Garage operation (Route 992) now viewable

pudgym29

It appears CTA's Clever Devices boxes now transmit their bus' locations when in non-revenue service. The line is called Route 992. It will appear on bus service lists such as [url=http://busfinder.byronasaurus.com/]Busfinder and [url=http://maths22.com/cta/]maths22's 7900-series finder. View the screen shot beneath with a 4000-series bus moving within the Chicago garage.

route992-001.jpg

39 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

It appears CTA's Clever Devices boxes now transmit their bus' locations when in non-revenue service. The line is called Route 992. It will appear on bus service lists such as [url=http://busfinder.byronasaurus.com/]Busfinder and [url=http://maths22.com/cta/]maths22's 7900-series finder. View the screen shot beneath with a 4000-series bus moving within the Chicago garage.

route992-001.jpg

It's possible that it's just a temporary glitch with Bus Tracker. I do see 992 ROAD CALL in the drop down list, but once CTA Brass notices it, they'll have their IT Dept. upload a patch to the system hiding 992 again. CTA doesn't want the public to know where out of service buses are moving to, I'm sure.

Enjoy it while it lasts....

If it stays like that, one use I could see for it is for something like route #19 buses leaving the United Center after a Bulls or Hawks home game or some other big United Center event. For whatever reason that route doesn't always track eastbound after events. It might also be of use for seeing how far away a bus is from entering service on a route after leaving from the garage. From experience sometimes commuting at early morning times when buses for a route are entering service at a point from a garage deadhead, a lot of times you don't know the bus is going to be at that stop until it's right there about to turn onto the street for service.

What pudgym didn't explain is that 992-ROAD CALL is on the route list on the Bus Tracker map:

992.thumb.jpg.dc6f122a755dc08649bdd6da0c

However, all I get at the moment for it is:

569d7e4f54ea5_roadcall.jpg.93ddc7c82b7bb

Given the other methods he listed, this apparently is  game of chance finding something. It isn't like Pace showing off route buses in garages.

I managed to see 1714 I think it was sitting at Kedzie and seeing 1733 sitting at 74th as well as 1013 at Chicago Garage. There is a dot that shows in the Chicago Garage driveway that shows as stop 18144 for 992 ROAD CALL and one at Division/Pulaski labeled as 18145.

14 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I think you misread that, the typo "992 to Kedize Garage" is in the BusTracker image.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

All of them shown on the map as "to" garage have been "in" garage.

See this "route progress."

77.thumb.jpg.31271558b859917865957b40d41

Well it's quite likely because the buses in question had their respect garage names displayed in their destination signs, i.e. "KEDZIE GARAGE", "CHICAGO GARAGE", "74TH GARAGE", etc. So in that sense BusTracker isn't showing a typo when showing a bus displaying "TO XX Garage". By the way I've seen a couple Kedzie Garage buses displaying on 992 just after exiting the Ike at Homan from a deadhead out of downtown or on Van Buren just before pulling into the garage. So they were near the garage but not quite sitting in the garage yet.

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well it's quite likely because the buses in question had their respect garage names displayed in their destination signs, i.e. "KEDZIE GARAGE", "CHICAGO GARAGE", "74TH GARAGE", etc. So in that sense BusTracker isn't showing a typo when showing a bus displaying "TO XX Garage". By the way I've seen a couple Kedzie Garage buses displaying on 992 just after exiting the Ike at Homan from a deadhead out of downtown or on Van Buren just before pulling into the garage. So they were near the garage but not quite sitting in the garage yet.

Let me clarify this. The typo I mentioned was that Kedzie is incorrectly spelled "Kedize" on BusTracker for buses that are going there (or are already there). Hence the joke was about a "new garage" called KEDIZE.

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news, Forum Members....

Someone mentioned to the CTA about 992-ROAD CALL, and it looks like it's a glitch that has been removed from Bustracker....

From Facebook...

Christopher J Marz
February 9 at 4:25pm

Hello, not sure if anyone at CTA noticed this. If you go on Bus Tracker, there is a route at the bottom of the menu called 992- ROAD CALL. Seems like this is buses that aren't in service or, as it is labeled, road calls. Just thought I'd point this out in case it was a glitch. See More

1 CommentLike · Comment

Comments
Chicago Transit Authority Thanks for the heads up, Christopher! It was a glitch caused by a minor setting issue; we have resolved and no longer shows.

On 2/12/2016 at 10:55 PM, sw4400 said:

Bad news, Forum Members....

Someone mentioned to the CTA about 992-ROAD CALL, and it looks like it's a glitch that has been removed from Bustracker....

From Facebook...

Christopher J Marz
February 9 at 4:25pm

Hello, not sure if anyone at CTA noticed this. If you go on Bus Tracker, there is a route at the bottom of the menu called 992- ROAD CALL. Seems like this is buses that aren't in service or, as it is labeled, road calls. Just thought I'd point this out in case it was a glitch. See More

1 CommentLike · Comment

Comments
Chicago Transit Authority Thanks for the heads up, Christopher! It was a glitch caused by a minor setting issue; we have resolved and no longer shows.

Spilling the beans on Mr. Marz sw? xD

But leave it to who some would call a busybody to spoil it. It was fun while it lasted.