Supplemental Hodgkins UPS service not using Pace

BusHunter

Kind of interesting, my company is running charters tonight following the ups pace routes. At first I thought maybe they were canning the 390s routes but I think the service is supplemental. Its overnight service probably because Christmas is coming and shipping is about to go  through the roof. Ups must be running 3 shifts. Kind of weird they have instructed us we cant use the cta pace facilities like 95th/ryan or midway orange line. So they instructed us to pick up outside the terminal on the adjacent street. Our buses have no fare boxes so what the ride is free? Our charter service charges by mile and by time. We religiously record our whereabouts. Just thought I'd share this with the community. 

Was also listening to stories about one of our depots that uses Pace buses. Pace has the power to refuse a driver if he or she does not perform up to Pace bus standards. I found that interesting too. Too bad Pace wouldnt send some eldorkos by us. But I'll probably be in the mass transit workforce before too much longer anyway. Should be an interesting night. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Our buses have no fare boxes so what the ride is free?

UPS employees already ride Pace for free because UPS subsidizes the routes to Hodgkins. Your impression seems correct that they are chartering extra seasonal service.

Are you providing capacity relief for Pace, or do seasonal employees have different shift change times?

On 11/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, Pace831 said:

UPS employees already ride Pace for free because UPS subsidizes the routes to Hodgkins. Your impression seems correct that they are chartering extra seasonal service.

Are you providing capacity relief for Pace, or do seasonal employees have different shift change times?

Well our pickup times are set so I'm assuming the employee shift times are set. I was talking with another driver and it's a service our company provides every year so it's not unusual just maybe for me cause this is my first winter with them. I was assigned a route. It's pretty cool going to UPS Hodgkins if you've never been they have bus shelters on the UPS property and were not talking JC Decaux type shelters but big installations like a mini elgin transportation center complete with indoor shelter. That's what it reminds me of. I wonder if Pace built that or UPS? Kind of funny I went to the first terminal and got out of the seat to do my walk for sleepers and i'm staring at a few more workers. They said to me there's another station on the other side of the property!! ? I've been to Addison UPS with Uber and Hodgkins is at least 5 times that size. So when you order on Amazon or whatever and it comes UPS it most likely will go through Hodgkins.

Talking about buses, the #395 was running so the question remains for me is SW closed overnight and for some reason the union there doesnt want Pace sw to do the service overnight? Weird we had service from 95th/Ryan that night. So I don't get that. We don't seem to serve the Green line/Cicero line. I think that's #392. Were serving the Orange line. There's 5 charters each one does it's own line. I think we do the 69th/Ryan one also. That night I was told not to enter the terminal so I didn't and discovered no one would board my bus so I scouted. Saw a delivery truck in the terminal so came on in myself. I told my passengers the story. They laughed saying how in the world was you going to pick us up? That's a good question my friend!! LOL!!?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well our pickup times are set so I'm assuming the employee shift times are set. I was talking with another driver and it's a service our company provides every year so it's not unusual just maybe for me cause this is my first winter with them. I was assigned a route. It's pretty cool going to UPS Hodgkins if you've never been they have bus shelters on the UPS property and were not talking JC Decaux type shelters but big installations like a mini elgin transportation center complete with indoor shelter. That's what it reminds me of. I wonder if Pace built that or UPS? Kind of funny I went to the first terminal and got out of the seat to do my walk for sleepers and i'm staring at a few more workers. They said to me there's another station on the other side of the property!! ? I've been to Addison UPS with Uber and Hodgkins is at least 5 times that size. So when you order on Amazon or whatever and it comes UPS it most likely will go through Hodgkins.

Talking about buses, the #395 was running so the question remains for me is SW closed overnight and for some reason the union there doesnt want Pace sw to do the service overnight? Weird we had service from 95th/Ryan that night. So I don't get that. We don't seem to serve the Green line/Cicero line. I think that's #392. Were serving the Orange line. There's 5 charters each one does it's own line. I think we do the 69th/Ryan one also. That night I was told not to enter the terminal so I didn't and discovered no one would board my bus so I scouted. Saw a delivery truck in the terminal so came on in myself. I told my passengers the story. They laughed saying how in the world was you going to pick us up? That's a good question my friend!! LOL!!?

