Howard Ar 0245 hrs R826
These will be the first Howard/Englewood trains:
Howard Lv 0030 hrs R836
Ashland Ar 0133 hrs R836
----------------------------------------------
Ashland Lv 0152 hrs R836
Howard Ar 0255 hrs R836
  • Upvote 3

Maybe for fare collection purposes a CTA "day" starts at 03:00, but operationally speaking, Saturday service effectively starts at midnight. At least that's how I'm reading it (though I could be wrong).

For instance, the current Red Line schedule brochure does go to 2:45 a.m. (last departure) and then starts again at 3:00 a.m., not midnight.

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen....the schedule I posted is correct. What's the argument?LOL. The two services will chase each other like the tortoise and the hare, LOL. Is it possible for someone to change in midstream and ride the last and first service?

Plus the run numbers give you additional clues to the operating department's thinking about the changeover. The numbers are all pm runs (Saturday runs). The first Sunday runs would start with (X01). Most (X01) runs begin at or after 0400 hours.

After further study of the changeover, to me it seems the primary determiner was to keep the Ashland/63 south side stations open for 24/7 service beginning with the Owl services Sunday morning. As the Green line pm runs would begin their phase-out, Red line pm and midnight runs would be meshed into the schedule and Green line stations from 35th/Bronzeville to Ashland/63 would have seamless service. The changeover was timed for this and not for timetables, schedules, when the day starts, etc.

P.S. So, it's possible, some run numbers, particularily the midnights are going to go to both south side terminals for their Saturday work day.

So no service between the last Green line from Ashland/63rd from 12:45a to the 1st Red line @1:52a?

Howard Lv 0020 hrs R928

95th Ar 0129 hrs R928

95th Lv 0140 hrs R826

Howard Ar 0245 hrs R826

These will be the first Howard/Englewood trains:

Howard Lv 0030 hrs R836

Ashland Ar 0133 hrs R836

Ashland Lv 0152 hrs R836

Howard Ar 0255 hrs R836

So no service between the last Green line from Ashland/63rd from 12:45a to the 1st Red line @1:52a?

It's not like there was any expected service there around 1:00am anyway. The station(until today) would have closed at 12:45am which means those on an EB N63 bus would(and tonight still will) ride it to the Red line station at Dan Ryan/63rd. (please strike previous response) Those NB trains are still running until 1:50am. After, they will get redirected to the now running R55 buses which between 1am and 4am will take them N to Garfield or S towards 95th.

After 4am, those on 63rd that want to go NB will have to learn to use one of the 4 remaining open train stations and take either Red line trains from Ashland/63rd or Halsted, or Green line trains from King Drive or Cottage Grove and the following owl nights - seeing and hearing Red Line trains passing their 63rd bus from Ashland to near the Dan Ryan will see the choice of getting on a Red directly at Ashland/63rd or Halsted or transferring to a R55 for free and getting on at Garfield.

(Edited as Red line trains are going to running on either branch at any given time with R55 service in place from around 1am)

Plus looking at the schedules it's always been a quirk of the Green line that NB service ended an hour before SB arrivals end. After that last NB departure, there still are three more SB's to arrive. Sunday real am time, the yard people will then have to throw together a couple of drags and transfer the cars over to 61st St. And like it was said above, there's still the NB on the Ryan.

Ok then, so when will the R55 and the N5 start running to/from Garfield Green/Red Station??

As jtrosario stated for the R55, it should be approximately 1am tonight since it would be May 19th despite night owl party goers technically thinking of it as still being Saturday night. One could surmise that it would be tonight as the N5 starts service the reroute to Garfield will be in effect since the buses that depart 95th at 11:20 and 11:40 would make it to the north end of the route after midnight.

UPDATE: I checked the service page that states the route service hours between the route terminals and for N5 it has the following right now:

Service Hours:

95th/Dan Ryan (accessible) (Red) north to Garfield (accessible) (Red, Green)

11:10p-4:40a weekdays, 11:10p-5:10a Saturday, 11:10p-5:10a Sunday

Garfield (accessible) (Red, Green) south to 95th/Dan Ryan (accessible) (Red)

12:10a-4:40a weekdays, 12:10a-5:40a Saturday, 12:10a-5:40a Sunday

So from that it looks like for that route the reroute to Garfield will be in effect tonight.

