5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

This is new to the 5000 series on the Green Lines. When I saw 5143 on Tuesday, it did not have this new Masks Required sign. When I saw it yesterday, it had the new sign. Many other 5000 series cars had it too on the Green Line. Ankin Law also appears to be sponsoring CTA's newest mask sign.

bandicam 2020-09-05 09-58-56-372.jpg

every train car starting to get em blue line was the first 

18 minutes ago, Marcin said:

Today I saw some Mask Signs on Red Line. Cars 5637-5638, 5651-5652, 5709-5710. Has anyone seen 5385-5386 because I haven't seen for a long time.

Yesterday i saw them on Brown Line it has them as well. Only on the 3200's series idk about the rest. and if your lucky. There now putting them on Busses now just saw #1773 with that Mask signage as well

18 minutes ago, Mr. Ghost Bus 1722 said:

Yesterday i saw them on Brown Line it has them as well. Only on the 3200's series idk about the rest. and if your lucky. There now putting them on Busses now just saw #1773 with that Mask signage as well

I saw also today on Routes 60, 124 Downtown

• Kevin unfeatured this topic
  • 6 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, Busjack said:

Considering that the service life of a rail  car is 30 years, it has been more than 7.5 years for the first bunch.

Well to me I hope the #5000s make it into the late 2040s into the early 2050s they are my favorites… most rail cars sit out for almost or after 40 years…. And quarter life overhauls is normal for most rail cars series I believe.

Some rail cars do retire a little after 30 years for some transit agencies depending on how fast or slow newer cars replace them.

the 2200s lasted (44 years) and the #2400s (38 years) the first batch of the #2600s made their 40 year mark. 

If options are picked up the #7000s will replace the #3200s in the mid 2020s I hope that doesn’t happen because the #3200s are one of my favorites and they are still running fine after the rehabs they’ve received.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:23 AM, Busjack said:

The 5000s began revenue service in 2011 on the Pink Line, with the Final Delivery occurring in 2015 with 5713 and 5714, which are currently Red Line assignments.

Seeing that this is only a small fraction of the fleet, most of the cars affected would be up to the mid-5200s, so mostly the fleet along the Green, Pink and a Small fraction of the Red. The Green and Pink lines interchange equipment and surprisingly, if you ever wanted to catch the first 12 "prototype" 5000s in service, check the Green Line.

Note, this is not a major mid-life rehab, but more of like how you would keep your personal vehicle tuned. The 5000s still has a long way to go up to FTA's recommended service life of 25 years and are still fairly new in industry terms.

46 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

The 5000s began revenue service in 2011 on the Pink Line, with the Final Delivery occurring in 2015 with 5713 and 5714, which are currently Red Line assignments.

Seeing that this is only a small fraction of the fleet, most of the cars affected would be up to the mid-5200s, so mostly the fleet along the Green, Pink and a Small fraction of the Red. The Green and Pink lines interchange equipment and surprisingly, if you ever wanted to catch the first 12 "prototype" 5000s in service, check the Green Line.

Note, this is not a major mid-life rehab, but more of like how you would keep your personal vehicle tuned. The 5000s still has a long way to go up to FTA's recommended service life of 25 years and are still fairly new in industry terms.

5713 and 5714 are currently assigned to the purple line

1 hour ago, Juniorz said:

So they are still getting a mid life rehab in the future?

On 8/26/2021 at 9:54 PM, NovaBusFan said:

Well to me I hope the #5000s make it into the late 2040s into the early 2050s they are my favorites… most rail cars sit out for almost or after 40 years…. And quarter life overhauls is normal for most rail cars series I believe.

Some rail cars do retire a little after 30 years for some transit agencies depending on how fast or slow newer cars replace them.

the 2200s lasted (44 years) and the #2400s (38 years) the first batch of the #2600s made their 40 year mark. 

If options are picked up the #7000s will replace the #3200s in the mid 2020s I hope that doesn’t happen because the #3200s are one of my favorites and they are still running fine after the rehabs they’ve received.

The only High Performance series to not making past 30 years mark was the 2000s which recevied no farewell