Last I remember,  the 395 was split between South and Southwest,  especially the night shift buses.  I think SW operated the 395 and South operated the 395 express trips.

How many extras are you guys operating?  I'm surprised that SW, S, or even Heritage couldn't provide some extras for overnights.  Also it seems like CTA could also provide some extras.  This brings me to the 169.  I know 103rd uses artics on that route, but is CTA providing extras there also?

On 11/10/2019 at 8:49 PM, BusHunter said:

Kind of interesting, my company is running charters tonight following the ups pace routes. At first I thought maybe they were canning the 390s routes but I think the service is supplemental. Its overnight service probably because Christmas is coming and shipping is about to go  through the roof. Ups must be running 3 shifts. Kind of weird they have instructed us we cant use the cta pace facilities like 95th/ryan or midway orange line. So they instructed us to pick up outside the terminal on the adjacent street. Our buses have no fare boxes so what the ride is free? Our charter service charges by mile and by time. We religiously record our whereabouts. Just thought I'd share this with the community. 

Was also listening to stories about one of our depots that uses Pace buses. Pace has the power to refuse a driver if he or she does not perform up to Pace bus standards. I found that interesting too. Too bad Pace wouldnt send some eldorkos by us. But I'll probably be in the mass transit workforce before too much longer anyway. Should be an interesting night. 

I’m surprised these UPS routes still exist, I would’t be surprised if UPS were to privatize these routes in the future and hire a charter company full-time (similar to the many private shuttle operations in the Loop). I’d imagine it would be cheaper to hire a company like Aries vs. CTA/Pace especially when it comes to labor costs, this has been done many times recently, most recent was the #132 Goose Island (route still exists, just private buses now). 

Just out of curiosity, did your company use motor coaches or regular transits for this operation? For the UPS workers, a motor coach would be a nice upgrade.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, artthouwill said:

Last I remember,  the 395 was split between South and Southwest,  especially the night shift buses.  I think SW operated the 395 and South operated the 395 express trips.

How many extras are you guys operating?  I'm surprised that SW, S, or even Heritage couldn't provide some extras for overnights.  Also it seems like CTA could also provide some extras.  This brings me to the 169.  I know 103rd uses artics on that route, but is CTA providing extras there also?

All the #395s were south buses they were all natural gas buses. Dont that come out of red line 95th. I dont get that. Its like its double booked. Like I said we were running 5 extras each it's own route. For some reason sw seems closed at that time. We just run motor coaches nothing extravagant. Best buses in the yard serve our downtown charter service. Leather seats, private bucket seats, tinted windows. It reminds me of the high end pace novas or Eldorado highway service. Pretty cool driving buses, you get to see the operation of yard personnel. They waste alot of gas when they have to run buses in the cold. My bus is burning twice as much now. What can you do? If you cant run operations you are sunk. 

Well it just got more interesting this week we are doing daily afternoon service through at least xmas. I've been assigned it but I'm doing a different route. Were running shuttles to 95th red line and midway. Spied one of our buses doing a cicero/lake trip too. Its been pretty good. I've been talking with the workers finding out the operations at ups. They have a bunch of garage bays for repair of trucks they have cabs on the property ready to go. The otr side of the business is going through here. It's like a south shops over there. The worker told me that ups hodgkins has a workforce of 3000 people wow!! Our garage is pretty good size about 150 to 200 buses but in our company one garage is double that. I'm practically driving every day now for ups except maybe Saturday and the jury is still out on that. The workers there dont seem to like the pace service they said they drop you off but dont pick you up. They are probably interlines or just trippers hitting the gridlock on the tri state. Overall i like driving buses. Probably I'll be doing this the rest of my life. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well it just got more interesting this week we are doing daily afternoon service through at least xmas. I've been assigned it but I'm doing a different route. Were running shuttles to 95th red line and midway. Spied one of our buses doing a cicero/lake trip too. Its been pretty good. I've been talking with the workers finding out the operations at ups. They have a bunch of garage bays for repair of trucks they have cabs on the property ready to go. The otr side of the business is going through here. It's like a south shops over there. The worker told me that ups hodgkins has a workforce of 3000 people wow!! Our garage is pretty good size about 150 to 200 buses but in our company one garage is double that. I'm practically driving every day now for ups except maybe Saturday and the jury is still out on that. The workers there dont seem to like the pace service they said they drop you off but dont pick you up. They are probably interlines or just trippers hitting the gridlock on the tri state. Overall i like driving buses. Probably I'll be doing this the rest of my life. 

