andrethebusman Posted July 24, 2014 Report Posted July 24, 2014 I have a few questions about Ventra related to a recent incident I had. I haven't had any luck getting answers from Ventra or the CTA, but perhaps someone here can help. At the end of June, my Ventra card completely died, when I tapped it, there was no response at all from the farebox or turnstile. I was able to get a new card for free from a retailer, and assumed I would be able to go online to transfer my balance from my old card to the new one, after I registered it of course. As it turns out, this isn't possible. One reason Ventra is supposed to exist is because it's an amazing new technology, and yet we can't transfer funds between cards online? Can someone explain this? I callled Ventra, and you can't even transfer a balance over the phone, you need to actually visit the Ventra office. Why? It wasn't worth the trouble to do that, so I reported a defective card online, and they sent out a new one with my balance transferred. However, there was a five dollar fee for the new card. Why am I paying to replace a defective card? Also, why do these cards cost $5 at all. They can't possibly cost that much to produce. Assuming they do cost a lot less to make, where is the extra money that we're paying for the cards going? Cubic is making a lot of money on this whole deal. The $5 is going directly into their pockets as an "administrative fee", as is the 50 cents "surcharge" on a trip ticket (a hidden fare increase if there ever was one). But compared to the speed camera scandal that is just starting to blow up, this is pretty above board and open. You pay more, and the CTA is perfectly happy to let you as it saves them a huge amount to contract the whole revenue collection business out. Remember, CTA no longer has anything to do with fare collection on the L, that's all Ventra employees. On the bus side, CTA only collects the cash fares, and the rumor is Cubic/Ventra will take that over within a few months. too, so that CTA just sits back and gets a check from Cubic every month. One has to wonder, though. CTA claims bus riding is down almost 10% from last year. Sure don't see it. I wonder if Cubic is giving CTA a "fair lop", in other words, is Cubic really telling CTA how many fares are really being paid? Quote
Busjack Posted July 24, 2014 Author Report Posted July 24, 2014 Cubic is making a lot of money on this whole deal. The $5 is going directly into their pockets as an "administrative fee", as is the 50 cents "surcharge" on a trip ticket (a hidden fare increase if there ever was one). ... As I discussed above, there isn't any indication that Cubic is getting anything other than the $450 million, plus some out of Pace for additional equipment. More than likely, CTA is keeping the money. Also, it wasn't a hidden fare increase, because CTA held a public hearing on it, as mandated by federal law when there is a fare increase. The only hidden fare increase, if one can call it a fare increase, was treating bank cards as cash fares. However, since it is has been reported that Chase is doing away with Blink cards in favor of the European style chips, that fraud will soon be moot. Quote
Railwaymodeler Posted August 1, 2014 Report Posted August 1, 2014 I used my disability free ride Ventra card for the first time on a bus last week. It should be activated, and should all be set up, yet when I tapped it against the machine, nothing at all happened. As in no response whatsoever from the reader. Even the driver had no idea why it did absolutely nothing, especially because no one else that day had problems. He let me ride anyway, since it IS a free ride pass. Before I deal with the "Customer (Lack of) Support", I figure I'd ask here and see if anyone has any guesses what the problem is? Quote
BusHunter Posted August 1, 2014 Report Posted August 1, 2014 I used my disability free ride Ventra card for the first time on a bus last week. It should be activated, and should all be set up, yet when I tapped it against the machine, nothing at all happened. As in no response whatsoever from the reader. Even the driver had no idea why it did absolutely nothing, especially because no one else that day had problems. He let me ride anyway, since it IS a free ride pass. Before I deal with the "Customer (Lack of) Support", I figure I'd ask here and see if anyone has any guesses what the problem is? maybe you have to register it. I came across this mexican guy tonight who put his money in the machine and walked off. His money popped back out. At least I got to tell him his money popped out before he left or he would have been wondering wth on the bus. Quote
Busjack Posted August 1, 2014 Author Report Posted August 1, 2014 maybe you have to register it. I came across this mexican guy tonight who put his money in the machine and walked off. His money popped back out. At least I got to tell him his money popped out before he left or he would have been wondering wth on the bus. The RTA ones should have been registered already. And there is no need to register it to put a fare on it, as RailwayModeler indicated. If he called the activation number, it should have worked. Quote