As jtrosario stated for the R55, it should be approximately 1am tonight since it would be May 19th despite night owl party goers technically thinking of it as still being Saturday night. One could surmise that it would be tonight as the N5 starts service the reroute to Garfield will be in effect since the buses that depart 95th at 11:20 and 11:40 would make it to the north end of the route after midnight.

So from that it looks like for that route the reroute to Garfield will be in effect tonight.

I think I was misunderstood, Yes tonight, but it wouldn't make any sense to drop off N5 at Garfield until about 2:00am, as renardo870 stated, there is no service (NB) between the last Green line from Ashland/63rd from 12:45a to the 1st Red line @1:52a, so anyone standing on the Garfield platform from about 12:55am to about 2:02am would have No NB train service. So the N5 will likely run to 69th station to do drop offs until the 1:27am N5 drop off, and then go to Garfield lite(no passengers) to pick up from the first SB Red train on the elevated tracks which could have some SB Red passengers waiting from the 1st SB reroute train. The following N5s would have bidirectional transfers at Garfield.

Hopefully there are NO shuttles dropping off at Garfield until about 2:00am.

Edit: Actually there is the last NB Green line train that picks up at Garfield at 1:06am. Still almost an hour wait for anyone who shows up there tonight instead of going to the Dan Ryan for NB train service.

I think I was misunderstood, Yes tonight, but it wouldn't make any sense to drop off N5 at Garfield until about 2:00am, as renardo870 stated, there is no service (NB) between the last Green line from Ashland/63rd from 12:45a to the 1st Red line @1:52a, so anyone standing on the Garfield platform from about 12:55am to about 2:02am would have No NB train service. So the N5 will likely run to 69th station to do drop offs until the 1:27am N5 drop off, and then go to Garfield lite(no passengers) to pick up from the first SB Red train on the elevated tracks which could have some SB Red passengers waiting from the 1st SB reroute train. The following N5s would have bidirectional transfers at Garfield.

Hopefully there are NO shuttles dropping off at Garfield until about 2:00am.

Edit: Actually there is the last NB Green line train that picks up at Garfield at 1:06am. Still almost an hour wait for anyone who shows up there tonight instead of going to the Dan Ryan for NB train service.

Mistype on my part on the 1AM time for R55. I was looking at the 2AM effective time for the start of the Red Line trains rerouting from 63rd but had the 1AM-4AM service span sticking in my head. I actually took his question to mean will they start N5 reroutes and operation of R55 tonight or tomorrow night since both of those are owl services. I then happened to see service hours for N5 on the CTA website given as quoted in my post above while 71 still says its north end is 69th/Dan Ryan, hence my UPDATE part after I put my original post.

EDIT: Upon looking at the N5 advanced schedule there would be a drop off at Garfield at 1:03 and one at 1:33 during the 1AM hour so those two trips could theoretically link up with the last Green Line train that picks up at 1:06 and the first rerouted NB Red Line train respectively if in fact the reroute of the N5 is indeed in effect from the moment it starts service with the NB trip that leaves 95th at 11:10PM tonight.

In an update to my update, I just checked BusTracker and N5 is shown still ending at 69th/Dan Ryan for now with no alert of extending to Garfield Green/temporary Red station. So looks like the reroute will start later in the night as service on the Red Line transitions from the Dan Ryan to the Green Line tracks. And odd that I didn't notice it before but BusTracker shows N5's route name as East 95th just it does for 95E.

Checking bus tracker and the last N5 arrived at 69th and there are no more, also watching 4 arriving at its south end with no more buses showing, none on 63, none on 55. Perhaps some type of system reset after these last buses go off tracker, then all the modified routes go in. Anyone else seeing odd things on bustracker right now?

