Random Metra

garmon757

3 hours ago, Elkmn said:

I've got some "random" metra content:

on 2 separate occasions, the door to the Main street-Evanston station building was locked, which meant no one could reach the elevator to the inbound platform (the outbound platform has a ramp), and because there was no track level crossing between platforms, people who couldn't go up stairs wouldn't have been able to reach the inbound platform, which I believe is an ADA violation.

I don't know if this is still the case  but at one time  if you called Metra ahead of time, they would contact SCR  [ and possibly other carriers) to transfer passengers who needed ADA access  to the nearest accessible Metra station.  This also applied to passengers who needed ADA access at or between non accessible stations.  Mainly that type of service was provided in the city  or suburbs with rail stations that were elevated.  I know SCR was responsible for the Metra Electric stations.   Generally speaking the only time I've seen it used was when the elevator at Kensington was not working. 

10 hours ago, Elkmn said:

yes but why bother with a bus shuttle when you could unlock the station

I suppose you could unlock the station and still keep the ticket office closed.   How do other customers reach the inbound platform?  Is there a separate entryway?  How would an ADA passenger exit an inbound train?

Perhaps this isn't a Metra issue but an Evanston one.  On most lines the village is responsible for the opening and closing of the station.  I used to catch a late night inbound BNSF train from Lisle and the station was open as long as trains were running.  Belmont was not open past 1 p.m.   in fairness Lisle has an underground pedestrian way for passengers from the outbound platform to cross under the tracks and access the statiinhouse.

Maybe Evanston opens the station for a limited time, like the a.m rush..  Maybe there's a safety concern with the homeless??  But if the station is closed or the elevator is not working,  Metra has to accommodate passengers needing ADA access.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose you could unlock the station and still keep the ticket office closed.   How do other customers reach the inbound platform?  Is there a separate entryway?  How would an ADA passenger exit an inbound train?

The ticket office is at platform level (elevated station), and surprisingly unlocked (I visited during the weekday mid-day). Customers not requiring an elevator use staircases at each end of the platform. If an ADA passenger were to exit an inbound train, they'd either be stuck at the platform and have to wait for the next train, someone would carry them down the stairs, or someone (probably maintenance) would come to unlock the door to the elevator.

Maybe Evanston opens the station for a limited time, like the a.m rush..  Maybe there's a safety concern with the homeless??  But if the station is closed or the elevator is not working,  Metra has to accommodate passengers needing ADA access.

I've never used the station during the rush hour, so I wouldn't know if the elevator is open then. But I guess the homeless might be a concern. If they are going to make the elevator inaccessible, they can't list the station as fully accessible. It's still silly to leave the elevator locked and restrict access to and from the platform for those in wheelchairs, but to say the station is accessible when it isn't could mean someone's trapped on the platform for up to 2 hours. I emailed Metra, so I'll see what they say.

2 hours ago, Elkmn said:

The ticket office is at platform level (elevated station), and surprisingly unlocked (I visited during the weekday mid-day). Customers not requiring an elevator use staircases at each end of the platform. If an ADA passenger were to exit an inbound train, they'd either be stuck at the platform and have to wait for the next train, someone would carry them down the stairs, or someone (probably maintenance) would come to unlock the door to the elevator.

I've never used the station during the rush hour, so I wouldn't know if the elevator is open then. But I guess the homeless might be a concern. If they are going to make the elevator inaccessible, they can't list the station as fully accessible. It's still silly to leave the elevator locked and restrict access to and from the platform for those in wheelchairs, but to say the station is accessible when it isn't could mean someone's trapped on the platform for up to 2 hours. I emailed Metra, so I'll see what they say.

Thanks.   Based on what you are saying,  there's no reason for locking up the elevator unless it's not working.   On that case there should be some signage in addition to online notices to that effect.   Mentioning ADA noncompliance and violations should move Metra to action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

I am a train buff, and am attempting to ride every mile of Metra.    Next up are the Metra Electric routes. 

I've been told the South Chicago 93rd Street Station can be a rough area.

