. The Ventra Card not only opens doors on trains and buses, it also opens a new way to pay that will bring customers through your doors. The Ventra Card includes a Money Network® MasterCard® Prepaid Debit Account that allows customers to make everyday purchases at your location.

Why Ventra

• Earn 1.5% on every Ventra Card sale(Wal-Mart can get in on this)
  • Drive store foot traffic and sales(Wal-Mart would love this)
  • Free Ventra marketing and training materials
  • Support from a widespread Ventra advertising campaign
  • More than 11 million CTA transit passes were sold at retail

locations in 2011

• FREE Ventra terminal when you sign up today

Wal-Mart's are all over the IL suburbs, Busjack. And they just want to do everything and put everyone out of business. I'm sure they will put a bid, contract, whatever they need to do to get Ventra machines in their stores so people using public transit can buy everything at their store and reload their Ventra cards at their Customer Service Centers so they can take all their purchases home on PACE and/or CTA.

No, Walmart only does what makes business sense to them.* Quoting propaganda from the Ventra website doesn't mean anything to the people from Benton Ark., unless they can make their profit margin at it.

As far as taking their purchases on Pace, the Niles Free Bus stops at the 2 Walmarts in Niles. The last I heard (from someone who lives there) you don't need to have a Ventra card to ride the Niles Free Bus. Apparently she would have to go to the CVS at Greenwood and Milwaukee to get one.

_______

*Like pulling their application with the Planning Commission in Northbrook, because "they couldn't make money with a smaller store."

She might have left or picked up an infection. So for the people in the Hobo's Corner, or the people who otherwise force the CTA to engage in "deep clean" occasionally.

I guess that anything associated with Ventra now needs to be sterilized, as well as fixed.

You think you can stop quoting my comments out of context?

Anyone still disagree??? heyyou82 has proof as to why you should... and this was yesterday, so very recently.

As far as boarding buses, using Ventra at rail stations.... pull your card and hold it for three seconds at the reader. Don't hold your wallet/purse up there to read directly from there. If any Credit/Debit Cards in there are contactless, the Ventra reader might be picking up them instead of the Ventra Card. I won't feel remorse for you if you continue this practice. CTA and Ventra won't be to blame for your negligence in this instance... it's all on you for this one.

Ummm you can manually reload without going to a retailer or rail station. You can do so from the comfort of your own home on your home computer or workplace provided you have an internet capable smart phone.

Ummm you can manually reload without going to a retailer or rail station. You can do so from the comfort of your own home on your home computer or workplace provided you have an internet capable smart phone.

According to Cheryl on the CTA Tatter, that doesn't work either.

Tribune reports that the RTA is going to probe into Ventra. I guess we should all be shaking in our boots now. :P

Maybe the more obvious question should be why RTA went along with it up to now, including saying "sure we will issue senior Ventra cards" instead of having some oversight before this. Of course, it is because the RTA has no power.

I have to say this. I have thought this was bad from the start. But I think it is real comical that when this was perceived to be the savior of the world, Metra wanted nothing to do with it (one of the few things Clifford did right by dragging his feet). Now that the thing, for the time being, is a colossal bust, Metra is all for it. Seems about right.

• Upvote 1

Since I still don't have my Ventra card they claimed to have mailed to me, I was thrilled that my good old reliable Chicago Card Plus auto-loaded yesterday! When I called Ventra about my card, they said it was mailed and they don't want to risk mailing another and have it lost too. Since my account says "Cancelled" for the status 2.5 hours after the order was put in for the Ventra card, I'm pretty certain it was never mailed. They want me instead to go purchase a Ventra card from a vending machine, call them, and they'll transfer the balance from the CCP to the old lost card number, and then transfer it from that old card number to the new card number.

But with CCP auto-reload still working, I'm not doing anything until I absolutely have to at this point and avoid the entire mess as long as possible.

I have to say this. I have thought this was bad from the start. But I think it is real comical that when this was perceived to be the savior of the world, Metra wanted nothing to do with it (one of the few things Clifford did right by dragging his feet). Now that the thing, for the time being, is a colossal bust, Metra is all for it. Seems about right.

The hog wild was basically when O'Halloran put the Press Release on the Metra website saying that we're undoing everything Clifford did, including the statement "Accelerating onboard acceptance of credit cards, including Ventra, with a goal of beginning implementation by July 2014." O'Halloran was justly out of there a couple of weeks later.

As I understand Orseno's position, in the Daily Herald, Ventra would be accepted at terminals, apparently to buy paper tickets. But Metra will also need an onboard system for conductors to accept passes and to issue tickets using passengers' credit or debit cards. For that, "Ventra may or may not be the way we go," Orseno said.

He seems aware that what was represented as the SEPTA solution, tap on and tap off, isn't going to work. Remember what I said way back about implanting a robotic pass reader in your head? You didn't go for that then. :rolleyes:

The 3 for 1 one Monday gets back to one for Wednesday night: Sun Times has complaints that the minority setasides for Cubic subcontractors were too low, and apparently the woman one was a Daley administration hack. The article brings up Claypool's "I wasn't in office when the contract was awarded," but it looks like the usual revolving door or using Daley political influence.