7900 series problems.

Bridgeportbus

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'll just add my two cents to bring everything back full circle. The solution is simple as far as Nova is concerned and that is maintenance has to do a better job overall with the lower series of #7900s and #8000s. You'd hardly see buses from Chicago and FG down at SS and there is good reason for that. Also operators have to do a better job at reporting defects better because I've had several #7900s in recent months with the same defects that I wrote tickets on not getting tended to. I try my best to avoid #7900s all together because of the headache they give me. Usually the main defects are Overheating Exhaust, Broken overhead compartments and sometimes rusted out compartments, loose shields/latches that hold them in place, rear seats not being properly secured, the braking system, the suspension, broken shocks and the front overhang is just the tip of the iceberg with the beating it takes on the daily. Lastly, The city has to improve its infrastructure overall. No bus manufacture of any kind can survive on rough terrain while also being improperly maintained but I digress though. Shoutout to SS though they're doing the best they can, I don't want to make it seem like it's all on them because we the operators play a key role at getting stuff fixed around here.

On this, my guess is that you are 100% correct. History, going way back, was that Archer (no longer there) or 77th got the new buses first, 77 would run them into the ground, then send them elsewhere and get another new set of buses.

77th has fewer routes than before, but routes such as 4, 8, and 79 have to cause much more wear than anything out of FG and NP.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

So, given what @artthouwill and I said, what's your solution? Buy only Mercedes Benz buses, even though they are not qualified to sell in the US? Buy Volvo, even though they own Prevost/NovaBus? Import something from China (nobody likes BYD)?

Unless you have some solution other than the constant bus drivers' lament "[name of any bus] is junk," that's what you get with cheap talk. I also don't hear you saying anything about CTA maintenance practices.

?

No dont buy that foregin junk but what I'm sayong is the have are bulit cheap af suspension and all when I was in the shop did the front end on a few novas and replaced the entire front ends vs the NF alot of them front end parts are built right its a few NF that still have the OG front end from factory not many novas got that and which garages some of them shops do the best they can but alot of tumes they have to do bandaid work & keep ut moving 

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

On this, my guess is that you are 100% correct. History, going way back, was that Archer (no longer there) or 77th got the new buses first, 77 would run them into the ground, then send them elsewhere and get another new set of buses.

77th has fewer routes than before, but routes such as 4, 8, and 79 have to cause much more wear than anything out of FG and NP.

Halsted is probably the best route to have them since a majority of the infrastructure out there is 80% repaved and barely wearing out compared to cottage and 79th. Now outside of buses pulling in from Waveland that's where they would take a beating. Looking at the data board in the shops area you'd be surprised with what garages have the most trouble in regards to fleet maintenance. That doesn't tell the entire story though but it does give some better insight on things. The #1000s have a better time than the #7900s though that's for sure. 

20220530_170654.jpg

20220530_170704.jpg

16 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Halsted is probably the best route to have them since a majority of the infrastructure out there is 80% repaved and barely wearing out compared to cottage and 79th. Now outside of buses pulling in from Waveland that's where they would take a beating. Looking at the data board in the shops area you'd be surprised with what garages have the most trouble in regards to fleet maintenance. That doesn't tell the entire story though but it does give some better insight on things. The #1000s have a better time than the #7900s though that's for sure. 

20220530_170654.jpg

20220530_170704.jpg

Sheesh, what's going on with those repeat defects at NP? Without it, the average is 4, with it, it jumps up to 5.57.

103rd having the largest absenteeism rate is disheartening 

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

No dont buy that foregin junk but what I'm sayong is the have are bulit cheap af suspension and all when I was in the shop did the front end on a few novas and replaced the entire front ends vs the NF alot of them front end parts are built right its a few NF that still have the OG front end from factory not many novas got that and which garages some of them shops do the best they can but alot of tumes they have to do bandaid work & keep ut moving 

Maybe you have a different definition of "cheap." When Pace bid the 20400s, Nova was the high bidder.

If parts didn't meet the detailed specifications, CTA should file a claim against Nova (as it did against NABI and Detroit Diesel for clogged particulate filters). If, despite 100s of pages of specifications (note, for instance, Gillig wouldn't bid on several Pace specifications for 30' trolleys and buses), CTA didn't specify the correct suspension parts, CTA will have to eat it.