Railwaymodeler Posted August 3, 2014 Report Posted August 3, 2014 I did call the number a while back. Where it gets interesting, is that the Ventra free ride card I have was set to expire June 30. After a couple calls to find out where my new one was, I was told that the card I had was going to be good through the end of September now. Sounds like a delay in getting new cards out. I used my old magnet stripe card until June 30 on the buses (Though it was faded, worn, and chipped in the corner, it always worked on the buses) and kept the newer cleaner Ventra card in my wallet to show Metra trainmen. The picture on the mag stripe card was so worn the trainmen could not verify it was my card. I actually activated the Ventra card right before June 30, I think a day or two before. I have very little tolerance for the talking heads at most customer support centers and avoid them if at all possible. Quote
ctrabs74 Posted August 3, 2014 Report Posted August 3, 2014 Finally got some good use out of my Ventra card this weekend. My girlfriend came in from out of town and we spent the weekend in Chicago, staying at a hotel in Elk Grove Village (right on the 223). I didn't realize that with a Ventra card, the 25 cent transfer fee also applies for transferring between PACE and CTA services, at least according to what my account transaction log was saying. I found it convenient that I could use both my 7 day CTA/Pace pass and the remaining stored value card from my earlier trip to Chicago in June. As it turned out, using the stored value portion of my Ventra card for my girlfriend was more effective than buying a one-day CTA pass: Sat.: 223 to Rosemont ($1.75), Blue to Grant (25 cents), 65 to Navy Pier (2nd transfer); 29 to State/Lake ($2.00), Red to Sox-35 (25 cents); Green to Clark/Lake ($2.25), Blue to Rosemont (gate-free transfer), 223 back to hotel (25 cents) Sun.: Round trip between hotel and Rosemont via 223, free Rosemont Circulator ($3.50) I'll be in Chicago all-day tomorrow before continuing my vacation trip to Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Indianapolis before returning home to Pittsburgh on Friday. I'll be posting my observations elsewhere in these forums. Quote
jajuan Posted August 5, 2014 Report Posted August 5, 2014 I did call the number a while back. Where it gets interesting, is that the Ventra free ride card I have was set to expire June 30. After a couple calls to find out where my new one was, I was told that the card I had was going to be good through the end of September now. Sounds like a delay in getting new cards out. I used my old magnet stripe card until June 30 on the buses (Though it was faded, worn, and chipped in the corner, it always worked on the buses) and kept the newer cleaner Ventra card in my wallet to show Metra trainmen. The picture on the mag stripe card was so worn the trainmen could not verify it was my card. I actually activated the Ventra card right before June 30, I think a day or two before. I have very little tolerance for the talking heads at most customer support centers and avoid them if at all possible. Quick question. Did they tell you that your free ride Ventra card was set to expire June 30 when they mailed it out to you? Finally got some good use out of my Ventra card this weekend. My girlfriend came in from out of town and we spent the weekend in Chicago, staying at a hotel in Elk Grove Village (right on the 223). I didn't realize that with a Ventra card, the 25 cent transfer fee also applies for transferring between PACE and CTA services.......... Yeah when Pace changed its extra transfer charge for regular fare routes from 10 cents to 25 cents like CTA's transfer charge is currently, it eliminated its prior separate "Transfer to CTA" charge which at the time fluctuated at different amounts over the years depending upon what would bring the total cost paid by a rider to match whatever the current CTA fare plus transfers happened to be at that given instant. I remember during the early days of CTA mag stripe fare media technology, which also happened to be at a time when CTA and Pace had a lot more fare cooperation than displayed today, that when Pace buses initially got mag stripe card readers to keep in line with CTA moving to new fare media that the card readers on Pace buses didn't differentiate between a Pace fare and a CTA fare and were deducting fares off the old transit cards at the CTA fare rate instead of the Pace rate. So because it never really mattered if you boarded a Pace bus or another CTA vehicle for your extra two rides with your transfer from CTA while at that time a Pace transfer cost more if going from Pace to CTA, that particular early glitch had some riders with transit cards paying a total fare off their transit cards that was more than a CTA fare with transfers when using their transit cards on a Pace bus first and then boarding regular CTA services. Quote
