Optima Opus Prototype Delivered

Kevin

I had a dialog on "lame" but the post was pulled. However, not even I won the numerology sweepstakes:(.

The real question is that if it is 500, does it run the risk of running into the fleet numbers for the utility trucks? I knew that they were 3 digit, but don't know if they are somewhere in the 500s or 600s (since there are options for up to 125 Optimas).

I think the livery is neat, and goes better with the new logo. I don't know if it would work on the 1000s, but Optima has been more venturesome with paint.

A related question: Are Skokie Shops now being used for bus repair and acceptance, formerly the role of 77th/South Shops? This, and a lot of RIPTA's pictures, are from there.

Thanks for the picture.

Half to 103rd for U of C, half to North Park for Evanston.

I'll speculate like no other, and perhaps suggest FG on the technicality that some routes on the weekends can do without 40-footers being run throughout the city, although the feasibility is low (plus a pipe-dream). But 103 and NP seems more likely.

Having a dedicated fleet for weekends wouldn't make sense, but there are a lot of light feeders on the NW (like 64 and 69) and SW (like 55A, 55N, 62H, 63W) sides that could use them. As I previously noted, there didn't seem to be a need for 50 of them just for the U of C routes, so Evanston makes sense, and even at that, you are probably talking about only about 30 buses needed to cover both areas (maybe a few more for NP to cover 96 Lunt or the like). Since some of the north side routes don't run weekends (and 93, 96 and Evanston definitely not on Sunday), you could assign the buses to other light routes then.

Also, it isn't clear where the 75 options would go, if the options are exercised.

The usual caveat--this is speculation.:P

Channel 5 just had a story with bus 500. They said that service in the Hyde Park area will start in late July or early August, so apparently it doesn't need a long shakedown period.

The CTA Press Release is here. Now they are saying that the base order is 45, not the 50 previously announced (the old announcement had the "up to" languge, like the "up to" 25 Compobuses).

I was going to ask why those buses are that short, but the fact that they are going to serve places such as Hyde Park, Evanston, and the NW and SW sides explains it.

The buses would look fine in the scheme the CTA painted the NOVAs and the New Flyers. I'm going to hope the CTA wisens up and paints it in the better scheme.