Old Cars - Last Chance

trainman8119

Word came out today that the last day of operation for the old highliners (1500-1600 series) will be February 12. There are only a few left (maybe 18-24) and currently run only on zone trains in rush hour. After that date, they will be retired and word has it they will be stored on one of the new storage tracks at Van Buren St until further disposition is decided. No word on the previous rumor that some were going to be held on to for emergencies, but that seems pretty unlikely now.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:07 PM, Busjack said:

Are those that are left only the Bombardier cars, or also some St. Louis? Or doesn't it matter any more?

Actually both.

Also, I just heard that the last trip is scheduled to depart Randolph St at 10:30 am (train 117) with the big shots on board and when that train returns (train 120 leaving UP at 11:57) around 1:00 pm that will be it, they will be officially retired.

**UPDATE**  The return run will be with new cars waiting at UP. The old equipment will run non revenue back downtown upon arrival at UP

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

What a sad day. This equipment has been a big part of my entire life. My grandfather and uncle both worked for the I.C.  My first memories of going downtown were on the highliners at Christmas. My dad took them downtown to work every day and I've been riding them to work now for 26 years myself. Wish I could have made that final run.

• Upvote 3

Some people on this board wondered why the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco, Texas, would be interested in getting Highliners.   Well, they've just put out a press release saying what they plan to do with their ten cars.

http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/Home/News/tabid/61/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/98/Stream-Liner-Rolls-into-Frisco.aspx

R. W. Schauer

• Upvote 1