Railwaymodeler Posted August 5, 2014 Report Posted August 5, 2014 Quick question. Did they tell you that your free ride Ventra card was set to expire June 30 when they mailed it out to you? Yes, and I think there is something printed on it to that effect too. June 30 is also when my old magnetic card was set to expire too, so I think the Ventra card was merely to replace my existing magnetic card. I was not only told by someone I talked to at the RTA that my existing Ventra card would be good through September now, but a trainman on a Metra train told me there was a bulletin downtown that said that too. I did try the 800 number for the Ventra card, and was unable to talk to a "real" human being. I also hate these computerized phone systems with a passion. Quote
Busjack Posted August 6, 2014 Author Report Posted August 6, 2014 Somewhat related, the reference to Metrolinx indicates that it is an Ontario provincial agency, which has taken over GO Transit, and that is has, throughout the southeast part of the province, instituted the PRESTO card. However, it appears that Accenture is getting heat for its role in the project. Differences between here and there: PRESTO is a tap on tap off system, and there are instructions in case you fail to tap off. Backwards from what is being done here, PRESTO started on the trains and small bus operators,and is only being gradually phased into the TTC subway and surface systems. Quote
Railwaymodeler Posted August 18, 2014 Report Posted August 18, 2014 I got my new Ventra card the other day. It got sent to my dad's house by mistake (I lived with him briefly before moving to Kenosha. He is also payee for my SSI, mostly because he is much better at keeping track of that and insurance than I ever will be), and he activated it for me before he brought it up for me. We'll see if this one works. Quote
BusHunter Posted August 29, 2014 Report Posted August 29, 2014 Just letting you guys know Ventra ripped me off yesterday. I had taken a bus to a rail station (no issues) I had a pass that was set to expire in 8 hours, so I put the money in the Ventra machine at the rail station. I enter the station and while waiting for my train I setup the next pass to be in queue. I find out I cannot do this because Ventra has just charged me $2.25 to enter the station. All my pass data was deleted!! So not only was I ripped off the 8 hours, I was charged $2.25 on top of it. I had to re exit the station put more money on my card set up a pass wait for it to be in queue and then I was on my way. First time I've been ripped off on a pass!! Next time I put money on a card before I enter the station I'm going to setup my card wait for it to be in queue and then enter the station. I can't do nothing about being ripped off the time, but at least then I can stop the fraudulent charges placed against me. Quote
Busjack Posted August 29, 2014 Author Report Posted August 29, 2014 Just letting you guys know Ventra ripped me off yesterday. I had taken a bus to a rail station (no issues) I had a pass that was set to expire in 8 hours, so I put the money in the Ventra machine at the rail station. I enter the station and while waiting for my train I setup the next pass to be in queue. I find out I cannot do this because Ventra has just charged me $2.25 to enter the station. All my pass data was deleted!! So not only was I ripped off the 8 hours, I was charged $2.25 on top of it. I had to re exit the station put more money on my card set up a pass wait for it to be in queue and then I was on my way. First time I've been ripped off on a pass!! Next time I put money on a card before I enter the station I'm going to setup my card wait for it to be in queue and then enter the station. I can't do nothing about being ripped off the time, but at least then I can stop the fraudulent charges placed against me. The issue raised by some people is that the server doesn't instantaneously get the information from the vending machine, strange as that may seem. Let us know how long you stay on hold for the 800 operator to figure this one out. Quote
BusHunter Posted August 29, 2014 Report Posted August 29, 2014 The issue raised by some people is that the server doesn't instantaneously get the information from the vending machine, strange as that may seem. Let us know how long you stay on hold for the 800 operator to figure this one out. Not worth my time. Quote
jajuan Posted August 30, 2014 Report Posted August 30, 2014 The issue raised by some people is that the server doesn't instantaneously get the information from the vending machine, strange as that may seem. Let us know how long you stay on hold for the 800 operator to figure this one out. Yeah as I recall I think it was mentioned it could take up to 20 minutes for money added to the transit value or a new pass waiting in queue to appear which is why I do either the day before at minimum as a precaution. But that still shouldn't have deleted his pass that had eight hours left before expiration. Quote