If I ride the Metra Electric Route to South Chicago Chicago 93rd Street Station during the day, and do a turn around to the next train back:

• Is the same train consist used for the return?  (I'm looking at taking the train that arrives at 1:34 p.m., and returns at 1:45 p.m.)
  • Can I just stay on the train?
  • Will I be safe (Ok, I know that's an impossible question to answer, but generally speaking...?)

Regarding the same train consist, I want to make sure that if we're late arriving, that I wouldn't be "stuck" there waiting an hour for the next train...especially if it is an unsafe area.

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, CyRail said:

Hello...

I am a train buff, and am attempting to ride every mile of Metra.    Next up are the Metra Electric routes. 

If I ride the Metra Electric Route to South Chicago Chicago 93rd Street Station during the day, and do a turn around to the next train back:

• Is the same train consist used for the return?  (I'm looking at taking the train that arrives at 1:34 p.m., and returns at 1:45 p.m.)
  • Will I be safe (Ok, I know that's an impossible question to answer, but generally speaking...?)

Regarding the same train consist, I want to make sure that if we're late arriving, that I wouldn't be "stuck" there waiting an hour for the next train...especially if it is an unsafe area.

Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about safety during the daytime. 

More than likely you would have to get off the outbound train and record even if it's the same consist.   From my riding experience  passengers can only board and ride in the lead car.  The other cars are closed.   I do know for sure, but I would imagine that the outbound train would also have limited access.  So the only slight chance you would have to stay on board is if the rear car on the outbound train was for passenger use with the first three cars being closed.   Metra Electric runs 4 car consists on the South Chicago branch all day but all cars aren't accessible except for rush hours .

2 hours ago, CyRail said:

I'm not going to comment on others' risk tolerance or on the chance of random events, but I agree with @artthouwill to the extent that South Chicago isn't the worst part of the city, compared to say around 79th St. or West Englewood.

But since @artthouwill indicates that your only view would be through the train door, one of these YouTube videos may be sufficient: Morganist; WSOR 4012 Productions.

4 hours ago, CyRail said:

Hello...

Thank you!

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

More than likely you would have to get off the outbound train and record even if it's the same consist.   From my riding experience  passengers can only board and ride in the lead car.  The other cars are closed.   I do know for sure, but I would imagine that the outbound train would also have limited access.  So the only slight chance you would have to stay on board is if the rear car on the outbound train was for passenger use with the first three cars being closed.   Metra Electric runs 4 car consists on the South Chicago branch all day but all cars aren't accessible except for rush hours .

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I'm not going to comment on others' risk tolerance or on the chance of random events, but I agree with @artthouwill to the extent that South Chicago isn't the worst part of the city, compared to say around 79th St. or West Englewood.

But since @artthouwill indicates that your only view would be through the train door, one of these YouTube videos may be sufficient: Morganist; WSOR 4012 Productions.

I was going to suggest going in the morning them at way he has the 26 to fall back on for a quick way back downtown if he misses the train. I wouldn't say it's too crazy having lived over there BUT there's nothing to do while waiting in that area 🤷

On 8/20/2024 at 8:48 AM, CyRail said:

Hello...

Thank you!

Just a follow up to the above--rides sent fine, including 93rd.  Very comfortable and safe.  Conductors very nice and welcoming.  

Thank you again everyone for the reassurances and input.   Just have the SWS, NCS, and MDN routes to ride yet, plus the McHenry short leg off the UP-NW line.  

Hopefully will complete in next year or two (I live in Wisconsin, so have to always find time to get down there.)

One other fun note, at least for me--saw the Chicago Northwestern Metra Heritage unit at Oglivie on Thursday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CyRail said:

Just a follow up to the above--rides sent fine, including 93rd.  Very comfortable and safe.  Conductors very nice and welcoming.  

Thank you again everyone for the reassurances and input.   Just have the SWS, NCS, and MDN routes to ride yet, plus the McHenry short leg off the UP-NW line.  

Hopefully will complete in next year or two (I live in Wisconsin, so have to always find time to get down there.)

One other fun note, at least for me--saw the Chicago Northwestern Metra Heritage unit at Oglivie on Thursday. 

