Boston Xcelsior on the Tri state (I-294) today.

Well I was on the tri state (I-294), I notice this Xcelsior behind me so I slow down let it pass me damned if it's not a Boston Xcelsior!! I took a couple shots. I guess there may be pandemics and protests but life goes on. The bus had to travel through minneapolis, probably went down 294 to get away from chicago. If it would have went down the kennedy it might have ended up in oz the way our city has been the last few days. It's been through alot already, but the Ohio and Penn legs are huge. I drove to Niagara and it takes all day to go through those states. Thought you guys would be interested. 

20200531_164007.thumb.jpg.25eea8dfbfa961dcaf4da7029bfe3154.jpg20200531_163834.thumb.jpg.f51195e30e4d977b6b2a8d15a2682640.jpg

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well I was on the tri state (I-294), I notice this Xcelsior behind me so I slow down let it pass me damned if it's not a Boston Xcelsior!! I took a couple shots. I guess there may be pandemics and protests but life goes on. The bus had to travel through minneapolis, probably went down 294 to get away from chicago. If it would have went down the kennedy it might have ended up in oz the way our city has been the last few days. It's been through alot already, but the Ohio and Penn legs are huge. I drove to Niagara and it takes all day to go through those states. Thought you guys would be interested. 

20200531_164007.thumb.jpg.25eea8dfbfa961dcaf4da7029bfe3154.jpg20200531_163834.thumb.jpg.f51195e30e4d977b6b2a8d15a2682640.jpg

Same model as our new pace bus here?

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

I think they are different models. Boston has the XDE40 (hybrid), while Pace has the XD40 (diesel-only). They do look pretty much the same from the outside, because Pace ordered their XD40s with the extended roof fairings that come standard on the XDE40.

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I don't think they drove through Minneapolis or St Paul either.  I'm pretty sure they used the I- 694 bypass which runs north of both cities.  It's actually a little faster than going through the Cities.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I was just gonna mention that. So what the bus never made it to Boston? You have to admit the maiden voyage is on the highway transporting the vehicle. So if there are any manufacturing defects on the parts side or assembly they will show up then. 

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted a WMATA bus being delivered last tuesday up around Janesville, Wisconsin so those buses are coming from up north. Seems weird seeing those here. There was an order for CNG's for WMATA. I think this may be that order. here is a link to that order.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/vehicles/gas-diesel-cng-lng/press-release/21106104/new-flyer-wmata-orders-110-buses-from-new-flyer

Being that they will get diesels, I wonder if the order can possibly come from Anniston and up north.

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Spotted a WMATA bus being delivered last tuesday up around Janesville, Wisconsin so those buses are coming from up north. Seems weird seeing those here. There was an order for CNG's for WMATA. I think this may be that order. here is a link to that order.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/vehicles/gas-diesel-cng-lng/press-release/21106104/new-flyer-wmata-orders-110-buses-from-new-flyer

Being that they will get diesels, I wonder if the order can possibly come from Anniston and up north.

Those are probably to replace the last of WMATA’s Orion VIIs, both 35 and 40 fts. I’ll miss them, such great buses and such tall windows.

For years, WMATA’s 2-3 Virginia garages were exclusively Orion VIIs and were only present at 1 other garage in the system, Bladensburg (WMATA’s equivalent of Pace South). I remember when I would be going to and from school and being excited a Orion VII showed up instead one of the C40LFs.

These have to be some of the last Orion buses operating. WMATA still has some Orion VII NGs, as well as New York & Seattle (and Toronto too, I think?) but the sun is almost setting on these buses. At least these Orion’s will retire peacefully unlike the Orion Vs and Orion VIs WMATA had