Skokie (Yellow Line) 50th Anniversary

chicagopcclcar

sw4400, on 18 Apr 2014 - 14:38, said:snapback.png

IRM's looks ok on the outside, but running condition-wise, I don't know if it works or not...

I had asked if that was in running condition and they told me it was not.

That would have been really sweet to bring back the #5000's from the 60's and run those along side the #5000's of today. Didn't the #5000's debut on the swift? I never have rode on the old articulated #5000's. They look cool. So the #5000 at Fox River doesn't run? I thought that was the better of the two pairs preserved condition wise.

What would had to happen for a 5000 to run on the CTA was demonstrated about 12 years ago. The producers of the movie "Ali" wanted to feature the boxer's time spent on Chicago's "L". IRM was contracted to supply three "L" cars and run them on the CTA "L" tracks. The shipping company used a low-boy to ship the three cars. Skokie Shop inspected and put the three cars in shape. The three cars ran qualifications for train crews and supervisors. No mention of the costs that were absorbed by the producers but it must have been in the tens of thousands. 'That would have been really sweet....." Ten by $KKK!

My photos are in "http://www.chicago-l.org/ " Photos are in the rosters.

The three cars used in the movie-shoot. They were based on the south incline at 14th St. and they spent the entire night shooting. The final movie run was only 61 seconds!

IRM sponsored a full day charter and then the cars were returned to IRM. It would take more than a "sweet."

• Upvote 2

Somewhere I have a video of the #5000's at Fox River running with the lights on. I thought maybe it's in as good shape as #6101-02. Yeah I knew about Ali, they have pictures in F&F showing the cars #6655-56 and a few others, I believe #5-50's. Now I need to dig that up and find out what the other cars were. You know if it's only 10's of thousands of dollars, i wonder why CTA or someone wouldn't step up and foot the bill. I mean we're talking about someone doing $100's of million dollar projects and it would be good PR to have some history brought back. It's things like that that make a great company a fantastic one.

... i wonder why CTA or someone wouldn't step up and foot the bill. I mean we're talking about someone doing $100's of million dollar projects and it would be good PR to have some history brought back. It's things like that that make a great company a fantastic one.

Because CTA can't even afford to do its own mission, which is to transport passengers safely and efficiently.

One would have thought that closing the Wrightwood barn and dispersing the collection in it (such as sending the couple of Pullman streetcars to IRM) was sufficient indication of that. I think that I previously included the 2 4200s as a similar waste of money.

They had to have made some good money on the selling of Archer garage. That's alot of land. As far as operational costs, with equipment getting newer that's less maintenance costs. How many blue lights have you seen on the outside of #5000's lately? Get rid of the #2600's and #6400's and things will be looking real good!!

sw4400, on 18 Apr 2014 - 14:38, said:snapback.png

I had asked if that was in running condition and they told me it was not.

What would had to happen for a 5000 to run on the CTA was demonstrated about 12 years ago. The producers of the movie "Ali" wanted to feature the boxer's time spent on Chicago's "L". IRM was contracted to supply three "L" cars and run them on the CTA "L" tracks. The shipping company used a low-boy to ship the three cars. Skokie Shop inspected and put the three cars in shape. The three cars ran qualifications for train crews and supervisors. No mention of the costs that were absorbed by the producers but it must have been in the tens of thousands. 'That would have been really sweet....." Ten by $KKK!

My photos are in "http://www.chicago-l.org/ " Photos are in the rosters.

The three cars used in the movie-shoot. They were based on the south incline at 14th St. and they spent the entire night shooting. The final movie run was only 61 seconds!

IRM sponsored a full day charter and then the cars were returned to IRM. It would take more than a "sweet."

Spotted them on gallery 13 and 14 of the #6000's gallery on Chicago-l.org

Links to Gallery 13: http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/6000s13.html

And Gallery 14: http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/6000s14.html

They had to have made some good money on the selling of Archer garage. That's alot of land. As far as operational costs, with equipment getting newer that's less maintenance costs. How many blue lights have you seen on the outside of #5000's lately? Get rid of the #2600's and #6400's and things will be looking real good!!

Then why is there all the crying about needing $8 billion just to get to a state of good repair and every dime of RTA discretionary funds for operating? The way you talk, there should be a fare decrease coming soon. At least that would be part of their mission.

I don't know if they posted the sales price for Archer, but that couple of million bucks (considering that the buyer has to do the environmental remediation) I'm sure is earmarked for some other capital project.

Then why is there all the crying about needing $8 billion just to get to a state of good repair and every dime of RTA discretionary funds for operating? The way you talk, there should be a fare decrease coming soon. At least that is part of their mission.

I don't know if they posted the sales price for Archer, but a couple of million bucks (considering that the buyer has to do the environmental remediation) I'm sure is earmarked for some other capital project.

