Pace Electric Buses

chicagocubs6323

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/chicago/news/pace-set-to-begin-rolling-out-electric-buses-this-fall/

Saw this story on CBS about the electric buses. In the video they state the gillig electric bus will be out on the streets in November and the Proterra buses starting in March 2023. They asked the Pace rep how long a full run can be in miles and she said 300. The bus had 100 and something. What will it have in the winter??? They will either need line chargers or they are gonna have to switch the bus out after a few trips. All indications are charging equipment will just be at the garage.

Wow she said the bus had 126 miles on it and that is 76 percent charged. Wow that doesn't sound like too much. The proterras are supposed to be 300. You have to account for a loss of miles in the winter as the batteries will discharge faster. I don't know about the gillig. Maybe for a small run only. 

She's said several times that part of the test with the Giilig is to see how long of a schedule block it can stay charged and how performance is affected by winter in various divisions and if the bus is driven moderately. The consultants said that additional buses may be necessary if some blocks need to be divided.

Strangely, the consultant's report said that the blocks from River were longer than those from Plainfield. Maybe the River buses go out to Rosemont and stay out, while the I-55 buses go downtown and back.

For some of the longer round trips, 364 is 52 miles and 208 is 40 miles, and one would assume they would put chargers at the Harvey TC and NWTC. Biggest question is 565 or 572/574/272, which is about 80 miles.

You know to be accurate, if 126 miles is 76 percent, the bus must only be getting 166 miles roughly on a full charge. That sounds low. Does the gillig bus have an overhead charger? 

For Pace an electric bus is more difficult because they cover a big area. I got to see this on #272. That route is massive plus I think it turns into a #574 and then maybe a #565 to get it to Waukegan. This bus might be more suitable for a shuttle bug that don't go far. I wonder does idling burn power. Maybe the computer needs to tell the bus to hibernate or go to sleep in the terminal.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You know to be accurate, if 126 miles is 76 percent, the bus must only be getting 166 miles roughly on a full charge. That sounds low. Does the gillig bus have an overhead charger? 

For Pace an electric bus is more difficult because they cover a big area. I got to see this on #272. That route is massive plus I think it turns into a #574 and then maybe a #565 to get it to Waukegan. This bus might be more suitable for a shuttle bug that don't go far. I wonder does idling burn power. Maybe the computer needs to tell the bus to hibernate or go to sleep in the terminal.

I think Pace would have to consider building a charging center at CLC in addition to its Pulse point at Washington and Sheridan 

Since multiple routes serve CLC, it makes sense to have charging stations there, and that solves the 272/574/565 dilemma  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder does idling burn power.

Nope, except to run the heat. There isn't any engine to idle, as opposed to the ineffective Highland Park hybrid buses. The L doesn't pull power when it is stopped. In fact, the regenerative braking results in a gain.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think Pace would have to consider building a charging center at CLC in addition to its Pulse point at Washington and Sheridan 

On the theory that garage charging is preferable, the garage at 14th and Jackson isn't that far from downtown.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, artthouwill said:

Since multiple routes serve CLC, it makes sense to have charging stations there, and that solves the 272/574/565 dilemma  

Does Pace have the money to provide CLC for space for said charging? While it's ideal, it is entirely up to the College to offer it (and that might be a hefty ask of space).