Just curious.  Is the South Shore Line on your bucket list?  I know it's not a  "Metra" route per se and South Bend is a bit of a distance  but I wonder if you took a ride or were planning to take a ride?

Anyone know why the UP-N trains are blasting their air horns between 11:15 PM & 11:30 PM the last couple of nights between Devon & Peterson?  Very long blasts from trains in both directions.  At first I thought it might be a deer or two on the tracks that got out of Rosehill Cemetery, but not two nights in a row at the same time.  Is Metra actually doing some work there at night?

6 minutes ago, strictures said:

Anyone know why the UP-N trains are blasting their air horns between 11:15 PM & 11:30 PM the last couple of nights between Devon & Peterson?  Very long blasts from trains in both directions.  At first I thought it might be a deer or two on the tracks that got out of Rosehill Cemetery, but not two nights in a row at the same time.  Is Metra actually doing some work there at night?

I don't know,  although I don't think it would be a deer considering the fact that the train light would probably freeze the animal.  It could be some other animal or maybe someone was spotted walking on the tracks in the area.  Though it could be tracks work, if I had to guess, I would say someone has been walking on the right of way.

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know,  although I don't think it would be a deer considering the fact that the train light would probably freeze the animal.  It could be some other animal or maybe someone was spotted walking on the tracks in the area.  Though it could be tracks work, if I had to guess, I would say someone has been walking on the right of way.

But two nights in a row, at the same time?

On 8/24/2024 at 10:21 AM, CyRail said:

Make sure you do SWS and NCS in the morning. I think those became peak heavy lines but other than that enjoy 🤗

3 hours ago, strictures said:

But two nights in a row, at the same time?

It sounds crazy.  But it could be a newfound shortcut.  It's safer ( in terms of crime) than street level, not as scary as a cemetery,  and there's ample time to get off the tracks IF you spot the headlight of a train.  If the engineer spots someone or something he is going to sound the horn and notify either dispatch or any train headed to the other direction  who will also sound his horn.   The question is what are the speeds of these trains when they pass by?  If they are crawling, that might indicate trackwork .   Regular or somewhat reduced speeds may indicate  something else like someone in the tracks.  I assume that these trains both stop at Peterson and Rogers Park 

56 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It sounds crazy.  But it could be a newfound shortcut.  It's safer ( in terms of crime) than street level, not as scary as a cemetery,  and there's ample time to get off the tracks IF you spot the headlight of a train.  If the engineer spots someone or something he is going to sound the horn and notify either dispatch or any train headed to the other direction  who will also sound his horn.   The question is what are the speeds of these trains when they pass by?  If they are crawling, that might indicate trackwork .   Regular or somewhat reduced speeds may indicate  something else like someone in the tracks.  I assume that these trains both stop at Peterson and Rogers Park 

This is too farfetched. There's a construction notice. A week or 2 ago, they were sounding horns in Evanston, but not now.

38 minutes ago, strictures said:

Shortcut???

There's a viaduct every block between Devon & Peterson.

And I get the Metra notices about weekend construction, but after 11 PM?

I guess better safe than sorry. 

Crews were also out Saturday on the UP-W  in Oak Park   it appeared they were doing track work on the westbound track near or at the Oak Park station.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Crews were also out Saturday on the UP-W  in Oak Park   it appeared they were doing track work on the westbound track near or at the Oak Park station.

Trains were delayed last night due to work near Winnetka.  But again, two short horn blasts at 11{17 PM from SB #826.  BTW, the first Friday night horns went on for five minutes, which is why I thought it was deer that didn't move.

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Trains were delayed last night due to work near Winnetka.  But again, two short horn blasts at 11{17 PM from SB #826.  BTW, the first Friday night horns went on for five minutes, which is why I thought it was deer that didn't move.

I heard a horn at  10:30 p.m., although nothing is scheduled around then. I also think I heard something at 2 am, when there definitely is no passenger service.

There is no deer crossing in the area, although someone was run over on the embankment  2 years ago about  1.5 miles north..