Bustracker

Busjack

Here's the problem though about Pace bus tracker, it's not that accurate because it doesn't show the exact ETA. It only goes by the schedule.

That depends. At least the website shows the ETA for the next bus, but the next two are per schedule. (The only thing at much of a frequency this late at night is 352, and it showed ETA for 2 buses and variance from schedule:)352.thumb.jpg.22ae44c833b5760094c11afd90

Why I said the one at Linden was worthless was that since it is a terminal, it would only show the scheduled departure time. I'm not sure what you used as a comparison, but Forest Park would be the same.

I also mentioned that there are ads on the bus shelters on Dempster for a psychic, which may avoid the need for a tracker.

Here's the problem though about Pace bus tracker, it's not that accurate because it doesn't show the exact ETA. It only goes by the schedule.

The thing is that the website works (99% of the time, save ghost buses), but getting that (particular) real-time data translated to a functional real-time tracker display is hard (especially if you're using different frequencies and software). One of the concerns I've glanced in the Ventra app is that it's identifying the next bus number, but the times listed is scheduled, not actual. However, Metra and CTA are both accurate (even if they are late).

Edited by MetroShadow
added for techie stuff.
  • Upvote 2

The thing is that the website works (99% of the time, save ghost buses), but getting that (particular) real-time data translated to a functional real-time tracker display is hard (especially if you're using different frequencies and software). 

That basically gets down to that CTA discloses its developer tools, so we know what it is doing and how to create a Bus Tracker display, while Pace does not.

... One of the concerns I've glanced in the Ventra app is that it's identifying the next bus number, but the times listed is scheduled, not actual. However, Metra and CTA are both accurate (even if they are late).

Maybe the Ventra app answers the question how CTA and Pace get on the same screen, but as you say, it isn't there yet. There certainly is a need for a display that the next 381 is in 5 minutes and the next 95W is in 18 minutes because it is 3 minutes late.

Maybe the Ventra app answers the question how CTA and Pace get on the same screen, but as you say, it isn't there yet. There certainly is a need for a display that the next 381 is in 5 minutes and the next 95W is in 18 minutes because it is 3 minutes late.

I think a possible next step is to definitely aggregate/match the two together.

The 381/95W example, say, at Longwood/Rock Island uses two separate stops (i.e. one for 381 and the other for 95W), but not together. This is where Transit App may be advantageous because everything is located at one stop.

And the GTFS data is still available, but nothing for real-time (yet).

That must be new. They could really use something at Belmont/Blue line. There's always someone waiting for a bus there.

There is a BustRacker display for westbound #77 Belmont buses at Kimball. It is the CTA four-line amber non-Titan type. I think it was installed in early September.

There is a BustRacker display for westbound #77 Belmont buses at Kimball. It is the CTA four-line amber non-Titan type. I think it was installed in early September.

Damn, I don't know where it is cause I didn't see it. BTW, I checked out the Jeff Pk one in the north terminal shelter, it's not a titan sign, it's just one of those shelter signs. It was displaying only the buses from the north terminal, so what about the south terminal? I didn't get to see if it was doing #270 or not, but I remember it was showing four routes. #85, #85A, #92 and something else. Then the day I went on the NW tollway I was all excited to see the new sign at Rosemont, but it wasn't working. WTH? 9_9 I still don't see anything at Harlem, but I was checking out Rosemont's platform, it's starting to look good again. They fixed all the lights, looks like to LED and they have one of those blue cherry pickers on the platform and are painting the walls of the skylights, they need to hit the north side railing, it's a rusty mess, looks like the Titanic. xD This station has been getting all the work on the Kennedy so far, but I notice a few really weird looking LED strips on the Irving Pk platform. The platform is dark and looks like it's from 1970. Maybe they plan to fix that. We can hope.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the bus arrival boards on the shelters were either dead on Saturday, Oct. 17 or displaying that there wasn't any info on the bus arrival times.

But it did work on my phone, so I don't know what went wrong.

There must have been a problem in the data link between the server and the bus shelters. I don't know what they use (i.e. radio, cable, etc.).

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well they finally got the Rosemont Bustracker signs working in the bus terminal. The only problem is it's not showing the buses!!

As indicated by the blue bus, there aren't any CTA buses stopping there, so unless it is an RTA project, it won't. However, did someone say that there are some joint signs?

43 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They actually have a car card I was looking at on a train yesterday advertising for the Ventra app where they show the #379, #383 and #384 on those signs. Now that is wishful thinking.

