Classic CTA Photos

sw4400

Here's a little bit of classic CTA. Brand new fleet of GM Fishbowls parked outside of Soldier Field circa 1972.

Sealed windowns on 1111? I don't recall any other fleet of CTA buses having sealed windows. Was it just on that bus or the entire series of those Fishbowls?

The 1000's all came with sealed windows. It was felt that with the buses being airconditioned, one piece windows would work. All was good until the airconditioning began to fail, along with the CTA's lack of maintenance. After a while it was not uncommon to see multiple windows "popped" on hot days by passengers to get ventilation.

Also, the photo of the fishbowls was taken at South Shops.

Sealed windowns on 1111? I don't recall any other fleet of CTA buses having sealed windows. Was it just on that bus or the entire series of those Fishbowls?

All GM New Looks; 1000s, 7400s, 9000s and 9600s were delivered with sealed windows. Many others in the fleet had them; the M.A.N. 7000 and 7100s among them. And of course all the current buses.

Here's an old bus bought by CTA when they bought Chicago Motor Coach Company. I have no clue what manufacturer or bus model this is.

Just about everything CMC had was Yellow, which became GMC. Supposedly they had a few Macks, but I doubt this is one.

The reason was that John Hertz ran CMC, Yellow Coach, and Yellow Cab, but apparently not all at the same time. The 52nd garage had a YC shield in stone over the Chicago Motor Coach Co. stone sign.

And why don't you give credits for the photos, as you obviously didn't take them (and I doubt that your great grandmother did). There is still a copyright law.

All GM New Looks; 1000s, 7400s, 9000s and 9600s were delivered with sealed windows. Many others in the fleet had them; the M.A.N. 7000 and 7100s among them. And of course all the current buses.

Nope on the later buses. All buses starting with the 4000 MANs* have transom windows; the MANs, 4400s,** 5300s and 6000s had sliding lower windows, and the ones with rounded rectangular windows (Novas, New Flyer) have openable hopper windows.

*Apparently the 901D Flyers, too, although I don't remember those explicitly.

**Look at the pictures in the gallery. From the picture of 4575, the 4400s had both sliders and hoppers.

I guess you could take this up with the CTA... it was on their Facebook and I didn't see any mention of copyright... I guess we're all guilty then, Copyright Officer Busjack. <_<

Just because CTA put it on Facebook doesn't mean that they waived their copyright.

Even if they allow their use, intellectual honesty still requires that the credit be provided.

Here's an old bus bought by CTA when they bought Chicago Motor Coach Company. I have no clue what manufacturer or bus model this is.

Photo Copyright © to Chicago Transit Authority Facebook

864 is a 1939 Yellow Coach 740 which was withdrawn before cta took over CMC on 1st Oct 1952.

GM bought a majority stake in Yellow Coach in 1925 before taking it over in 1943 as the GMC Truck & Coach division.

864 is a 1939 Yellow Coach 740 which was withdrawn before cta took over CMC on 1st Oct 1952.

GM bought a majority stake in Yellow Coach in 1925 before taking it over in 1943 as the GMC Truck & Coach division.

Thanks.

I was wondering with regard to Lind's CSL book how Yellows started looking like GM old looks, but didn't become GMs until approximately after WWII.

Also, it shows the difference when transit companies were private. CMC was pretty much all Yellow for the reason indicated, while CSL bought small amounts of all sorts of small buses. At one time, my father asked "is GM the only bus maker," and later on I asked him if that was because he lived near the Boulevard Routes, to which the answer was yes.

Just because CTA put it on Facebook doesn't mean that they waived their copyright.

Even if they allow their use, intellectual honesty still requires that the credit be provided.

As Busjack notes, stating that a photo or work is copyrighted doesn't give you the right to use it as you please. However, CTA generally allows sharing of their photos with credit.

Most of the photos CTA posts to their Facebook page are also posted to their Flickr page. On Flickr, they're typically licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs license. This means you can share the photos elsewhere, but credit must be given (and you can't modify or build upon the photos).

In general, I prefer linking to the source rather than re-uploading the image here. But the latter is legal in this case as long as CTA gets credit.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a classic from CTA's Facebook Page. This one is circa 1955 on Milwaukee at Kinzie/Desplaines. Note the rails in the middle of the street. Trolleys must've still been at use at this time or just ended use.

The existence of the propane bus and trolley wires not being visible indicate that they ended use. Lind's book says that streetcar service on Milwaukee ended in 1952.