Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NewFlyerMCI

Auburn Park Metra Station

Recommended Posts

Replacement for the Auburn Park station at 78th closed early 80s for lack of use. Will Hamilton Park and Englewood be next? History is repeating itself here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the demand for the new station there with the 79th Res Line about 3/4 mile away.

I mean, Gresham and 95th (Beverly) aren't too far away from their Red Line stations, and I suspect Auburn Park's ridership will be similar as well. It'll certainly be faster ride downtown and it would be my preferred option to get downtown (esp. if this cook county subsidization plans is enacted). Whenever I'm home, I already vastly prefer taking the ME downtown over the 3, 4 or Red/Green lines, esp. since I can just Divvy over to 75th. However, the RI isn't the ME and while I wouldn't have advocated for this from the jump, if they have the numbers and they like them, why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is very much a mindset out there that "Metra is better". In many eyes the L is the province of the hoi polloi, the great unwashed masses, while Metra is where the "better" folks go. The suit and tie crowd doesn't think highly of the CTA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

There is very much a mindset out there that "Metra is better". In many eyes the L is the province of the hoi polloi, the great unwashed masses, while Metra is where the "better" folks go. The suit and tie crowd doesn't think highly of the CTA

 

What relevance does that have to the topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pace831 said:

What relevance does that have to the topic?

If you read the topic he's obviously answering the question that arose of why people would think metra needs a station on 79th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

If you read the topic he's obviously answering the question that arose of why people would think metra needs a station on 79th

Way to state the obvious. If that’s actually his assertion (I’ll let @andrethebusman confirm or deny), I fail to see how his “evidence” supports it. And it should be clear that I wouldn’t have asked the question if I hadn’t read the topic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I mean, Gresham and 95th (Beverly) aren't too far away from their Red Line stations, and I suspect Auburn Park's ridership will be similar as well. It'll certainly be faster ride downtown and it would be my preferred option to get downtown (esp. if this cook county subsidization plans is enacted). Whenever I'm home, I already vastly prefer taking the ME downtown over the 3, 4 or Red/Green lines, esp. since I can just Divvy over to 75th. However, the RI isn't the ME and while I wouldn't have advocated for this from the jump, if they have the numbers and they like them, why not?

Gresham is about a mile away from  87th street Red Line station and doesn't seem to be doing great.  However,  95th Beverly is 2 1/4 miles away from 95th Red Line.  With only Brainerd, Gresham, and 35fh as stops, that is a much more attractive option.  By the time rider A takes the bus and gets to the Red Line, rider B that takes Metra is at least at 35th already.  Note that the 95th/Vincennes and 103rd/Vincennes stations don't do great, even as rush hour stops.  Compare that to the Oak Park UP-W station where most rush hour trains STOP there.  UP-W does nearly as well as CTA does at the same stop (Harlem Green Line).  

This also speaks for Mayor Lightfoot's opposition to Preckwinkle's subsidy pilot program as the best outcome for the Auburn station is to steal ridership from CTA.  What Iak Park and Hyde Park have that Auburn doesn't is high density.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Gresham is about a mile away from  87th street Red Line station and doesn't seem to be doing great.  However,  95th Beverly is 2 1/4 miles away from 95th Red Line.  With only Brainerd, Gresham, and 35fh as stops, that is a much more attractive option.  By the time rider A takes the bus and gets to the Red Line, rider B that takes Metra is at least at 35th already.  Note that the 95th/Vincennes and 103rd/Vincennes stations don't do great, even as rush hour stops.  Compare that to the Oak Park UP-W station where most rush hour trains STOP there.  UP-W does nearly as well as CTA does at the same stop (Harlem Green Line).  

This also speaks for Mayor Lightfoot's opposition to Preckwinkle's subsidy pilot program as the best outcome for the Auburn station is to steal ridership from CTA.  What Iak Park and Hyde Park have that Auburn doesn't is high density.

The addition of Auburn Park isn't going to hurt the RI for time (and I also suspect that the only trains to stop there are ones that would already stop at Gresham). I see your point however, especially in regards to the subsidy pilot program. I also hadn't considered other CTA/Metra pairs, so thank you for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn Park got closed down what 30 years ago now for lack of business. Basically it did ok until the Ryan L opened. And let's be real, old Auburn Park station was at best rather creepy, especially if there were only a couple people getting on or off the train. The Ryan L tremendously changed travel patterns on the far south side, including dramatically cutting riding on the IC Electric south of Hyde Park to Kensington. Now the pendulum is swinging back. Instead of the half-dead RI commuter cars straight out of the 20s competing with a brand new L, you have pretty nice commuter cars competing with an L that is getting a pretty bad reputation for petty crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thomas88 said:

It remembers me recent Chicago news about Murphysboro Education Association strike on October 3, which they had to announce, but did it not so much clear for people to hear them, I think. (here is the resource: https://chicagomorningstar.com/murphysboro-education-association-announces-strike-on-october-3). Do you really think they gonna get what they demand?

What are you saying and in what relation to the topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...