YoungBusLover Posted May 2 Report Posted May 2 12 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said: #1427 is back in service ghosting on the 94 Yeah it's been back for about a month now. I'm surprised the tracker hasn't been fixed on it yet. Quote
Erin Mishkin Jr. Posted May 2 Report Posted May 2 15 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said: Yeah it's been back for about a month now. I'm surprised the tracker hasn't been fixed on it yet. I just wrote it up on chatbot so hopefully they get it back tracking this week and same with 8050. 1 Quote
Erin Mishkin Jr. Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 On 4/28/2026 at 9:04 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said: The retirement process has slowed down very quickly and the last approx. 55 units are still active with retirements very slowly happening, maybe once or twice a month at most. Looking at any updates with active units MIA: 1803 is still on hold at SS, 1683 hasn't run since 4/22, 1783 hasn't run since 4/23, 1932 has not returned to service yet, 1653 is supposedly still on hold at FG, 1915 hasn't run since 4/18, and 2001 hasn't run since 4/22. atp i'm not even sure if 1630 is still in active service, if it is it's not tracking Not much to say besides 1783 and 1932 are back in service. 1878 is at North Park when I saw last week but has been inactive since 4/28 2001 did also return to srevice. 1 Quote
Mr.NewFlyer1279 Posted May 11 Report Posted May 11 On 5/7/2026 at 5:21 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said: Not much to say besides 1783 and 1932 are back in service. 1878 is at North Park when I saw last week but has been inactive since 4/28 2001 did also return to srevice. 1878 is in the brake shop, 1653 might be done from what it seems but time will tell that bus is still at the glen Quote
Bus1517 Posted May 11 Report Posted May 11 #1223 was involved in a possible shootout just today on the 3 king drive route. Quote
Erin Mishkin Jr. Posted May 12 Report Posted May 12 14 hours ago, Bus1517 said: #1223 was involved in a possible shootout just today on the 3 king drive route. It’s back in service on the 4 Quote
Javi75 Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 Just curious what is the average mileage on the oldest 1000s like the 1200s in particular. Quote
Sam92 Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 2 hours ago, Javi75 said: Just curious what is the average mileage on the oldest 1000s like the 1200s in particular. Someone said they've seen like 400,000 if I'm not mistaken but this was on the 6400s in their last days Quote
Busjack Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 20 minutes ago, Sam92 said: Someone said they've seen like 400,000 if I'm not mistaken but this was on the 6400s in their last days Some operator would have to answer this one, but they are FTA rated at 12 years or 500,000 miles, and these are something like 17-19 years old and in heavy use, so I would guess more. But I guess that's what hubometers are for. Quote
Bus1883 Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 2 hours ago, Javi75 said: Just curious what is the average mileage on the oldest 1000s like the 1200s in particular. Some were at about 500k the last time I checked. However during the 2013 rehabs they were reset. 1 Quote
Sam92 Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 1 hour ago, Bus1883 said: Some were at about 500k the last time I checked. However during the 2013 rehabs they were reset. Holy crap they were 6 years young than the 6400s!  3 hours ago, Javi75 said: Just curious what is the average mileage on the oldest 1000s like the 1200s in particular. Heck don't forget the 1930s probably are among the highest mileage too with them spending most of their lives at C or 7 Quote
Busjack Posted May 13 Report Posted May 13 1 hour ago, Sam92 said: Holy crap they were 6 years young than the 6400s!  Heck don't forget the 1930s probably are among the highest mileage too with them spending most of their lives at C or 7 Except about 50 left at FG until the 8350s, most got retired when the 7900s were received, and thus most 6400s had fairly normal lives for CTA. C had 1300s, and then 1000s from Archer before there were any 1900s, and 77th constantly ran 1200s into the ground, and those are expected to soldier on for another 7 years, while most over 1630 are toast. On @Bus1883's point, resetting odometers is illegal, except that CTA never resells buses to the public. But if they knocked 7 years off the buses' 18 years of use, that would get then somewhere around 800K miles. Quote
YoungBusLover Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 #1256 was around 500k miles back in 2021 so I would assume most are between 600k - 750k miles now. Most of the lower 7900s are slowly getting to 400k miles during there mid-life overhauls they're receiving right now.  Quote
Sam92 Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 18 hours ago, Busjack said: Except about 50 left at FG until the 8350s, most got retired when the 7900s were received, and thus most 6400s had fairly normal lives for CTA. C had 1300s, and then 1000s from Archer before there were any 1900s, and 77th constantly ran 1200s into the ground, and those are expected to soldier on for another 7 years, while most over 1630 are toast. On @Bus1883's point, resetting odometers is illegal, except that CTA never resells buses to the public. But if they knocked 7 years off the buses' 18 years of use, that would get then somewhere around 800K miles. What series holds the record for service life? These look like they're going to beat the 6000's at this point. Quote
Mr.cta85 Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 5 minutes ago, Sam92 said: What series holds the record for service life? These look like they're going to beat the 6000's at this point. If you’re talking about the 6000 flxibles then the flyers already surpassed them up in service as they’re 20yrs in now. The 6000’s were in service from 95-2010 and a few came back in 2011. The 6400 novas also did like 20-21 yrs of service as well. I think the flyers will be around at least till 2030. Quote
EasyMoney Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 20 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said: If you’re talking about the 6000 flxibles then the flyers already surpassed them up in service as they’re 20yrs in now. The 6000’s were in service from 95-2010 and a few came back in 2011. The 6400 novas also did like 20-21 yrs of service as well. I think the flyers will be around at least till 2030. I’m going to be sad when the flyers finally get retired life comes full circle use to ride them as a kid now I operate them 1 Quote
Sam92 Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 18 minutes ago, EasyMoney said: I’m going to be sad when the flyers finally get retired life comes full circle use to ride them as a kid now I operate them I was a freshman when 103rd got them 🧓 Quote
Mr.cta85 Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 3 hours ago, EasyMoney said: I’m going to be sad when the flyers finally get retired life comes full circle use to ride them as a kid now I operate them I feel you the flyers and 6000 series are my favorite buses. I came a yr after the 6000’s were officially retired and I’ll always hate that fact lol. But at least I’ve had my whole 14 yrs so far at cta to operate the flyers and I don’t take them for granted whenever I operate one. They’re really good buses even still. Quote
EasyMoney Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 36 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said: I feel you the flyers and 6000 series are my favorite buses. I came a yr after the 6000’s were officially retired and I’ll always hate that fact lol. But at least I’ve had my whole 14 yrs so far at cta to operate the flyers and I don’t take them for granted whenever I operate one. They’re really good buses even still. Yeah the flyers are the best even against the 8350 novas also the 7500 NABI Artics Were my  favorite before they got retired due to safety reasons Quote
Erin Mishkin Jr. Posted May 14 Report Posted May 14 On 4/29/2026 at 3:54 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said: #1683 is at SS, probably retired? Need to confirm Good news #1683 has returned to service Quote
Rhys Pate Posted May 15 Report Posted May 15 Have any retired 1000s departed CTA property for scrapping or any other reason? Quote
Bus1883 Posted May 15 Report Posted May 15 4 hours ago, Rhys Pate said: Have any retired 1000s departed CTA property for scrapping or any other reason? No Quote
Rhys Pate Posted May 15 Report Posted May 15 1 hour ago, Bus1883 said: No Interesting. Will departures for scrapping or any other reason begin soon (since there are so many retired units)? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.