Because the infrastructure is old, but with all the capital funds they have been raising they will deal with it eventually. Things break, what do you expect a 120 year old system will look like? Fare decreases have to do with operational budgets, that will never happen only if an emergency occurs. I hate to look at all the money they wasted if the Yellow line and Orange line extensions don't happen because they have already paid the consultants on that. They seem to have no problem wasting money there. This is small change, what ever happened to doing something nice for the community once and a while? Unfortunately #4271-72 don't really have anything to do with the yellow line but it's better than nothing. (maybe no one's paying attention to that though)

Somewhere ....... #6655-56 and a few others, I believe #5-50's. Now I need to dig that up and find out what the other cars were.

22, 6655, 6656! I also owned 22 at one time!

You know if it's only 10's of thousands of dollars, i wonder why CTA or someone wouldn't step up and foot the bill. I mean we're talking about someone doing $100's of million dollar projects and it would be good PR to have some history brought back. It's things like that that make a great company a fantastic one.

You can't be that "NAIVE." For instance..... look at the number people responding to this post. Think back when you were told here, why there was no Snowflake Charter this year. Most of the things Busjack noted were true, too.

Because the infrastructure is old, but with all the capital funds they have been raising they will deal with it eventually....

Really? Either you believe the fiction that about $5 billion will appear in 2017, or the billions spent in the past 10 years have put a dent into it, but based on CTA's continued need, it doesn't appear so.

My comment about a fare reduction was only in response to your observations that with all the new equipment, maintenance cost should be less.

..They seem to have no problem wasting money there. This is small change, what ever happened to doing something nice for the community once and a while? ...

In that they significantly waste money for things that are supposed to help the ridership experience, I don't see how that justifies wasting money just to placate a few enthusiasts. Like those who had contract routes, the foamers should pay for the full cost, too.

Unlike Ford, where keeping the first Mustang might help sales 50 years later, hauling out the old equipment doesn't make any money for CTA, and CTA sure doesn't care about good will to make sales. Also, Henry Ford established foundations to maintain his museums; the best that can be said here is that patrons and volunteers of IRM and Fox Valley keep those museums going. If the Frank Kruesi Foundation wants to support this, that's its business (noting jocularly and hypothetically whether such exists).

Just for you........friends!!!!

Skokie Swift 50th Commemoration

I just got the details for Saturday's (April 26) Skokie Swift 50th anniversary event. It will be held at the Skokie-Dempster station starting at 11:00 AM and running until around 2 PM or so. The CTA's two 4000 series historic cars will be operating every 25 minutes. The cars will follow normal service cars as a second section. They will run to Howard, turn around in the track #5 pocket without unloading or loading at Howard, and run back out to Skokie. It's not yet known whether the cars will stop at Oakton-Skokie, too, but I'm pretty sure they will. You won't be able to get off or on at Howard Street.

Regular CTA rail fares apply, but your monthly pass will work, too.

CTA will hand out two different buttons, one with current CTA logo and one with the old 1964-vintage "Metropolitan Transit" CTA logo.

P1110086.jpg

P1110087.jpg

P1110035.jpg

• Upvote 5

Just for you........friends!!!! Skokie Swift 50th CommemorationI just got the details for Saturday's (April 26) Skokie Swift 50th anniversary event. It will be held at the Skokie-Dempster station starting at 11:00 AM and running until around 2 PM or so. The CTA's two 4000 series historic cars will be operating every 25 minutes. The cars will follow normal service cars as a second section. They will run to Howard, turn around in the track #5 pocket without unloading or loading at Howard, and run back out to Skokie. It's not yet known whether the cars will stop at Oakton-Skokie, too, but I'm pretty sure they will. You won't be able to get off or on at Howard Street.Regular CTA rail fares apply, but your monthly pass will work, too.CTA will hand out two different buttons, one with current CTA logo and one with the old 1964-vintage "Metropolitan Transit" CTA logo. P1110086.jpg P1110087.jpg P1110035.jpg

Hopefully I don't fall asleep on that train after I pull an all nighter at work this weekend lol. :D
  • Upvote 1

So what do you mean by running in a second set? These will be four car trains? Running with what, not #5000's? I wonder what's the big deal in running them by themselves. I hope it's not the wheelchair accessibility people again.

Some people know little about trains. Running a second sets means the two trains run as one.....but still separate. The Christmas Train ran as a second set. Another way to talk about it is to say the train will ran as an extra. The Yellow train will leave first, then the special will follow. The next Yellow will leave on its schedule.

Thus, Yellow trains will keep their schedules.

Maybe can one can explain this better.

• Upvote 4

I would look at the CTA website. It seems like the Yellow runs every ten minutes. There are only the three stops. Maybe someone knows the train trackers better.

Remember....you can not board at Howard.

This should help you mate! They run every ten minutes during rush hours and about 15-20 minutes during non-peak hours and weekends.

post-1364-0-80797800-1398286392_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1