Hard to figure out what they were trying to convey, other than the usual graphic designer without a grip on reality.

The Ventra app is supposed to have all 4 trackers, but why show a sign to convey that, as opposed to the app itself?

Otherwise, #379, #383 and #384 show a need for a regional solution, especially since there at least used to be signs that you could take any, in addition to 54B to Ford City. Obviously, Rosemont and Forest Park need a regional solution. As Tcmeto indicates, maybe there is one.

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well they finally got the Rosemont Bustracker signs working in the bus terminal. The only problem is it's not showing the buses!!

565fd91d96b31_ctabusarrivaltimes.thumb.P

Well that's useless!! It's facing the wrong way for those going from bus to train to even notice it's there. Only people that it might help are those walking from the Park-n-ride lot.

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Well that's useless!! It's facing the wrong way for those going from bus to train to even notice it's there. Only people that it might help are those walking from the Park-n-ride lot.

Plus if you walk to the turnstiles at Rosemont that same sign is at the bottom of the stairs. If you look closely at one of those bus shelter signs (like the one I shot above) it has a bus symbol on the bottom, so sounds like they put up a sign and discovered it has no use. (if it's not set up for Pace.) So what does that say about the Forest Pk Blue line one? I think the Midway/Orange line titan sign does display Pace buses if i'm not mistaken. Maybe those blue line stops need a Titan sign.

• 3 months later...

Well how about that? I look up at the bus arrival information at Harlem/Blue line and it's now displaying Pace buses. Damn I might have to actually go out to Rosemont and see if that sign is still displaying the trains or what.

56da50db4990f_pacebustrackersign.thumb.P

56da50d3c7798_pacebustrackersigntake2.th

You know these signs are really helpful. If Pace has the info aboard the bus to display on a CTA bustracker sign, why don't Pace set up a few of it's own signs at major locations like Woodfield or Golf Mill or the Des Plaines Metra. Too bad they couldn't even incorporate this into their shelters. In certain ways CTA is light years ahead of Pace, especially in technology. Funny because they all belong to parent RTA. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well how about that? I look up at the bus arrival information at Harlem/Blue line and it's now displaying Pace buses.

If one is at Harlem Blue Line station, I don't know what good it is to post a sign that 209 and 423 are arriving at Harlem CTA. It would make more sense if, like CTA 88 and 90, it said to where it was going, whether to 209 DES PL METRA or 423 LINDEN CTA.

20 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

why don't Pace set up a few of it's own signs at major locations like Woodfield or Golf Mill or the Des Plaines Metra.

There are requisitions to do it at the Harvey and Chicago Heights TCs, There at least was one at Linden.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

If one is at Harlem Blue Line station, I don't know what good it is to post a sign that 209 and 423 are arriving at Harlem CTA. It would make more sense if, like CTA 88 and 90, it said to where it was going, whether to 209 DES PL METRA or 423 LINDEN CTA.

There are requisitions to do it at the Harvey and Chicago Heights TCs, There at least was one at Linden.

They probably don't have the info to put up "to Des Plaines Metra" or wherever. Maybe that requires more programming. I watched and the #423 did pull out when the timer was no minutes left. So it is working right time wise. To a lay person, enough info is displayed, only us busfans would notice the particulars.

I tell you if Rosemont is working at rush it has #895, the rosemont mall shuttle, #600, #610, #230, #326, #303, #616, #606, #223, #221 all on one sign. Soon also it will have a smorgasborg of buses when the I-90 express corridor opens. They almost could use a Titan sign there.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

To a lay person, enough info is displayed, only us busfans would notice the particulars.

Not really. A 423 could only be going to Glenview or some school, or TO GARAGE.

If the IBS knows what the next trip on an interline ism the information is there, but the coordination is not.

You'll note on these,they do have the Pace destinations partially correct, 223 Tower-Mark, but otherwise they are messed up. Delta Cargo would be 332 and 606 would be NWTC or Woodfield Corp. Center. So, there is still work to be done.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

You'll note on these,they do have the Pace destinations partially correct, 223 Tower-Mark, but otherwise they are messed up. Delta Cargo would be 332 and 606 would be NWTC or Woodfield Corp. Center. So, there is still work to be done.

Seems like that ad with the sign showing 383 and 384 going to Orland Square predicted this.

44 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Seems like that ad with the sign showing 383 and 384 going to Orland Square predicted this.

Only thing is #383 don't go to Orland Square, so yes the sign and prediction is exactly correct. :O Seems as if it was taken from real life and not shopped. Why else would it have the same mistakes?