busfan2847 Posted September 10, 2014 Report Posted September 10, 2014 My new September Ventra Link-Up Card showed as being expired the first time I used it Yesterday. Took it back to Metra and apparently it is not the first to show expired! Quote
Railwaymodeler Posted September 20, 2014 Report Posted September 20, 2014 Since I just realized I never said if the new card works or not, yes it does. In fact, it hasn't once failed to read so far. Though I do realize I probably just jinxed myself. Quote
busfan2847 Posted September 24, 2014 Report Posted September 24, 2014 My new September Ventra Link-Up Card showed as being expired the first time I used it Yesterday. Took it back to Metra and apparently it is not the first to show expired! It now appears that every September Link Up Ventra card has failed in exactly the same way always on a Monday morning but not the same Monday. Everyone I know who uses LinkUp has had the card fail this month - "Card expired". Metra has been replacing the cards with new ones, even this week. The new ones will undoubtedly have 30 days validity - cta will loose a lost of money on this if everyone gets them replaced! Bus drivers are allowing people on with faulty cards, if they show them the month sticker Metra attaches to the back of the card. Just like old times with the LinkUp sticker on your monthly, however now you have two pieces of card not one! They have also changed the latest LinkUp cards. New cards have rounded corners. Previous cards had square corners. Quote
Tcmetro Posted September 29, 2014 Report Posted September 29, 2014 Metra claims to accept Ventra because the debit card function can be used to buy tickets at TVMs and ticket offices: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/09/25/metra-says-it-already-welcomes-ventra-no-not-really/ Quote
Busjack Posted September 29, 2014 Author Report Posted September 29, 2014 Metra claims to accept Ventra because the debit card function can be used to buy tickets at TVMs and ticket offices: http://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/09/25/metra-says-it-already-welcomes-ventra-no-not-really/ As the post indicates, only in the sense of possibly bare compliance with the law, which is par for the course of most transit agencies here, and especially for the finest commuter railroad of the 19th Century. The Aug. 2014 Minutes seem to be the most recent update, which indicates that Metra has a lot of work to do. As an aside, if you want further proof that nobody gives a blank about the law,* those minutes (second paragraph) also indicate that a double dipper was just appointed to the Metra Board, even though they only way they got O'Halloran to resign was double dipping (unless being Village President does not pay). _____________ *70 ILCS 3615/3B.01( c ): No director, while serving as such, shall be an officer, a member of the board of directors or trustee or an employee of any transportation agency, or be an employee of the State of Illinois or any department or agency thereof, or of any county, municipality, or any other unit of local government or receive any compensation from any elected or appointed office under the Constitution and laws of Illinois. Quote
Busjack Posted October 16, 2014 Author Report Posted October 16, 2014 I see that my renewed Chase ATM/Debit card doesn't have a "blink" logo on it, so I guess Chase has given up on that problem, including the Ventra problem. It doesn't seem to have the European chip. either. Quote
MRChiCity Posted October 17, 2014 Report Posted October 17, 2014 Speaking of Venture cards? How do CTA/PACE Bus operators log into those, through the fare-box? Quote
ArcherRider Posted October 17, 2014 Report Posted October 17, 2014 Speaking of Venture cards? How do CTA/PACE Bus operators log into those, through the fare-box? I do not how does PACE does it but CTA Bus operators use the Clever Device to log in and change the Ventra Reader in front of them. Quote
strictures Posted October 17, 2014 Report Posted October 17, 2014 I do not how does PACE does it but CTA Bus operators use the Clever Device to log in and change the Ventra Reader in front of them. And there's been some kind of problem with CTA drivers logging in this week. I've been on several buses in the last few days where the driver had to repeated login, then the display reverted to the "PLEASE LOGIN" screen. That beeping is really annoying! Quote
brownliner Posted October 17, 2014 Report Posted October 17, 2014 I see that my renewed Chase ATM/Debit card doesn't have a "blink" logo on it, so I guess Chase has given up on that problem, including the Ventra problem. It doesn't seem to have the European chip. either. Chase has stopped issuing cards with the touchless stuff. No one uses it, even when both parties support it, and the transaction amount is under the limit. Really, swiping a card just isnt' that hard. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.