Metra ex CNW bilevels

4 hours ago, Busjack said:
  1. This isn't a WSMTD car (which was my point  about the car being Metra property).
  2. From the inventory @andrethebusman posted, there no longer is WSMTD property.
  3. I don't know where BNSF and SWS maintenance are done, but Metra Milw and UP work appear to be done at the same Metra shop at Western Ave.

Correct on the car - if it follows the other couple that are floating around, it will probably head back to Western Ave and eventually cycle into the Milw/NCS pool.  As for the equipment shops, here's how I believe it works:

• All currently in-service equipment is OWNED by Metra, but is MAINTAINED by either Metra, BNSF, or UP.
  • Equipment in the BNSF/SWS pool is operated and maintained by BNSF, whose yard and shops are just south of Union Station (it's the old CB&Q Zephyr Pit).
  • Equipment in the Milw/NCS and HC pools are maintained by Metra at Western Ave (assuming previously a Milwaukee Road facility but don't know for sure).  If you see a trainset oriented "backwards" north of Union Station, it's a HC trainset heading to or from Western Ave.
  • Equipment in UP pool is operated and maintained by UP, at the California Ave coach yard and M19A shops (old C&NW facility)

The UP and Milw yards & shops are very near each other, but only coincidentally so; they're not actually connected.  They're both located just west of Tower A2.  The Milwaukee mains separate the UP yard and shops (California Ave/M19A; between the UP and Milw mains) from the Milwaukee yard and shops (north of the Milwaukee mains).  The division is clearly visible in this view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8906339,-87.695674,16.22z.

For this specific car and why it was near Roosevelt Rd, I'm assuming it was just in transit.  KYD is the last shop on the system that can still do paint for the Pullmans since they were still painting the old Highliners until just recently (California Ave hasn't had to since the last Pullmans were originally retired circa 2005), and all of the Pullmans that have come back that need any more than touch-up work have been sent to and from KYD for paint.

55 minutes ago, Eric95 said:

The Milwaukee mains separate the UP yard and shops (California Ave/M19A; between the UP and Milw mains) from the Milwaukee yard and shops (north of the Milwaukee mains). 

I knew (from riding the Milw N) that the yards were separate, but wasn't sure about the shops. The Milw building is SO big.  

What's strange is that the paint job isn't completely done on this car, as you can see in the photo.  There's still masking tape visible, coverings on the windows, and other details unfinished.  Why bring this one not-ready-for-prime-time car all the way north from Kensington and park it on a Burlington yard lead? 

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

7664 on SWS:

I think that's a first...

Also, thanks to this info and observations I made today, I can give a complete profile on the rest of this group:

- 7659, 7661, VRE V425 (7663), VRE V412 (7675), VRE V429 (7653) - coupled together in Western Ave, somewhat hidden behind a line of retired Highliners; 7659 and 7661 have the new paint.

- VRE V422 (7657) - also at Western, coupled behind 611 and 614

11 hours ago, Pace831 said:

7664 on SWS:

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.1f6e54316b38e977a9c93adb45169091.JPG

Shows why the new design doesn't work on the cars. Besides that the upsweep should be on the end, the orange and maroon stripes don't line up with those on the locomotive.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Shows why the new design doesn't work on the cars. Besides that the upsweep should be on the end, the orange and maroon stripes don't line up with those on the locomotive.

I actually didn't think it looked too bad in person, maybe because of the shiny new paint. But looking at the pictures brings me back to my original post on the subject.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

Maybe some alleged genius at Metra thinks that the passengers are stupid & need a way to find the center of the coaches, where the doors are?

3 hours ago, strictures said:

Maybe some alleged genius at Metra thinks that the passengers are stupid & need a way to find the center of the coaches, where the doors are?

My surmise is that it would then point down.

My theory is that from day one, Metra has been concerned  with  branding and has not been good at it. And I don't think branding counts for much on maybe a dozen cars when customers have little choice and only care about getting a seat. As @Pace831 indicted, being shiny may be sufficient.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:37 PM, Eric95 said:

I think that's a first...

Also, thanks to this info and observations I made today, I can give a complete profile on the rest of this group:

- 7659, 7661, VRE V425 (7663), VRE V412 (7675), VRE V429 (7653) - coupled together in Western Ave, somewhat hidden behind a line of retired Highliners; 7659 and 7661 have the new paint.

- VRE V422 (7657) - also at Western, coupled behind 611 and 614

Hmmm you mentioned the F40c's this is interesting. It would be nice if metra could get these rehabbed and back into full service. I always liked them because they were unique in many ways. Anyways

IMG_1020.thumb.JPG.46b906a70b911dc9e81c684e7504d323.JPG

When I went by on Monday (Memorial Day, so no train service), 7664 was in the same position that I photographed it on Friday. This morning (Tuesday) it had been left in the yard by itself, the doors were open and they were working on it. I have never seen a single car set out at this location so I guess a mechanical problem must have been discovered before the train left in the morning.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Metra is short. It wouldn't replace a 15 year old car with a 65 or so year old one

I think he meant "what car was on the train set previously", but I don't know the answer. I can try to see what is there now if I go past there before it gets dark.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, strictures said:

It wasn't a cab car, it was the second car behind the engine. I rode it on Tuesday.   It also didn't have the old flip over C&NW seats that had a metal back & upholstery on just one side, but the current seats that just flip back & forth with upholstery on both sides.

I just don't get why Metra didn't totally sand down & completely eliminate the VRE number which was at the coach end & not near the doors like Metra does it.

As I understand it, some of those cars are not being painted, but wrapped (similar to what Pace did with the Nabis). If you saw a VRE number showing through, that is probably why. Also, they are not being repaired for service real well as there are many with roof leaks and a/c that doesn't work. Don't run too fast to sit in them on a hot day.

I will agree, this color scheme is horrible on these coaches. But that is what the geniuses in the ivory tower like, so that is what it is.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2018 at 12:15 AM, Pace831 said:

7664 was put back on the train for Wednesday morning's rush hour. During the day it was exchanged for another car, so I'm not sure where it is now or if they fixed the problem.

Still on the SWS, but moved to the 8 car set at 179th (previously was on the 5 car set).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...