Favorite Metra Locomotives?

I know members of Chicagobus.org are allowed to name their favorite buses as part of their profiles, but does anyone have a favorite Metra locomotive? Since I grew up in Oak Park, locomotive 169 "Village of Oak Park" is an easy one. I also like 139 "Village of River Forest" and 427. If you want to share, here's the the place!

post-1461-0-62108600-1390633898_thumb.jp

*This is my first topic started on the forums, so I might not be following all of the rules. Please let me know.

• Upvote 2

I know members of Chicagobus.org are allowed to name their favorite buses as part of their profiles, but does anyone have a favorite Metra locomotive? Since I grew up in Oak Park, locomotive 169 "Village of Oak Park" is an easy one. I also like 139 "Village of River Forest" and 427. If you want to share, here's the the place!

attachicon.gifLumia 1020_20131201_17_59_25_Pro__highres.jpg

*This is my first topic started on the forums, so I might not be following all of the rules. Please let me know.

I'm not trying to change the subject, but are the cars in the thumbnail photo your collection? If so, I was wondering where did you get that (what looks to be) R62(A) New York IRT subway car????? Just curious.

I'm not trying to change the subject, but are the cars in the thumbnail photo your collection? If so, I was wondering where did you get that (what looks to be) R62(A) New York IRT subway car????? Just curious.

Yep! The photo was taken by me, and the various models are still sitting around my house, although I should have put the CTA cars in the picture. :P I bought the R62 off of eBay after waiting for someone to put one up for sale.

What scale is that R62?

To get back on subject, did the Village of Oak Park actually run on the Metra UPW?

The UP-North passes near my building and I don't know if I've seen any locomotives named for cities on the route.

I don't know whether one actually ran past the municipality, but there was a trend of naming the 600 and 100 series locomotives after municipalities. However, since most of the 600s were owned by the North West MTD, they had those names, even though they also ran on the Milw N., line.*

Chicago Transit and Railfan has the list here. 400s are not listed, but the only one of which I am aware is 401 Ollie Tibbles.

*There are very few named after that line: Deerfield, Libertyville, Glenview, Fox Lake, Morton Grove, Round Lake. Most of the ones with C&NW stops seem to be in consecutive blocks. The first group seems all RID.

What scale is that R62?

To get back on subject, did the Village of Oak Park actually run on the Metra UPW?

The UP-North passes near my building and I don't know if I've seen any locomotives named for cities on the route.

The R62 is O-Scale.

I spotted the Village of Oak Park at Crystal Lake on the UP-NW last Wednesday leading an outbound train, and that is how I thought of creating this thread. Down the line was the Village of Downers Grove, so I guess I'm not going to be looking for the one named for Woodstock or Crystal Lake.

The R62 is O-Scale.

I spotted the Village of Oak Park at Crystal Lake on the UP-NW last Wednesday leading an outbound train, and that is how I thought of creating this thread. Down the line was the Village of Downers Grove, so I guess I'm not going to be looking for the one named for Woodstock or Crystal Lake.

Thanks for the update on the R62. Compared to the other models in the photo I would have thought it was larger than O.

I had gotten the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Metra intentionally does not run its locos on routes having those named cities.

I had gotten the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Metra intentionally does not run its locos on routes having those named cities.

The current "misallocation" in that regard probably resulted from equipment shifts when the 400s arrived, the first groups of which went to the BNSF and RI, and only later to Milw. Some of that, of course, was also to get equipment for the SWS and NCS.

The scrambling of cities on the C&NW (now UP) routes probably also indicates that UP can shift the equipment around.I think it was once documented that some trainsets do both Milw N and Milw W runs on the same day.

Thanks for the update on the R62. Compared to the other models in the photo I would have thought it was larger than O.

No. It is just how the allocations work. The following are allocated to UP and do appear frequently in their namesake community:

City of Evanston, Village of Wilmette, City of Highwood, City of Harvard, City of Crystal Lake, City of Park Ridge, Village of Arlington Heights, City of Geneva, City of West Chicago, Village of Lombard, City of McHenry, Village of Kenilworth, Ravinia, Village of Glen Ellyn, City of Zion, City of Waukegan, City of North Chicago, City of Highland Park, Village of Barrington, City of Palatine, City of Des Plaines, Village of Mount Prospect, Village of Winfield, City of Wheaton, Village of Elburn, City of Elmhurst, Braeside, Village of Glencoe, Village of Bellwood, Village of Melrose Park, Village of Maywood, Village of Oak Park, Village of Winnetka, Norwood Park, Village of Berkeley, Village of Lake Bluff and Fox River Grove.

UP also has Downers Grove and Aurora while some of the BNSF F40PH-2M have names from the Milwaukee Lines which were transferred from F40C when they were withdrawn.

• 5 years later...

While I wish Grayslake got a F40 or F59 named after it (saying we have 2 stations here), until we get one I will have to say my favorite is F59PHI #91. New and it seems to run on the NCS and MDN the most. 

On 1/26/2014 at 10:07 PM, Busjack said:

*There are very few named after that line: Deerfield, Libertyville, Glenview, Fox Lake, Morton Grove, Round Lake. Most of the ones with C&NW stops seem to be in consecutive blocks. The first group seems all RID.

Yeah :(

With the F59PHIs, I hope we get a few named after MDN towns/stations

IMG_20190227_172433672.jpg