New Clever Devices?

Vinny

Saw this on a 53 bus this morning. Also looked like there was an additional box behind the fare box next to the driver with the cubic logo on it.

Some of North Park's buses, mainly among the 1000s, have had that particular screen for about a couple months at least. Some from 74th also have this new screen instead of the older ones.

#1202 and #1232 have these at the glen. These are the same screens that are in the #4300's. I hope these buses weren't rehabbed yet because I see no other changes than that.

Btw I didn't know that the #4300's have a sneeze guard. Operators are telling me they get wrote up if they don't use those.

#1202 and #1232 have these at the glen. These are the same screens that are in the #4300's. I hope these buses weren't rehabbed yet because I see no other changes than that.

Btw I didn't know that the #4300's have a sneeze guard. Operators are telling me they get wrote up if they don't use those.

Quick question, what's a sneeze guard? It's the first time I've heard that term.

That's what they call those plastic shields that swing out in front of the operator. I guess they call them that because you cannot sneeze on the operator.

No, it is an assault guard.

I didn't see a picture of the Clever Devices terminal on their site, but they do have a lot of pictures of a CTA articulated bus yard and BusTime Bus Tracker on their home page slide show.

The other new thing I saw on that particular bus was "priority seating" notices screen printed on the inserts of the seats themselves. So maybe part of a rehab? I don't recall the bus number, but it was a NF 40-foot with the regular transverse seating.

If you mean the RTA priority seating notices near the windows and that are also popping up on Pace buses too, those also have been around for a while now too.

The other new thing I saw on that particular bus was "priority seating" notices screen printed on the inserts of the seats themselves. So maybe part of a rehab? I don't recall the bus number, but it was a NF 40-foot with the regular transverse seating.

He doesn't mean the wheelchair symbol does he? If so that might be a seat insert left over from the #6000's.

He doesn't mean the wheelchair symbol does he? If so that might be a seat insert left over from the #6000's.

If it's the wheelchair symbol, then those have been around for a while likely left over from the 6000's as you point out.

No, it had the "priority seating" label and possibly some other text IIRC. I tried to take a pic on my way off but it blurred something terrible. I'll look for it again next week now that us feds are back to work.

Looks like the Ventra terminals on Pace buses. Now the Pace buses (At least at North Division) have IBS terminals and Ventra terminals.

The "Sneeze guard" thing sounds like a euphamism to that passengers don't think they are on a bad route or something like "Why does the driver have bulletproof glass between him and us?" But yeah, with flu season and cooler weather, it probably does help keep drivers a bit more healthy anyway.

• 1 year later...

Finally, the explanation comes out. There were earlier radio reports today about the new cure for bus bunching, but Hilkevitch says it is the new Clever Device.

As I said much earlier, the theory doesn't work unless all buses are equipped (Update, which is what the Press Release on the home page says, also says it replaces a 15-year old system, which squares with what Mr.CTA85 said about the Orbital terminal being replaced).

Edited by Busjack
  • Upvote 2

Finally, the explanation comes out. There were earlier radio reports today about the new cure for bus bunching, but Hiklevitch says it is the new Clever Device.

As I said much earlier, the theory doesn't work unless all buses are equipped (Update, which is what the Press Release on the home page says, also says it replaces a 15-year old system, which squares with what Mr.CTA85 said about the Orbital terminal being replaced).

​Hopefully the new system can help people, who use transit apps, avoid getting "sent off" i.e. a person waits 2 minutes for a bus but never showed up, a transit app shows no buses available but one came but it's the gps is not available, etc.

​Hopefully the new system can help people, who use transit apps, avoid getting "sent off" i.e. a person waits 2 minutes for a bus but never showed up, a transit app shows no buses available but one came but it's the gps is not available, etc.

​The impression I got from the two sources is that it improves communication between the driver and the control center, not BusTracker itself. Maybe the more relevant issue is that since BusTracker does not show a bus off route, and Andre said that the Clever Device does not properly change the destination sign if the bus is off route, whether this communication is also affected by being off route or the ghost bus effect.

​So does that mean an end to ghost buses, the ones that never show up on Bus Tracker?

It's infuriating to check the app, it shows a 25 minute wait for Clark, sit down inside a store & then 4 minutes later, a 22 passes by that I could've gotten on.

​So does that mean an end to ghost buses, the ones that never show up on Bus Tracker?

It's infuriating to check the app, it shows a 25 minute wait for Clark, sit down inside a store & then 4 minutes later, a 22 passes by that I could've gotten on.

​I don't think so, I really don't see what the difference is between old and new systems. The old one could broadcast messages like "the pull in NABI bus" one. Maybe the difference is it can be broadcast to one bus only. So why then would they have a need for a mobile supervisor, as that is his job? Plus does the control center now have additional functions it didn't have before? Maybe this new job wouldn't be in a mobile vehicle but in the control center? Then also anyone can see if a bus is late, just go to ctabustracker.com or look at the mobile screens in a mobile car, this doesn't really seem to be anything new to me.

You still have to be savvy as a rider out here. I know myself on the #152, the 2:00 pm time frame is a bad time to ride west as most buses are pulling out east, but what they do is pull out buses mid route and hardly any go to west end. I got caught up in that last week. No bus for 40 minutes, so I walk to a pullout point, Harlem. I discover there are pullouts at central behind me and Milwaukee (school run) so If I waited for the bus I wanted at the original stop I will have to wait for 4 buses even though none of them came west.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across some crazy observations tonight. So i'm on the #152 and the operator was talking. I thought maybe he was talking to me but he was on that metal microphone talking to the control center. (That reminds me of the ones they used to have at Burger King) So wth, he can communicate live with them. He no longer uses a phone? I thought he text's them.

I felt like telling him that he was on a ghost bus. Turns out his follower was on a ghost bus too. No bus on bustracker from Blue line west to Central east. All this technology and they still can't get rid of the ghost buses.