Unrelated, but I'm glad to see you've found your calling, or at least one you can enjoy for a while!

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Between driving transits and motorcoaches, I definitely enjoyed motorcoaches more.  I refused to drive school buses.  Maybe that wasn't wise, but I didn't like them.  At least you enjoy your job.  Kudos to you. 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, artthouwill said:

Between driving transits and motorcoaches, I definitely enjoyed motorcoaches more.  I refused to drive school buses.  Maybe that wasn't wise, but I didn't like them.  At least you enjoy your job.  Kudos to you. 

Getting more exciting yet. Now they are doubling up buses. Service is picking up. Doing another new route. They claim their is  gonna be a chicago heights route. Closer it gets to xmas more crazy it will probably get. Boss says we get 3 hrs minimum pay per trip. Works for me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 8:26 PM, BusHunter said:

Getting more exciting yet. Now they are doubling up buses. Service is picking up. Doing another new route. They claim their is  gonna be a chicago heights route. Closer it gets to xmas more crazy it will probably get. Boss says we get 3 hrs minimum pay per trip. Works for me. 

You can thank all xmas eBay/Amazon/Online ordering for those extra shifts @ UPS and the same.

It ALL trickles down to everyone. 

Including our fellow bus drivers ;)

On 12/17/2019 at 5:21 AM, chitowndude84 said:

You can thank all xmas eBay/Amazon/Online ordering for those extra shifts @ UPS and the same.

It ALL trickles down to everyone. 

Including our fellow bus drivers ;)

I was told amazon is doing its own delivering this year. That's why we've been seeing all these amazon trucks. They are not using UPS. I guess it's better than last year. I was seeing a bunch of Uhaul vans doing it last year. That can get expensive. Trouble is on the charter end it's hurting us. They pulled the contract yesterday for this reason. So it was fun while it lasted. I'm doing a charter for someone else so I'm good. Business was good two weeks ago but it just slacked off. We went from buses that were a full house to half full. Trouble is UPS leaves its workers in a lurch. Communication was poor on there end with there employees. I was told employees were being told the service was over and i was still picking them up. Then I was getting charters that had 3 drops so I should have figured the writing is on the wall. Normally my company said last year they would charter through early jan. Was fun seeing 103rd operations though. It is me or do the new novas get ran on 95th alot. I see alot of them on the #95.

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I was told amazon is doing its own delivering this year. That's why we've been seeing all these amazon trucks. They are not using UPS. I guess it's better than last year. I was seeing a bunch of Uhaul vans doing it last year. That can get expensive. Trouble is on the charter end it's hurting us. They pulled the contract yesterday for this reason. So it was fun while it lasted. I'm doing a charter for someone else so I'm good. Business was good two weeks ago but it just slacked off. We went from buses that were a full house to half full. Trouble is UPS leaves its workers in a lurch. Communication was poor on there end with there employees. I was told employees were being told the service was over and i was still picking them up. Then I was getting charters that had 3 drops so I should have figured the writing is on the wall. Normally my company said last year they would charter through early jan. Was fun seeing 103rd operations though. It is me or do the new novas get ran on 95th alot. I see alot of them on the #95.

I usually see them on the 95, 29 and 34/119

14 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah they make sure to have 4 on route in time for the transition to N5 serivice same with having 2 on N34