Edit: Train Tracker Report - 12:29am R928 is very late and far behind the group of 3 headed for 95/Dan Ryan. R928, being the last to go to 95th and late will probably be pretty crowded.

12:47am R836 is heading to Ashland/63rd. A bit late but everything will still make the promised cutover time of 3am.

Just did a trip planner scenario leaving 63rd and Ashland to Roosevelt and State starting right now in real time* and the Google Maps planner gives for trips spaced ten minutes apart saying use the Red Line, not Green, departing 63rd/Ashland station and getting off at Roosevelt Red Line. The first of those trips says train departs at 12:50AM.

Did another for a trip leaving 95th/Dan Ryan again going to Roosevelt and the earliest trip for that one was board R55 at 12:51 to catch up with a Red Line train departing Garfield Green-Red at 1:45 and arriving at Roosevelt at 2:00AM.

_______

*I used the actual trip planner that's on the CTA homepage and almost every other page within the website, not the theoretical planner that's linked in the Red South Alternative pages.

(Time 1 Am) According to train tracker run #836 now passing through Addison is the first Red line to go to Ashland/63rd. The last 95th bound Red line train is currently going through Clark/Division (run #826), as I speak. Run #616 on the Green line currently heading east at Austin is heading for Ashland/63rd so it looks like there's going to be Red and Green line trains on that branch initially.

(Time 1:19AM) Red line run #836 is 3 minutes from Roosevelt and Green line's run #616 is 3 minutes from State/Lake so there will be a Red line train ahead of a Green line train to Ashland/63rd. Strangely red line run #928 has disappeared from the tracker along with all SB's to 95th, There are still NB's on the Dan Ryan branch, but you can now no longer track them (just visually on the map) Red line stations have defaulted to the south side elevated.

(Time 1:32 AM) The first Red line to Ashland/63rd was held back to let the Green line pass ahead of it at Roosevelt. Green line run 616 just went through the loop in 10 minutes (looked to be running express) which I thought was against CTA policy as that is a Green line bummer train. More weirdness, all NB red line's are only showing Cermak/Chinatown as the next stop. (They seem to be running express)

(Time 1:54 AM) Run 825 is the last NB red line in service on the 95th branch, currently at Cermak/Chinatown all the other trains behind it heading south to 95th that disappearred are no longer showing up. (Probably running lite NB at least we hope so, because so far there is no NB red line service out of Ashland/63rd)

(Time 2:00 AM) Run #836 just left Ashland/63rd NB, the first train to Howard in 18 years!! Roosevelt Red line reports service will reach there in 6 minutes so that must be what's left of the 95th branch service no longer visible as in service.

(Time 2:06 AM) looks like someone made a wrong turn run #838 on the Red line is on the Cottage Grove/63rd branch headed to Cottage Grove. Run #826 the last Red line from 95th to Howard just popped up at Garfield NB.

(Time 2:26 AM) run #826 just arrived at Roosevelt NB, The Dan ryan branch now is shut down for construction. There is no service NB from Addison to Roosevelt. That concludes my report for the night.

More weirdness, all NB red line's are only showing Cermak/Chinatown as the next stop. (They seem to be running express)

I saw them all disappear at the same time NBs and all SBs. The NBs start to show up with Cermak-Chinatown as the next stop. This looks like a temp. glitch as the other stops have been removed from train tracker.

Also, the glitch of Green line trains not seeing Ashland/63rd and disappearing off the map before Halsted SB is also applying to our new Red line trains. Hopefully that glitch gets fixed soon. I wouldn't expect to see the NB Red line trains show up on the 63rd branch until after they get East of Halsted.

Edit: I stand corrected R836 showed up fine NB out of Ashland/63rd at 2:01am. I wonder how many people are standing at Garfield and how long they have been waiting.

Very cool on train tracker - just saw R826 and R836 next to/parallel with each other NB both just North of 63rd. One being the last NB Dan Ryan train (closing stations behing it) and the other being the first NB Red Line elevated service. Passengers on both would have been able to see the other NB Red line train out their respective windows.